Art stuff I did

yeah, that for sure. But its not finished anyway. Might do that one day.

This is finished. Only pencil. Still have to do much more with colours. Got some paper for acrylic and watercolor. Expensive stuff. I would try oil painting, but that is pretty much out of my range for now. When I have the money I am going to get some air brush equipment.

dragonscan2.jpg

also an old "poster" for another school project. Well the font was not that well chosen.

It says "accents black or white"

akzenteschwarzwei.jpg

I would rock that dragon on an extra medium T-shirt in a second. Chicks would dig it.

German bikers would pay a lot of money to have that dragon painted on their bikes. You could make a decent buck doing that.

I really like your work, Crni, you clearly have a lot of technical skill and abilities! I'm jealous, I suck at that sort of thing.

Since you love the crit, I'll make a few suggestions. Just know that I do it out of love.

First, go reaaaal easy on Photoshop filters; they stick out like a sore thumb. They should be used sparingly. You got a whole lot of texture across on your three headed purple piece, hats off to you, but the plastic wrap filter (or whichever) kinda killed it a little for me on second inspection. You obviously know how the texture should look and you're capable of doing it by hand which will pay off in the long run and looks better than cutting corners. Good practise too.

Soft brushes! I know, I know, I went there too. There's a lot of really cool texture brushes out there for free (deviantart is a good place to pick up a few), have fun experimenting with different settings. What version are you using? Oh man, I had a field day with brushes when CS1 came out, years ago! To get a nice, hard shine you'll definitely need a thin, hard brush on high opacity: If you lack a little faith in yourself like I do, set up a separate layer on top for it. I had a great tutorial on painting textures in photoshop but I lost it.

I know you're new with colours. Your palette is on the oversaturated side and lacks a certain harmony. I'd recommend having a look at some tutorials on swatches and colour theory because I'm not articulate enough to explain myself. It's something I'm also learning. I like messing with my colour levels to iron out my palette issues, but that's just me.

The stage right upper arm of your horny ram beast (under your sexy cthulu) looks a little off to me, not just because it looks a bit skewed and lacking thickness, but because there are two bones instead of just one humerus. That's me being nitpicky though. Your skeletal beasts are out of this world, seriously!

Having said all that, I really enjoyed looking at your work, it's a real treat :) I'm so jealous of your prowess with perspective and stuff!

I really hope this helps at least a little.

its all about practise though. You just do it over and over again. Something everyone can learn really. There are things out of this world and when I am watching some tutorials/art videos - like this - its really hard to believe one is capable of such quality work and I get the feeling its impossible to get there. But as said ... practise.

I am working with photoshop CS5 currently. Though some say painter can create some great results as well as photoshop seems to create always this "its shoped" quality which doesn't mean it looks worse just easier to recognize as work done in photoshop. And yeah ... I still have to get the hang out of the colour palette in photoshop. But hey! I heard some people needed like 7 years to master digital drawing. heh I guess I am on a good way. So I guess the more I work with it the better things will be over time.

I'd post some of my own bits and pieces but I'm on a borrowed laptop since my PC gave up the ghost.

A lot of my portfolio is floating around on the internet but it's covered in watermarks and I enjoy my relative anonymity on NMA :)

Wry said:
I'd post some of my own bits and pieces but I'm on a borrowed laptop since my PC gave up the ghost.

A lot of my portfolio is floating around on the internet but it's covered in watermarks and I enjoy my relative anonymity on NMA :)

Will we be shocked to find out who you are, resulting in a totally awkward atmosphere from then on? :o

Was it an exercise for borders, for symbols etc?
They are looking good and I'd like to hear more about what the school told you to draw (e.g - need some context :P ) Reminds me a wee bit of runic symbols mixed up with symbols from PS:T.

It was for one of the subjects (Schriftgrafik) where we learn something about fonts, their origin and use in history. Starts somewhere with the stoneage and the first use of symbols/drawings and it continues to different cultures like the Sumerian, Egyptians, Phoenicians, Greek, Romans. Now we are in the timeline of Carl the Great so we try to imitate their styles and doing some calligraphy. It is somewhat related to typography but that is a subject for it self and it is not about history but more the how to use the fonts. For example when you should use a font like Arial, Times or Courier and such.

This is finished. Only pencil. Still have to do much more with colours. Got some paper for acrylic and watercolor. Expensive stuff. I would try oil painting, but that is pretty much out of my range for now. When I have the money I am going to get some air brush equipment.

I like it.

Hold your horses with the colors, airbrushes, fancy bells and whistles. You don't need supercostly aht-paper for acrylics, you just need to ground ya some cardboard and you're set. Watercolour is hard as hell, and wouldn't reccommend you start on it 'seriously' just yet.

Get some cheapass charcoal and work on your values (scale to black and white), on 100x70 and 50x70 paper. And do a lot of it.

Wooz said:
Watercolour is hard as hell, and wouldn't reccommend you start on it 'seriously' just yet.

:? I beg to differ. When you grow up using stuff like this, watercolours tend to come very naturally to a person. I know serious artists who still use those kiddie watercolour sets because of their skill with the product. And more expensive stuff makes the job even easier. I prefer watercolours and ink washes to any other colouring technique because to me it's easy, quick and it looks alive.

Experiment with kiddie sets and get a decent Winsor and Newton set for the serious work. Don't get the most expensive stuff, you are not making art for all eternity. Pick your own colours from the midprize range and buy an empty metal watercolour box (or a beginner's set with the most important colours present and extra space for your own choices).

More important than good watercolour paints are the choice of paper and especially of brushes. Buy the best brush(es) you can afford and treat them well 'cause if you do they can last a decade. My favourite watercolour brush is 12 years old. Very expensive watercolour paper (made from 100% cotton) will get you incredible, professional results, even if your skills are still lacking. Bad paper will make even a Da Vinci look like an amateur after only a couple of brush strokes. Do not save money on paper if you don't have to.

alec said:
Wooz said:
Watercolour is hard as hell, and wouldn't reccommend you start on it 'seriously' just yet.

:? I beg to differ. When you grow up using stuff like this, watercolours tend to come very naturally to a person. I know serious artists who still use those kiddie watercolour sets because of their skill with the product. And more expensive stuff makes the job even easier. I prefer watercolours and ink washes to any other colouring technique because to me it's easy, quick and it looks alive.

Experiment with kiddie sets and get a decent Winsor and Newton set for the serious work. Don't get the most expensive stuff, you are not making art for all eternity. Pick your own colours from the midprize range and buy an empty metal watercolour box (or a beginner's set with the most important colours present and extra space for your own choices).

More important than good watercolour paints are the choice of paper and especially of brushes. Buy the best brush(es) you can afford and treat them well 'cause if you do they can last a decade. My favourite watercolour brush is 12 years old. Very expensive watercolour paper (made from 100% cotton) will get you incredible, professional results, even if your skills are still lacking. Bad paper will make even a Da Vinci look like an amateur after only a couple of brush strokes. Do not save money on paper if you don't have to.

Agreed and agreed, especially the paper makes tons of difference with the success of watercolors.
I think people mess up simply by drowning their paper in water :D
When I used watercolors a lot, I just barely used any water in fact, just enough for the color to become manageable, but no more. This way I was able to do my usual illustration-style detail work, often supplemented with pencil/pens.

I love water colours as well. Still it feels someewhat difficult working with it. If you are not used with it. As said. Working with pencil is rather easy. Doing shading and such. Because that is what I am doing since I can remember holding a pencil.

But water colours and markers are something I really want to practise with. The quality of paper makes a huge difference though! Alec is pretty much right with everything he said.

^human bodies tend to be a pain in the ass if you aren't well used to drawing them. That goes for me as well
[spoiler:dec023f8fa]
j1-3.png
[/spoiler:dec023f8fa]

Something as basic as the above postures, very basic, not a lot of perspective or dynamics, I still had to adjust many, many times - and I'm talking numerous minute adjustments - pixels at the time.
This is because we humans recognize a human shape almost too well - so anything eversoslightly out of the ordinary, we capture it like hawks. You are absolutely on the right track with the sketches, I see what you're going for, but don't settle on it quite yet! Adjust and adjust, untill the shapes feel completely natural.

Jesus, Crni

Had no idea you had this in you. Sweet!

Love the pencil sketches. You have skills!

I approve.

Back