Bethesda: Save the Single Player games

What games have you played they've done? I liked Dex and sort of liked Ruiner.

Stardew Valley
Mount and Blade Warband
FTL
A Hat in Time
Hyper Light Drifter
The Legend of Grimrock 2
ATOM RPG
Underrail
Undertale
Divinity Original Sin 2
and alot more than that.
Indie Devs also do some pretty solid multiplayer games like Rocket League and Skullgirls.
Did I mention that CD Projekt Red is technically an indie company but with AAA budget.

Basically, from what I have seen from this thread, there are actual alternative SP games to these "genre-saving games", which seems more enjoyable than what Bethesda does.

I mean Bethesda games can be fun, but it's not long-term fun to have with it, unless you mod the hell out of their games, until they resemble anything but the original game.

Stardew Valley
Mount and Blade Warband
FTL
A Hat in Time
Hyper Light Drifter
The Legend of Grimrock 2
ATOM RPG
Underrail
Undertale
Divinity Original Sin 2
and alot more than that.
Indie Devs also do some pretty solid multiplayer games like Rocket League and Skullgirls.
Did I mention that CD Projekt Red is technically an indie company but with AAA budget.
I will take this opportunity to also share some singleplayer Indie games I enjoyed playing. After all, Indies don't get enough attention by many people, so throwing around some names might help those games/studios (I will try not to post games already mentioned, but I might fail at that):
I hate Early Access, but there are a few EA games that I bought and am very happy with the purchase, or that I played while in EA (free weekends on Steam or in some friend's house for example) and loved the product:
Games I haven't played but heard good things about:
I could name quite a few more, but I run out of time to be around here posting.

Last edited:
Im not gonna go through this thread in its entirety but im pretty sure Bethesda hasn't saved single player and this isnt anything more than a cheep marketing ploy.

That said as much as we all love to shit all over Bethesda. A lot of their published games are excellent these past few years. Hell I cant truly remember the last bad game Bethesda published. (Was it rage or something?). Wolf 2 was worse than the previous game but I wouldn't call it a bad by any means. Just flawed but enjoyable. I think it mostly just ticked people off because of their political stance in their marketing. It pissed some people off that I think the hate for it was rather over exemplified than it would have been without the marketing they did. Probably Bethesda's biggest problem has been optimization in new releases but those are usually quickly fixed anyway and aren't too bad. I mean of the 4 releases this year only wolf was a bit un optimized from my experience.

Like yeah Bethesda amiright lads? They RUIIIIIIINNNNED ES and FALLOUT. NOW I HAVE TO HATE EVERYTHING THEY DO. GOD THEY ARE EXACTLY LIKE EA!!!

I mean...they dont have micro transactions, obligatory DLC, day one dlc and published a bunch of single player games EA and Ubi would never publish but I mean payed mods? yeah theyre automatically evil now because they tried a stupid thing again. Fuggin monsters, I bet Todd eats babys.

Jokes aside that may be abit too far but cmon a lot of good non bethesda and bethesda single player games came out can we at least celebrate that?

Jokes aside that may be abit too far but cmon a lot of good non bethesda and bethesda single player games came out can we at least celebrate that?
I would be interested in a Lands of Lore sequel by Bethesda, or even (yet) another TES clone by them...based on the Rifts RPG. But I was insulted to the core by their treatment of the Fallout IP; and of anyone who liked it enough to give a damn that they ruined it.

I would ask Mrs. Carter to kindly place her 173rd Airborne patch the right/correct way. It was upside down. I’m sure its unintentional, but I noticed.

That said as much as we all love to shit all over Bethesda. A lot of their published games are excellent these past few years. Hell I cant truly remember the last bad game Bethesda published. (Was it rage or something?). Wolf 2 was worse than the previous game but I wouldn't call it a bad by any means. Just flawed but enjoyable. I think it mostly just ticked people off because of their political stance in their marketing. It pissed some people off that I think the hate for it was rather over exemplified than it would have been without the marketing they did. Probably Bethesda's biggest problem has been optimization in new releases but those are usually quickly fixed anyway and aren't too bad. I mean of the 4 releases this year only wolf was a bit un optimized from my experience.

They surround themselves with A+ talent seemingly. It's a shame BGS can't seem to take notes or even leverage some of the technology/talent that these other branches tap into.

They surround themselves with A+ talent seemingly. It's a shame BGS can't seem to take notes or even leverage some of the technology/talent that these other branches tap into.

Kind of a late response but yeah I agree, while it may seem unprecedented on this forum I actually liked fallout 3. Knowing Bethesda I had hoped they would at least take some steps to learn from new Vegas and make 4 a better version of 3 but they failed at that too. I dont think 4 was a bad video game per say but a piss poor fallout game. Yeah their were a few nice improvements but it took one step forward and 5 more steps backward off a cliff.

It never gave me the sense of this is a fallout game the same way previous games did. I actually had similar feelings about Andromeda too. Though I personally hated Andromeda where I was more disappointed with 4.

Kind of a late response but yeah I agree, while it may seem unprecedented on this forum I actually liked fallout 3. Knowing Bethesda I had hoped they would at least take some steps to learn from new Vegas and make 4 a better version of 3 but they failed at that too. I dont think 4 was a bad video game per say but a piss poor fallout game. Yeah their were a few nice improvements but it took one step forward and 5 more steps backward off a cliff.

It never gave me the sense of this is a fallout game the same way previous games did. I actually had similar feelings about Andromeda too. Though I personally hated Andromeda where I was more disappointed with 4.
Hell, I wish Fallout 4 was more like 3. At lest 3 was playable despite being a very flawed Fallout game, but there was a good game in there somewhere. Fallout 4 didn't even have that. 4 felt like a Frankenstein monster of ideas that Bethesda had in order to get the maximum audience.

Last edited:
Hell, I wish Fallout 4 was more like 3. At lest 3 was playable despite being a very flawed Fallout game, but their was a good game in there somewhere. Fallout 4 didn't even have that. 4 felt like a Frankenstein monster of ideas that Bethesda had in order to get the maximum audience.
Even today, the number of people that say their favorite part of Fallout 4 is the settlement building, still baffles me.
"Fallout 4 is the best Fallout game because it has settlement building. I spent hundreds of hours building my settlements." :shock:

Ok, this is stupid. Let's set the record straight. The major problem with this statement isn't just because it is subjective but it is because it relies on a subjective axiom. For Bethesda to save single player games, single player games would need to be a state of needing to be saved. The demand for single player games have not declined and there are still plenty being made and plenty topping the charts. It is not like saying ET caused the video game crash or Nintendo saved the console market because almost everyone agreed that the videogame market crashed.

For Bethesda to save single player games, single player games would need to be a state of needing to be saved.

Well, considering everything nowadays needs to have at least some form of multiplayer including loot boxes and micro transactions...

Well, considering everything nowadays needs to have at least some form of multiplayer including loot boxes and micro transactions...
No, they don't NEED some form of multiplayer. Bethesda making single player focused games isn't going to stop the industry from trying to shoehorn multiplayer. The reason why companies do that is to add micro-transactions and loot boxes. Also, plenty of other companies are releasing single player games. This isn't food or water. People can just stop buying games if companies decided not release any single player focused games. No one actually think that there isn't a market for single player games.

Implying single player games need to be saved in the first place. I don't know where this nonsense of "multiplayer is replacing single player" is coming from, but it's wrong.

A lot of the best selling games of last year were single player games with either no multiplayer or just very basic multiplayer. Meanwhile, multiplayer games are starting to get more and more criticized because they are just a vehicle for the developers to able to monitor the game personally, so that they can find ways to monetize the game through the bullshit lootboxes or microtransactions. Battlefront 2 and Destiny 2 being the biggest culprits.

Sure, there were single player games with bullshit lootboxes like Shadow of War, but i hope this trend dies in single player focused games.

I dont honestly see Bethesda really pushing multiplayer beyond Quake considering the poor response to DOOM's multiplayer as a "old school run n gun multiplayer game". For the inevitable sequel of DOOM I hope that they at most either ditch the multiplayer or do it in house instead of out sourcing it. Though I deem it very unlikely that multiplayer would be haphazardly added to any other IP considering they dont exactly have a history with it.

As for mictro transactions I dont think they will go through with that either. The time for micro transactions to be put in bethesda games seems to have been long past. If they would have wanted to do it they would of by now, I dont think they will considering the negative press received by creation club and loot boxes/micro transactions in general.

Though the sad thing is because 4 was their most successful game of all time (cant wait for like 50 re releases of that and no remakes/rereleases of previous games) the crafting and limited rpg mechanics bollocks will probably carry over.

I might be in the minority here, but aside from the actual BGS studios developed games which I firmly believe are complete garbage, I actually like the output from their other studios. I like what they've done with Wolfenstein, Doom, Dishonored, and the new Prey especially which I think is incredibly under appreciated.

Im not gonna go through this thread in its entirety but im pretty sure Bethesda hasn't saved single player and this isnt anything more than a cheep marketing ploy.

Like yeah Bethesda amiright lads? They RUIIIIIIINNNNED ES and FALLOUT. NOW I HAVE TO HATE EVERYTHING THEY DO. GOD THEY ARE EXACTLY LIKE EA!!!

I mean...they dont have micro transactions, obligatory DLC, day one dlc and published a bunch of single player games EA and Ubi would never publish but I mean payed mods? yeah theyre automatically evil now because they tried a stupid thing again. Fuggin monsters, I bet Todd eats babys.

Todd doesn't eat babys. He cooks them in boiling water and then throws them away.

Back