Can you Squint and fit Wasteland into Fallout?

Discussion in 'Wasteland Discussion' started by Charwo, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Charwo

Charwo Still Mildly Glowing

Mar 9, 2017
    I'm interested in this game....but it would make it better if I could see at least Wasteland 2 as a prequel to New Vegas. Before the rise of Ceasar's Legion. Can it be done?

2. R.Graves

R.Graves Confirmed Retard

Apr 21, 2016
    Lol no.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  3. Sn1p3r187

Sn1p3r187 Carolinian Shaolin Monk

Apr 7, 2014
    I wish. But unfortunately, no. I mean you could fit some references and some small objects from there. But they'd merely be Easter eggs made to please die hards like us.

4. SpookyBees

SpookyBees hiding in a small hole in the middle of the desert

Mar 12, 2017
    Prrrobably not..

5. Knight In Leather Armor

Knight In Leather Armor Badger Nutsack

Feb 6, 2016
    Without ignoring a ton of plot elements from Fallout, not at all. Wasteland is more of the typical "Russia bombed Amercia fugg now we gotta survive" where as Fallout is much more deeper than that. Wasteland doesn't focus much on the lore and focuses much more on the events that're happening.

6. Proletären

Proletären Moderator

Mar 15, 2012
    Since they go to California at the end of Wasteland 2 i think it's fucked. Otherwise it might have worked.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  7. naossano

naossano So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 19, 2006
    There is also New Vegas in the first one. That couldn't fit with FONV version.

8. Proletären

Proletären Moderator

Mar 15, 2012
  9. VaultTecCivilDefense

VaultTecCivilDefense First time out of the vault

Mar 24, 2019
    Fallout Tactics could be shoehorned into Wasteland due to the technology and setting style being closer to Wasteland.

10. VaultTecCivilDefense

VaultTecCivilDefense First time out of the vault

Mar 24, 2019
    Fallout 1,2 & 3(VB) could be with some modification Wasteland's Future.

11. Proletären

Proletären Moderator

Mar 15, 2012
    Aren't the Arizona rangers already present in New Vegas? That would make Wasteland sort of canon.

12. Atomic Postman

Atomic Postman Vault Archives Overseer

Mar 16, 2013
    We know they fought in Arizona against the Legion but the Desert Rangers were primarily Nevada based.

I like to think their HQ was a pre-war prison, though.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  13. MayonaiseCream

MayonaiseCream It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 22, 2017
    Is the idea even possible?

14. megamike15

megamike15 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 30, 2016
    no they are to tonally different.

15. Proletären

Proletären Moderator

Mar 15, 2012
    I believe you could actually rewrite Wasteland 1 and change and convert certain aspects into their Fallout equivalents. You would get a very interesting new Fallout game that way. Fallout: Wasteland or Fallout: Desert Rangers.

In Wasteland 1 the apocalypse happened in 1998 and the game takes place in 2087. In Fallout the apocalypse happens in 2077 and the game takes place in 2161. If you convert Wasteland 1 into Fallout then events of Fallout: Wasteland would transpire in the year 2166, ie five years after Fallout 1.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  16. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    Base Cochise and the Calculator share some passing similarities, perhaps the "reality" is some strange mix of Fallout Tactics and Wasteland.

17. Proletären

Proletären Moderator

Mar 15, 2012
    Fallout Tactics would probably be the best Fallout game to mod for this anyway, since it's squad based.

You are right about the existence of the calculator being a problem if one wants to convert Wasteland into Fallout. But there are already other examples of AI:s in Fallout. Isn't there a Skynet in the Sierra Army Depot for example? So there's a possibility for other rouge AI:s in the universe.

18. Proletären

Proletären Moderator

Mar 15, 2012
    Sorry for the double. Apart for the Desert Rangers actually being part of Fallout: New Vegas having been merged with the NCR Rangers there's also this page detailing the similarities between the two settings:

• ZAX, a series of advanced supercomputers that appeared in the original Fallout and were set to return in Van Buren, are named similarly to VAX from Wasteland.
    • Tycho, the Desert Ranger - the band of heroes in Wasteland were Desert Rangers. He also makes references to Wasteland, such as mentioning the Wasteland character Fat Freddy.
    • Deathclaws are similar to the shadow claws, mutated iguanas found wandering the desert in Wasteland.
    • Ghouls are similar to the mutated desert dweller, drool, pit ghoul, shambler ghoul, spineless ghoul, night screamer, and night terror encountered in Wasteland.

It's interesting with Tycho mentioned above since Fallout 1 would take place only five years after Wasteland 1. That means that you would probably encounter Tycho as a character down in Nevada if you converted Wasteland into Fallout.

e: It's mentioned that Gizmo reminds Tycho of Fat Freddy who is a character in Las Vegas in Wasteland 1. However it was Tychos father who told Tycho about Fat Freddy. So maybe one should let the story of Fallout: Wasteland/Fallout: Desert Rangers play out some 20 years before Fallout 1? To make it plausible that it was Tychos father who encountered Fat Freddy. I think that it's important that the Fallout lore always overwrites the Wasteland lore. Remember we are trying to put Wasteland 1 into Fallout.

Fallout: New Vegas

I believe this could actually be done. Let's see the Wasteland 1 worldmap with all the locations. How would one start such a project that aims to convert the entire WL1 into the Fallout setting?

e: So this is the worldmap eh?

e: Wasteland worldmap can be found here: https://wasteland-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Wasteland_world

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  19. Iprovidelittlepianos

Iprovidelittlepianos Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

May 12, 2020
    If New Vegas had mentioned Fat Freddy then you could probably squeeze Wasteland into Fallout, ignoring all the Wasteland lore of course. But since New Vegas fails to mention that Vegas was previously ruled by a mobster named Fat Freddy, the comment from Tycho is no more than a reference to Wasteland, and is not canon.

Unless Mr. House set out to erase post-apoc Vegas history, convincing everyone that Vegas was ruled by warring tribes until he showed up.

20. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    Vegas being ruled by a mobster in the 2100s and then later being tribal aren't contradictory. Vegas survived the bombings and they wouldn't have gone immediately tribal. Remember, the Vegas Tribes weren't like Zion or Arroyo, they were more than likely "tribal" in a sense similar to the Khans, Vipers or Jackals.

We know that between the Great War and House waking up, Vegas was a rural shithole with little relevance. Why would some random mobster warlord a century prior be relevant? He probably got offed by the next chump. It's all just a series of savages until House wakes up, as far as anyone is concerned.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1