Am i a horrible human being?

Should kids be allowed to watch R rated movie?

• Total voters

Mr muggyman 3000

Lover of coffe cups
I was babysitting my 13 year old cousin a couple of weeks ago . He's a good kid, polite, smart, likes video games etc. so where sitting on the couch doing nothing( it was raining hard so we couldn't really go anywhere). So I Go to my blue ray collection and pick out a couple of classics of my childhood. "The toxic avenger,and the evil dead trilogy.

We Binged watch all of them back to back, we were having a good time hanging out. About a day later his mom calls me screaming at the top of her lungs how I "Runied he"s innocence" and how much of a bad influence I am to him. I honestly don't understand the problem I watched movies like those all the time when I was his age, and I ended up pretty ok. My cousin is a smart kid he's not gonna shoot up a school just because he saw toxie shove a mop in a guy's mouth. It's sad that his own mother thinks he's some fragile snowflake that needs to be protected from the evil boobies

TL;DR. I'm asshole because I showed my cousin some of my fave movies of my childhood.

Last edited:
Classic.
If your cousin plays on PC or hanhelds, i bet a foot that he has plenty of 16-18 (I don't understand the American rating) rated games and his mom doesn't even notice.

Classic.
If your cousin plays on PC or hanhelds, i bet a foot that he has plenty of 16-18 (I don't understand the American rating) rated games and his mom doesn't even notice.
He does play 16-18,and here's the funny part his mom is totally ok/oblivious with the games he plays. I bought him fallout1/2 and nv last Christmas,and she didn't even bat a eye. She took one glance at fallout 2 and thought "oh it's just a bunch robot guys shooting at other robot guys" then she walked out of the room. I had to keep myself from laughter from her massive hypocrisy

I say it becouse my folks did the same thing, i played New Vegas while my brother couldn't get CID for his PS3 on the living room.
Eyes that don't see, heart that doesn't feel

She took one glance at fallout 2 and thought "oh it's just a bunch robot guys shooting at other robot guys" then she walked out of the room.
Your aunt has the same understanding of Fallout 2 as Bethesda doing Fallout 3 :lmao:

I don't get parents who think its a good idea to shelter their kids for as long as possible... shouldn't it be obvious that the longer they're sheltered, the more of a shock the real world would bring?
"Durp, sherk?" is probably what these kinds of parents would respond, so I take my hypothetical question back, and realize that these parents realize nothing, and nothing is ever obvious to them. "Obivers? Derp!"

Like those who insist its cute when their kid believes in Santa Claus up untill and after they've learned to shave.

I was babysitting my 13 year old cousin a couple of weeks ago . He's a good kid, polite, smart, likes video games etc. so where sitting on the couch doing nothing( it was raining hard so we couldn't really go anywhere). So I Go to my blue ray collection and pick out a couple of classics of my childhood. "The toxic avenger,and the evil dead trilogy.

We Binged watch all of them back to back, we were having a good time hanging out. About a day later his mom calls me screaming at the top of her lungs how I "Runied he"s innocence" and how much of a bad influence I am to him. I honestly don't understand the problem I watched movies like those all the time when I was his age, and I ended up pretty ok. My cousin is a smart kid he's not gonna shoot up a school just because he saw toxie shove a mop in a guy's mouth. It's sad that his own mother thinks he's some fragile snowflake that needs to be protected from the evil boobies

TL;DR. I'm asshole because I showed my cousin some of my fave movies of my childhood.
You didn't do anything wrong. Sooner or later, your cousin will be exposed to everything in this world anyway. And she doesn't own him... He's not her property. His mom sounds like a horrible human being, not you. In fact, you were being really nice to your cousin by introducing him to such awesome movies.

I watched the first Evil Dead movie when I was around that age (I think I was probably even younger, maybe 10 or 11) and a bunch of other horror movies and I also turned out fine. It was awesome growing up with an older brother that had good taste in movies and music :nod:.
If your cousin had fun and is smart enough to know the difference between movies and reality, then I see nothing wrong. He might even thank you one day when he is older. :dance:

How did the mom find out exactly which movies you showed to the kid? Was the kid having nightmares or something?

I remember looking at k-16 action movies that contained some pretty strong stuff (Predator) when I was like 12.

How did the mom find out exactly which movies you showed to the kid? Was the kid having nightmares or something?
That's a good question, a question I have no fucking answer to. All I know is After we finished watching the movies she picked him up, then a day or 2 later she starts screaming at me.

To answer answer your second question no he didn't get nightmares he was having a blast, he's not the type of kid who soils himself after seeing some blood splatter at the screen.

You did nothing wrong. Kid's mom is an idiot who knows shit about upbringing. I have several friends who were raised and treated as special snowflakes and they are still struggling with real life in their early/mid-twenties because of that.

As for films, good choice I guess.

My dad showed me Alien, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Jurassic Park and Terminator when I was 4 years old. Suffice to say that their influence on me was massive, and a positive one, but I imagine it could be seen as controversial.
Nonetheless, you did nothing wrong.

To answer answer your second question no he didn't get nightmares he was having a blast, he's not the type of kid who soils himself after seeing some blood splatter at the screen.

(I'm on a slow computer, I "liked" when I intended to reply, but fuck-it, you get a "like" anyway, unless it unliked again, as I lag-clicked again, either way - I intend to reply, thusly)

The irony of such stuff is, I imagine the movies you showed him made an impression on him. He might have mentioned this to his mother - or friends - in order to share his impression. His mother then freaks out. The irony being that his mother's reaction is probably more detrimental to his mental health than any scary movie.
I heard of a similar incident where someone I know cursed in front of a kid-and-mom, and the mother reacted like a furious valkyrie of death and war, completely blind to the hilarious irony of the situation. Terrified everyone nearby, including her own brat.

Those films you picked out are so cheesy anyway., it wouldn't make much difference.
I remember my dad not letting me watch Evil Dead 1 when I was 8, but I reckon that had something to do with the rape scene in it.
Plus my parents were always catious of 18 rated games, but my older brother would just let me play them anyway.

It was mostly the 18 rated stuff my parents were kinda iffy about, even then, by the age of 13/14, they stopped caring.

Then again, I have been watching stuff like salad fingers and listening to cradle of filth since I was like 8, I guess that stuff did leave an impression on me.

I did more or less the same thing to my cousin with more or less the same result, and to make up for it, I had to rim my aunt's asshole. So yeah, fuck third-wave feminism and fuck Hillary Clinton.

Tough issue. I used to think all censorship is bad. Now i'm not so sure. A movie might cause a kid to sleep badly. Maybe easier to obey the regulations. the kid will have time to see scary movies.

Back