Age Cap

Faceless_Stranger said:
My buddie's dad had early stages of flesh-eating disease on his leg and STILL had to wait for half-a-day to get it checked, even then, the only reason they did pull him in was because it had gotten to the point where if they had waited any longer, he would've lost his leg. Now, I wonder who was being treated during those many hours of waiting?

Wait are you saying the doctors made a mistake during triage? Oh my god that has never happened before. Sir. I think you win the argument.

Seriously, old people/sick people are allowed to die at a certain point. Usually that point is when doctors cannot do anymore. Even then in the case of cancer patients for instance we will try to prolong their life as much as we can.

The reason for this is that we try to keep people alive for as long as possible today. Why? Because they usually want to live as long as possible. Even a shitty life is better than none.

mmm tasty old people...

soylent_green-749218.gif

Faceless_Stranger said:
My buddie's dad had early stages of flesh-eating disease on his leg and STILL had to wait for half-a-day to get it checked, even then, the only reason they did pull him in was because it had gotten to the point where if they had waited any longer, he would've lost his leg. Now, I wonder who was being treated during those many hours of waiting?
Sick people who had been diagnosed properly.

You make it sound as if doctors are deliberately not treating sick people because they enjoy it. If you really think that, you're an idiot.

Sander said:
You make it sound as if doctors are deliberately not treating sick people because they enjoy it. If you really think that, you're an idiot.
I just mean that their aren't enough doctors to go around, and people do make mistakes. Having an emergency room filled with people that may or may not be sick doesn't help, I'm trying to make the point that people will exploit the system, so we need to filter through.

You just make me want to lose faith in your generation, how can you say someone is worthless simply because they are old, I have four relatives who are over 100, and are still functioning better than a lot of these obese lazy Americans, you want to kill them just because they are old? Just because you age dose not mean you can no longer function. There is absolutely no reason someone should die because you don't want to wait an hour to get a sprained wrist looked at, I recently got my liver replaced, and If I had to wait because of someone like you I wouldn't be here right now. You need to accept that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the you.

Whoa, John B., fur relatives over 100? That's impressive. And liver replacement for you? How old are you?

All my grandparents died around 70. But yesterday, I was at my brother's wedding and the bride's grandfather is well over 80 - but he was so full of energy and generally 'on it' that I had a hard time believing his age - he had a cell phone and kept up with all the 'modern' conversations. I got baked and we chatted for hours about architecture and old vs. digital cameras... I was well impressed, wandering if I'll ever reach his age and be in such a good condition :)

I think we should forget the age and just kill off all the weak people, Like fat people, disabled people, mentally retarded, etc. all people who are unable to function in society basically. They are all slowing down the queue for all us healthy young people. We should also get the jews and gypsies, we can make camps for them. Oh wait, that one has been tried before I think...

Faceless_Stranger said:
I assume youre quite young. (I am not that old either, but I would guess from your posts youre below your 20s ...)

Dont come up with such extreme cases as its just as useless like to explain that there are ilegal aliens which have stolen the car from your cousin so "the'are all bad cause one stole a car from my buddies dad" or something. Thats a falacy. If you just want to get emotions thats ok. But not in that way. There are always negative and positive examples.

The whole medical health care system needs reforms which counts for the threatment of old AND young people. Thats a fact. Youre not usualy waiting cause of elderly people but cause (as like others already said) there are simply not enough working in the hospitals. Its similar here. We have a huge problem with it cause there is a big need for the workers but it has pretty low payment and long work time. So naturaly not that many do it.

If you really want to change something then use your anger and voice to make the system as whole better for everyone. Encourage politians for reforms or vote someone who has a plan or wants to change it so there will be a better healthcare for the citizens. Old people are members of our societies just like young people and they have the same right for threatments like anyone else.

I've had a lot of experience with health care in Wisconsin over the past few years, and I can say for a fact that two groups consume about 75% of the resources. One is old people (for obvious reasons) and the other is fat people -- not 20 or 30 pounds overweight fat people, but gigantic, waddling, bulbous, wider-than-they-are-tall fat people. I've spent hours sitting in clinic waiting rooms watching old people, fat people, and the occasional pregnant woman come in and out.

If I had to make a choice, I'd cut off fat people first. Everyone who lives long enough eventually gets old, but gross obesity...well, you had your chance.

The other observation I have about health care generally is that people have absurdly high expectations. Based on my personal experience, I wouldn't trust a doctor to diagnose a paper cut. Not that they're ill-intentioned or anything, but they have an undeserved societal reputation for omniscience. Never blindly trust what a doctor tells you, ever. If you do you're asking for trouble.

Faceless_Stranger said:
Ok, well, maybe I was being a bit extreme. How should we reform the system? Any suggestions from you good folks?
I am not sued with your health care system so youre asking here eventualy the wrong people. Also I doubt that anyone of us here will really come up with usefull suggestions. We lack the expertise. But a good start would be to search for politicans that have plans in that field and see what ideas they have or to talk with people that work in that field.

Loxley said:
Eh? Why should we reform the system?
Because every one needs that once in a while. People and situations change. A system like the health care should be changed acordingly. Of course thats from a perspective here in Germany as we have a few issues with it. We pay more and more but get less service while directors of health care companies increase their earnings and a lot of other things need improvements as well. Or that there is a serious need of labor in the health care buisness.

UniversalWolf said:
If I had to make a choice, I'd cut off fat people first. Everyone who lives long enough eventually gets old, but gross obesity...well, you had your chance.
Indeed! Letz just throw all those people out! Who are they that they rest their lazy asses (fat as well!) on OUR time and money!

Guys are you crazy or something ? I dont want to go in to the individual problems of people ... but god do I hope you NEVER EVEr have to face complicated issues like some have (adiposeness).

There's 'glandular' fat and there's cheesburger fat.

Cutting off fat people is still extreme, but at least it has its logic - being fat is mostly a lifestyle choice (and as such can be avoided), being old isn't.

About a year ago I had bronchitis so I decided to go see a doc about it, was almost cured though so no biggie but went anyway. Had to wait around 5-6 hours to get to see the doc. These hospitals should seriously start to organise their systems better, design a quicker system, hire more docs if needed.

And no I'm not in favour of final solution to old people, fatties, invalids, etc.

In my country if you call an ambulance for a sick old person, the ambulance takes more than 15 minutes to arrive, sometimes half an hour to 45 minutes.

If you report a young peson being sick, they'll be at yout door in less than 10 minutes.

SkuLL said:

Cutting off fat people is still extreme, but at least it has its logic - being fat is mostly a lifestyle choice (and as such can be avoided), being old isn't.
Might aswell cut of all smokers when they develop respitory problems/heart problems/cancer if one shall use that logic. In the end money talks and even fat/old/smokers pay taxes and should then get treatment. Amongst those that do get treatment and to achive the highest amount of survival amongst patients one must do triage. That means you will be bypassed by people whose injuries might be life threatening when yours is not. If you want to get ahead in the line go get a better insurance and go to a hospital that will accept it.

Loxley said:
SkuLL said:

Might aswell cut of all smokers when they develop respitory problems/heart problems/cancer if one shall use that logic. [snip]
I agree with you. I was just saying that even though it's extreme, cutting off fat people / smokers (i.e. people who cause their condition) at least makes a little bit more sense than cutting off old people (i.e. everyone).

I don't believe anyone should be cut off like that, however.

Back