Aliens: Colonial Marines one letter typo fixes AI issues

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Squadcar, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Squadcar

Squadcar Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 1, 2018
    From arstechnica, https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...typo-led-to-aliens-colonial-marines-awful-ai/

Doubt it's something that fixes the game but a small typo changing that much AI behavior is hilarious to me and I thought I'd share.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  2. Cliffy McEdgeface

Cliffy McEdgeface bitch I will cut you

Jun 28, 2018
    ALL BECAUSE CLIFFY B AND HIS CRACK TEAM CAN'T SPELL "TETHER" RIGHT

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Like, fuck Cliff Bazinga for a lot of things but the Aliens: Colonial Marines debacle(s) in PARTICULAR.

3. Big No

Big No Watch as I open and close this door

Oct 28, 2014
    It's pretty amazing, basic spellchecking would've done wonders for the AI. The game would've still sucked, but it'd be something.

4. Squadcar

Jun 1, 2018
    Yeah that's my thought process. It would have had bad reviews still but would they have been nearly as abysmal? Can anyone here confirm? I never bought or played it.

5. Proletären

Proletären Mildly Dipped

Mar 15, 2012
    This overhaul mod fixes a lot of stuff including the AI issues mentioned above. I haven't played Colonial Marines yet but I intend to do so with the overhaul mod. Story and characters might still be shit though.

6. CT Phipps

CT Phipps Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Sep 17, 2016
    I played the game....my god it is an enormous pile of shit.

EVERYTHING IS AWFUL.

* graphics
    * Lore
    * story
    * gameplay
    * shooting
    * characters

All awful!

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  7. Cliffy McEdgeface

Jun 28, 2018
    I remember Gearbox being actually not that bad. They gave us Half-Life Opposing Force, after all. What the fuck happened?

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  8. CT Phipps

Sep 17, 2016
    There's corporate propaganda both ways but the story basically can be summed up as Gearbox devoted all of their efforts, resources, and coders to doing Borderlands 2 and treated Colonial Marines as a shitty side project they were being paid to do.

They may (accent on may) have taken the money set aside for it and given them by Sega to pad B2's budget too.

What Gearbox didn't expect was Colonial Marines to have a HUGE initial set of purchases because they weren't controlling the marketing for the game and Sega had actual hopes for Gearbox to revive the franchise.

As such, their corporate reputation took a massive hit as creators of one of the worst games of all time.

9. Cliffy McEdgeface

Jun 28, 2018
    I remember reading about Cliffy stealing Sega's money, yeah. How long has Bleszinski been in charge, anyway?

10. CT Phipps

Sep 17, 2016
    Whether they embezzled from Sega or not is anyone's guess but they made a lemon and did the bare minimum of effort. I'm not a hard man to impress but it was awful.

We could have gotten another Alien: Isolation but instead got ET: The Game Part 2.

11. Cliffy McEdgeface

Jun 28, 2018
    HAHA HOLY SHIT I'M DUMB
    It's Pitchford in charge of Gearbox, not Cliff.

Brain totally went "retard with long last name" and managed to pull up the wrong retard.

Just sub in Randy Pitchford for all instances of Cliff Bleszinski. Jesus fuckin christ I'm too drunk to be posting right now.

12. CT Phipps

Sep 17, 2016
    https://www.destructoid.com/anonymous-whistle-blower-claims-gearbox-stole-from-sega-246558.phtml

A Gamasutra article was used to back up the claim. The article in question is an interview with Pitchford, in which he explains how his studio got the rights to Duke Nukem Forever.

"It clearly shows that Pitchford and Gearbox wanted to focus heavily on Duke Nukem Forever, but how would they get the money to hire some of the 3D Realms team and even buy the intellectual property? Sure, they made a lot from Borderlands, but guess where they got the money to fund Borderlands in the first place? Yup, SEGA.

"So Gearbox essentially lied to SEGA, mishandled funds, broke agreements and contractual obligations to work on other projects, didn't want to work on a game they were contractually obligated to work on and gave it to another team, poor organization and direction on ACM, took on too many projects from different companies at once, and other things that we may not even know about. Hell, part of me believes that Gearbox wanted this thing delayed as much as possible so they can get more funding money to embezzle from SEGA."

13. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    I cringed at the story. Can Relate.

14. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    I also heard the story about the money Sega gave to Gearbox for the development of Aliens Colonial Marines being misappropriated/used for the development of Borderlands 2 instead.
    I do recall that another studio was called in to work on ACM as well, if it was just multiplayer or also the single player mode I do not recall but I do know that they went bankrupt because of this fiasco.

Even if the AI had been better the campaign and the storyline are still shit.

Now I have something to share which does involve some secrecy and privacy but I have had a look at earlier design documents for Aliens Colonial Marines and in particular the main campaign.
    Let me just say that the scope of that campaign was much broader than what we got in the final game, really more an alien war like in the Dark Horse comics rather than a repeat of Aliens with Weyland Yutani troops thrown in. Settings like a colonized Mars and a couple of other places and a storyline in which W-Y eventually looses control of their xenomorph experiments.
    Basically the stuff fans wanted to see after Aliens.

However I cannot share these documents because I promised my source that I wouldn't.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  15. Cliffy McEdgeface

Jun 28, 2018
    Good man. More integrity than a good chunk of the press, I would say.

Though I will admit I am intensely curious.

16. PlanHex

PlanHex Useless layabout oTO Moderator Orderite

Nov 4, 2007
    Obsidian's Alien game was cancelled to pour more money into this...

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  17. Uber Morpth

Uber Morpth First time out of the vault

Jul 10, 2018
    As much I loved Borderlands 1/2 (Didn't like Pre Sequal at all being more of a rehashed BL2 without any of the good things) the company's recent actions and spesficly Clif's has really turned me off of there product's, even for Borderlands 3 I'm a little worried I just hope the bad side of the company hasn't gotten to it yet.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  18. Ayelander

Ayelander Big Man

Jun 30, 2018
    This kind of incompetence is admirable. What an amazing devteam.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  19. CT Phipps

Sep 17, 2016
    The actual game is amazingly shit. Just let me describe the story:

The protagonists are Colonial Marines who are sent to investigate the derelict ship from Aliens (which dropped its pods in Alien 3) only for them to go back to the colony (which was NUKED I remind people). There, Weyland Yutani have set up a massive facility to study the aliens. They find Hick's character (who died on another planet!) still alive.

Lance Henrikson's character shows up, they stop him.

It's the laziest stupidest writing I can think of. I write sci-fi too!

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  20. Squadcar

Jun 1, 2018
    That really upsets me. I have a feeling it could have been pretty great.
    Seems to be the general consensus lol. Still funny that it could have been not as bad if not for a typo.
    Also, crazy thing you shared there. Thanks for that. And if you truly have a source who gave you that, I wouldn't reveal it either.