A new Fallout game... by Obsidian?

I was thinking for a while about this whole business with Obsidian.

Not sure who is responsible for doing this approach- Beth or Zenimax. If Zenimax is doing it, then maybe they want to try out how the different developer will carry on this project?

Zenimax owns Bethesda right? They should be aware of Beth's last problems they caused (The Pitt not working, lots and lots of bugs), and how they piss all over the fanbase (old one and the new one).

This is what I would do- see how another company would make the project. It's a business IMO, and now we see that they allow hiring people from the old Fallouts, when previously during FO3's development they were rejecting people like Boyarsky.

Maybe Zenimax is looking for a better developer to continue the franchise?

( i was pondering the EXACT same thing last evening. and then i went..."nah, that'd be too perfect.")

i mean....Bethesda seemed to have VERY strong conviction that Fallout was theirs and they were going to do it their way. they didn't appear to be even considering something like this a few years ago.

Public said:
But the franchise was bought for Zenimax's money, right?

yeah, i see your angle...and it might be true. i guess what led me to the same optimistic speculation was "why the sudden change of heart?"

Or maybe the Beth folks ain't so bad guys after all, thought ol' Obsidian deserved a crack at it and suggested a cheap outsourcing cash-in project to their moneygrubbing bosses.
Maybe that was the best they could do, since they couldn't go directly against the big wigs' wishes for the franchise.
Maybe all that stuff Pete, Emil, and Todd said, was lines directly fed to them by Zenimax.
Maybe every fault found in FO3 was carefully orchestrated for the pleasure of the target audience, thereby increasing the cashflow for the Illuminati members running Zenimax.
Maybe Occam couldn't handle the truth!

Wait, why the fuck is everybody thinking Bethesda did such a nice thing?
It's just more milking and I won't believe this will be any less of a dumbed down RPG until it will be proven.
Also, who is to tell Bethesda doesn't direct everything Obsidian will make?

Public said:
I was thinking for a while about this whole business with Obsidian.

Not sure who is responsible for doing this approach- Beth or Zenimax. If Zenimax is doing it, then maybe they want to try out how the different developer will carry on this project?

Zenimax owns Bethesda right? They should be aware of Beth's last problems they caused (The Pitt not working, lots and lots of bugs), and how they piss all over the fanbase (old one and the new one).

This is what I would do- see how another company would make the project. It's a business IMO, and now we see that they allow hiring people from the old Fallouts, when previously during FO3's development they were rejecting people like Boyarsky.

Maybe Zenimax is looking for a better developer to continue the franchise?
No, this is just a quick cash in that they are outsourcing to another dev. It actually happens regularly with quick ports, sequels, and spin-offs. This seems to be similar to Obsidians past relationship with Bioware. Bethesda already made the IP famous. Obsidian can come in to make a quick buck while Beth works on the next TES. Bioware and Bethesda are actually in similar situations in that they have more success than they can fully take advantage of.

No, this is just a quick cash in that they are outsourcing to another dev. It actually happens regularly with quick ports, sequels, and spin-offs. This seems to be similar to Obsidians past relationship with Bioware. Bethesda already made the IP famous. Obsidian can come in to make a quick buck while Beth works on the next TES. Bioware and Bethesda are actually in similar situations in that they have more success than they can fully take advantage of.

That's another theory.

This is a ridiculous fantasy that has no place in rational thought.

Don't be a penis.

Maybe if Fallout 3 was some kind of failure in the eyes of pretty much anyone but NMA

Is NMA a one person?

The game is not a failure (pretty much most major games are successes nowadays), but the design is messed up.

But probably they don't give a damn, because the society is dumb, so yep my theory is probably wrong...

TwinkieGorilla said:
Daimyo, he was the lead on Planescape, put together the Fallout Bible and was working on VB. i think he also led KOTOR2.

(is that what you were wondering?)

I knew all that, I was wondering about the meaning of the "M"

:D

Thanks for reminding me though.

I would make love to Chris Avellone right now.

(My wife is on the veranda and I am drunk, but still)

:)

As a sequel to a series that was supposed to emulate a back-to-basics PnP based approach, rather than trendy pandering to the LCD it is.
I think you'll find most people here recognize it as a decent "run around and do kool shit" kind of diversion. But you'd actually have to put aside your bias for a moment and actually take a moment to listen to what people are saying instead of pigeonholing everyone into your preconceived notion of what you think and then rail against them with your self-righteous indignation.

Public said:

Zenimax bigwig 1: I see we’re loosing potential customers with the turn the fallout 3 has taken. That slice at the pie-chart needs to get bigger.

Zenimax bigwig 2: You’re right; something has to be done about it. Pete, any suggestions for a quick cash in? A spin-off, maybe?

Pete: May, I point out to Obsidian, sir. They aren’t as good as us, but the old fanbase value them high, and appreciate anything goes out of them. It’s a sure hit.

Zenimax bigwig 1: Good, make that call to Obsidian HQs, Pete ASAP.

Pete: Aye,Aye sir.

mountaingoat said:
Zenimax bigwig 1: I see we’re loosing potential customers with the turn the fallout 3 has taken. That slice at the pie-chart needs to get bigger.

Zenimax bigwig 2: You’re right; something has to be done about it. Pete, any suggestions for a quick cash in? A spin-off, maybe?

Pete: May, I point out to Obsidian, sir. They aren’t as good as us, but the old fanbase value them high, and appreciate anything goes out of them. It’s a sure hit.

Zenimax bigwig 1: Good, make that call to Obsidian HQs, Pete ASAP.

Pete: Aye,Aye sir.

i doubt very much that the reality is that different from this lulz.

Public said:
That's another theory.
It's a theory that actually makes sense. You've got this bizarro view of the situation, as if Zenimax is terribly interested in the Fallout IP for its own sake. To a large extent, Zenimax was created to own Bethesda. It's not just a random multimedia company that happened to pick them up. Bethesda is by far their crown jewel (and it really isn't much of a crown otherwise), and I can't see how they would be unhappy with 4.7 million units shipped. If Beth really botched FO3, then this is the last thing that would happen. They wouldn't be eager to throw good money after bad. We would actually start to see changes at Bethesda. No more Pete and Todd. :(

TwinkieGorilla said:
they could have chosen anybody. they chose Obsidian for a reason. they're hoping to cater to BOTH camps.
So, did LucasArts call on Obsidian because they wanted to appeal to the hardcore FO fans? This argument would be more compelling if Obsidian had ever produced a full game that wasn't a sequel to a more successful RPG dev's original work. It's certainly nice that they have an interest in FO, but this sort of thing is their bread and butter. It's how they have made it this far.

TwinkieGorilla said:
i refuse to believe this is just a happy coincidence, duders. sorry.
It's absolutely not a coincidence. If you've got a successful RPG franchise, and you are looking for some freelancers to make a sequel/spin-off, then you should call Obsidian. I'm sure that their interest in Fallout only strengthened their pitch, but the impetus for this sort of thing comes from the fact that Beth thinks that there is more demand for their products than they can possibly meet. With the cancellation of Aliens, choosing Obsidian would have been a no brainer even if they were interested in farming out TES rather than Fallout.

with a game from Obsidian. Does that mean we will finally get a true good third person perspective ? :mrgreen:

Back