Are aliens really that unwelcome in Fallout?

Fallout 2 also had magic... But yeah i'm not a big fan of most of the alien stuff besides special encounters and such.
Only things I can remember that are supernatural are Hakunin, Melzior or whatever the fuck the mutant wizard down in Mariposa is called, Sulik and the ghost lady.
I figured that Hakunin and Sulik are natural born psykers.

Only things I can remember that are supernatural are Hakunin, Melzior or whatever the fuck the mutant wizard down in Mariposa is called, Sulik and the ghost lady.
I figured that Hakunin and Sulik are natural born psykers.

Melchior IS a mage. I did not count the other loonies but as mentioned before we do have a ghost aswell. Not that i mind it.

I don't mind the ghost either but I really don't like Mel's Choir.
The ghost is ambiguous as to what it means about the afterlife.
Mutant-wizard is just straight summoning magic.

No, there has to be another reason...
Uh...
Oh...
Oh I got it.

Riohclem isn't a summoning wizard. He's an old super mutant Psyker who influences you mind into seeing things that aren't there. That's why you don't see crazier things come out of those vats like Gehenna's or Molechs, you only see what you are able to imagine and remember and what you can imagine or remember are the horrors of the wasteland you've already stumbled upon in your travels.

I don't mind the ghost either but I really don't like Mel's Choir.
The ghost is ambiguous as to what it means about the afterlife.
Mutant-wizard is just straight summoning magic.

No, there has to be another reason...
Uh...
Oh...
Oh I got it.

Riohclem isn't a summoning wizard. He's an old super mutant Psyker who influences you mind into seeing things that aren't there. That's why you don't see crazier things come out of those vats like Gehenna's or Molechs, you only see what you are able to imagine and remember and what you can imagine or remember are the horrors of the wasteland you've already stumbled upon in your travels.

Actually there is a kid mentioning him being a mage aswell :P

Wasn't there an explanation that the Super Mutant was an illusionist prior to being dipped? Or did I just make that up?

Wasn't there an explanation that the Super Mutant was an illusionist prior to being dipped? Or did I just make that up?

Yes, Melchior was a magician and not a wizard. The mutant creatures you would face are actually the animals he used to use for his show prior to be captured by the Enclave and coming into contact with the leftover FEV in Mariposa's ruins.

I'm pretty sure a good half of Fallout 2 is non-canon references at this point.

Pretty much. Everything that doesn't fit the Fallout tone should be taken with a grain of salt, especially the pop culture references.
Some elements of them are canon but they shouldn't be taken to literally. Take Skynet, the AI of the Sierra Army Depot VI, the idea of it being developed at this base is not a problem but the name is only a reference to the Terminator movies and should not be taken further as some literal indication that it is the Fallout universe version of that infamous machine intelligence.

Stuff like the Monty Python references should just be ignored as should anything implying real magic.
Psykers however do exist in the Fallout version but are extremely extremely rare, they are a mutant 'dead end' so to speak. (they can't pass on their abilities to offspring and have a tendency to go mad)
I think we should see Hakunin as a Psyker with some form of telepathy.

When they retcon the point of the Great War and the messages behind that conflict?

Yes.

What the fuckin fuck :look:

Also, the aliens need to go back to either being just an easter egg, or not having as much an impact. Canon aliens are neat, just no more bad dlc/missons and we're good.

The Skynet computer at Sierra Army Depot just told me it was constructed using alien technology, I didn't remember that. Who developed the SAD location and what has been said in regards to that?

Now that Fallout 4 has released and we've been exposed to exasperated sigh inducing lore about Lovecraftian cults/horrors and ancient civilizations buried underneath the Earth, it's got me thinking that perhaps little green men in UFOs aren't that out of place in Fallout.

Now, as a disclaimer I will say that regardless of what my thoguhts of aliens in Fallout are, Mothership Zeta was an awful DLC and the idea that aliens began the Great War is quite possibly the worst idea since placing a sex offenders clinic next to a school.

But yeah, are aliens really that out of place? I actually feel they're quite appropriate, what with the sci-fi craze of the 1950s with bulbous headed little green men being the most prominent among sci-fi images from that era. UFOs are an absolute classic pulp sci-fi story, and Fallout draws a lot of inspiration from that genre.

So, honestly I don't get the fuss. The odd reference or "They're out there" tier sighting would actually be a benefit to the setting in my book. Feel free to discuss and/or disagree.
There is an alien corpse inside The Glow. Aliens are canon, just like ghosts, magic and psykers :)

Back