Alpha Protocol

SuAside said:
@Edmond Dantès:

Didn't know that about Madison. She was an annoying piece o' shit anyway.
[spoiler:9d0f497544]Can you save her AND save the museum somehow? With the 'attack' option in the dialogue after defusing the bombs perhaps?[/spoiler:9d0f497544]

Nope, can't do both. I've read that in veteran there are certain choices though where, instead of actually choosing, you can do both because of your sudden awesomeness. Well, basically because the game allows you to be more awesome really, but it's a nice touch.

After playing the game a few times in "normal" modes, veteran is a somewhat fresh experience, even though there are just very few veteran options in the dialogues.

This game is so much the best game 2010 for me so far. :P

Lexx said:
This game is so much the best game 2010 for me so far. :P

So who was this game built for…obviously not the console obsessed teen with sweaty fingers? And did Obsidian misread as to who their target audience were and how to market to that crowd. :shock:

No clue who's the main target audience. I personally am not playing any console games nor can I use a controller (I totally suck and break my hands using such thing). Last time I played something on console was Resident Evil Remake and MGS: TTS on GameCube and it's some time ago already.

Don't know who they intended the game to be made for, but I'm a PC all the way guy. And judging from the stats over on metacritic, the PC crowd is the one most positive about the game (PC: 74, PS3: 67, XBOX: 65). The same goes for user scores at that site (PC: 76, PS3: 62, XBOX: 64).

The controls might not be entirely intuitive for the PC, but once you get used to them, they're not that bad. I actually quite like closing my menu's through the right mouse button. Saves me from scrolling to some exit button.

I think the interface is awesome in this game. you can easily reach everything whenever, and stepping back/closing menus with the right mouse button is very handy.

aenemic said:
I think the interface is awesome in this game. you can easily reach everything whenever, and stepping back/closing menus with the right mouse button is very handy.
Wait, what?

Euhm, no. Just no.

A lot of stuff requires multiple steps, scroll wheel doesn't work, buttons are often 'broken' (the selected button conflicts with the button your mouse is hovering over), the dialogue buttons are fucking retarded, the stealth radar tracking arrows are often shitty,...

Both bad basic interface design + bad console port to PC.

well, maybe I should have added "not counting the bugs". I like the structure of it.

what exactly requires multiple steps that shouldn't require multiple steps? you can reach your character sheet, inventory and map/objectives with hotkeys and if you want to go to another screen you don't have to exit and re-enter - you can simply right-click to the start screen and go from there. sure, dossiers require you to click an extra time but I didn't read dossiers frequently enough for that to bother me.

and the fact that you can still reach every screen before you go on a mission without having to close it down and enter the menu is great. can't really see how it could've been done any easier than how it is now.

but, obviously, the bugs need to be taken care of.

Ausir said:
Too bad that you can't scroll text with the mouse wheel.
I didn't have a chance to try that out since my mouse wheel is broken. :oops:

I think you're a bit biased here. As said above, the interface is quite horrible, stupid animations make the menus take more time than needed too. Also, I don't see the action skill menu really usable, it's not easy to switch between the abilities when needed. I mostly keep the Chain shot, though some of the stealth skills could prove useful. I just don't use them often because of the interface. :?

I hope they release a patch as soon as possible, and a big one. I haven't noticed any game-breaking bug so far, but I could do without the little camera glitches and the object clipping.

Not being able to scroll with the mouse wheel is one big issue. And being able to quickly use abilities with e.g. numerical keys would also be quite an improvement. No one thought of it, though, simply because the interface was made for consoles.

Pressing 4 to switch from Shadow Operative to Chain Shot would be much better than pressing Z, then pointing and clicking.

Yep, they could've easily made the controls better. At least give the option to quickly access everything you need to play the game without additional menu's. A keyboard has this wonderful accessible way to access a lot, through numerical keys and the F1 to F12 keys. Otherwise, at least give a scrollable option, with for example [] and ; ' buttons to scroll through available gadgets and skills. Better even, provide both. And yes, really, a functional scrollwheel.

Also, a minimap would've been nice, and although you can access the map through m, when exiting it you go back through another menu instead of going back to the game.

All in all, the interface really isn't top notch, but in the end it didn't bother me that much. I never used more than 2-3 skills or 1 gadget at a time anyway, and I never really needed a map anyway.

Sadly, the maps have been too small and linear to make the overview map really useful. I just used the map if there has been two yellow targets and I didn't knew which one will lead me to an optional target and which one will lead me to the next main target, which will block the path for me to solve the optional target...

Yeah, I've been buying almost all intel except the maps, since they're pretty damn useless.

[spoiler:445d7e7502]http://alphaprotocol.wikia.com/wiki/Scarlet_Lake

It seems you can only rescue Scarlet if you have a high enough standing with her. Interesting...[/spoiler:445d7e7502]

Anyway, this was a very enjoyable game. I liked it alot....

aenemic, it's pretty damn annoying to have to load menus to swap something simple like action skills...
Verd1234 said:
[spoiler:4d6b0632e8]http://alphaprotocol.wikia.com/wiki/Scarlet_Lake

It seems you can only rescue Scarlet if you have a high enough standing with her. Interesting...[/spoiler:4d6b0632e8]
Interesting, but:
[spoiler:4d6b0632e8]I had high standing with her and still couldn't do it. It's probably because I picked contacting & convincing Parker over Downloading stuff to the PDA.[/spoiler:4d6b0632e8]

[spoiler:893af93804]Nope, I contacted Parker as well. I found Scarlet in the interrogation room, where I could pick her as new handler or kill her. With the handler option, I was leaving the island with her on the boat.

Also I've read somewhere, that other people got endings, where they founded their own agency with various characters from the game. Did anyone got this as well? I didn't.[/spoiler:893af93804]

Back