Bioware/Victory Games C&C: Generals 2

Confirmed, it's Command and Conquer Generals 2. It's a rebranded Bioware studio from Los Angeles, and the game would be only on PC (about time they figured out RTS just don't belong on consoles). Interview here http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1214474p1.html

So... Yeah, I guess there are worse franchises to revive, but why Bioware, of all things? I mean, all of their other titles, even the non-Edmonton ones (ala Warhammer Online) had at least a flair of RPG, but unless they drastically rework the formula Command and Conquer is RTS through and through. Maybe it's the only development house at EA that is competent enough on the PC. Who knows.

But this ''new IP'' thing is bollocks, this is the sequel of a spin-off of a franchise established in the nineties. And this talk of terrorists already has me wary. I mean, there was a faction of rebels that basically amounted to organized terrorists in the original, but I hope they don't go too heavy-handed with this. And I sure as hell hope we don't get a ''All of Europe gets invaded simultaneously by evil foreigners, sucks to be them, but the US of A are here to bail their asses, fuck yeah!'' scenario yet again. There's potential for a more intricate scenario than bad evil guys seeking to destroy the West.

EDIT: Ninja'ed, but my post is more detailled so :).

Sabirah said:
Ilosar said:
Command and Conquer Generals 2.

Lets hope it doesn't have an "evil Muslims" faction again

I don't mind an "evil Muslim" faction, as long as they balance it with an "evil Christian" right-wing fascist bullyboy Republician Neocon faction. The will naturally cancel each other out. :P

Ilosar said:
Confirmed, it's Command and Conquer Generals 2. It's a rebranded Bioware studio from Los Angeles, and the game would be only on PC (about time they figured out RTS just don't belong on consoles). Interview here http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1214474p1.html

So... Yeah, I guess there are worse franchises to revive, but why Bioware, of all things? I mean, all of their other titles, even the non-Edmonton ones (ala Warhammer Online) had at least a flair of RPG, but unless they drastically rework the formula Command and Conquer is RTS through and through. Maybe it's the only development house at EA that is competent enough on the PC. Who knows.

But this ''new IP'' thing is bollocks, this is the sequel of a spin-off of a franchise established in the nineties. And this talk of terrorists already has me wary. I mean, there was a faction of rebels that basically amounted to organized terrorists in the original, but I hope they don't go too heavy-handed with this. And I sure as hell hope we don't get a ''All of Europe gets invaded simultaneously by evil foreigners, sucks to be them, but the US of A are here to bail their asses, fuck yeah!'' scenario yet again. There's potential for a more intricate scenario than bad evil guys seeking to destroy the West.

EDIT: Ninja'ed, but my post is more detailled so :).

It's a joint venture between Victory Games and Bioware. VG is headed by Jon Van Caneghem, the guy behind the M&M and HoM&M series.

you know I am missing those awesome RTS games of the late 90s.

Z, Earth, Age of Empire and obviously C&C and there are many more.

Maybe its just me but the market for "good" RTS games has become very very stagnant. It is like for a short time you had much progress particularly as everyone wanted to go the "3D!" everywhere direction. Which still looks shit in my eyes when compared to some of the really good 2D RTS games - I mean seriously those textures sometimes ...

The story was somewhat much better compared to what you get today. If I remember C&C generals (the first game). What a shit game in my eyes. I hope they make something more story driven out of it this time.

Sabirah said:
Ilosar said:
Command and Conquer Generals 2.

Lets hope it doesn't have an "evil Muslims" faction again

But that just leaves the evil Communist faction (coming in Chinese or Russian flavours) or the evil African merc faction, or if they are being ultra modern the evil private military company to be the bad guys in the game.

Maybe some evil Mormons or something to spice it up.

Generals was a very well designed game with some sweet mechanics and tank combat, shame the story was so sterile I forgot there was one.

Never played the original Generals. Is the game any good?

Also, kind of hard to comprehend BioWare making a strategy game. It's like Bethesda would suddenly decide to make an RPG.

Sub-Human said:
Also, kind of hard to comprehend BioWare making a strategy game.

The Infinity engine in which Baldur's Gate I/II, Icewind Dale etc. were made, was first created to do RTS games. The RPG aspect got tacked on in mid development because Interplay wanted to do something with their D&D license.

Alphadrop said:
Generals was a very well designed game with some sweet mechanics and tank combat, shame the story was so sterile I forgot there was one.

I guess I agree. It's been some time since I've played it, but it has always been a fun game, skirmish and multiplayer-wise.
But the story - stupid, from what I recall. Missions themselves were fun, though.

Still, I don't see BioWare making this game really bad or anything. I have hope in Victory Games, after all.
And even if it gets screwed up - doesn't matter. After CnC4's story, I'm kinda indifferent to it all.

yeah C&C really does not mean the same anymore like it did some 15 years ago. Its like "RPG". It has become a rather meaningless term.

In game footage is so weak a description it could mean anything. Pr-rendered high detail assets in the game engine quite possibly, unless it's an RTS with only about 10 units per mission.

EU tanks from Battlefield 2042 fighting generic middle eastern types with AA guns, that ... is kinda weird.

Ilosar said:
Well from the sound of things, it's mostly Bioware in name only. EA figures that Bioware is the studio of theirs with the biggest name so maybe they are trying to make them seem more like Blizzard. They have an online game, ARPGs and RPGs (Blizzard lacks the latter), and now a RTS.

Sub-Human said:
Also, kind of hard to comprehend BioWare making a strategy game. It's like Bethesda would suddenly decide to make an RPG.
Ba~zing.

Atomkilla said:
Also. In-game footage...hm...
By in-game they mean the opening cinematic. Woohoo for nothingness.

Alphadrop said:
Maybe some evil Mormons or something to spice it up.

:lol: I can see that. There was this Mormon girl in my freshman dorm who kept trying to convert me. She was so weird (not just for the Mormonism of course, You guys know I respect all religions)

I honestly thought Bioware was going to reveal a new franchise.
It would probably be disappointing here and there, but at least it would have been something new.

If Bioware is now a name that can be tagged onto anything in order to increase sales.

If Bioware is now a name that can be tagged onto anything in order to increase sales.

That's my biggest concern. I like this studio, even despite mishaps like DA2. I don't want to see it become a brand, but between this and The Old Republic it's hard to argue that EA recognizes it's cash cow and is more than willing to milk it.

Oh, and evil muslims were an integral part of the first Generals. They had stereotypical Arab accents, used fanatical infantry, suicide attacks, biological weapins and one of their leader was a mad scientist, I mean how much more cartoonishly evil can you be? Then again, it was shortly after 9/11, so... here's hoping they fix it, but this being Command and Conquer I have my doubts.

Well, the past of EA decisions regarding the C&C frenchise is hardly commendable.

They refurbish RA2, "updated" the graphics, put some bimbos disguised as 'soldiers', recanned the story and rebranded the game as RA3.
I hope they don't do the same with Generals.

Unless they put a evil-zionist faction, that is. :twisted:

It seems nobody reads my posts, so I'll use large letters to explain:

Generals 2 is made by TWO studios: one from Bioware and Victory Games (now Bioware Victory).

Victory Games, employing Jon Van Caneghem (the guy behind the Heroes of Might & Magic III and other wonderful games from 3DO), is a key part of making this new strategy game.

Therefore, do not assume that Mass Effect folks are working on an RTS game, that's stupid and makes you look silly.

Back