Cashgrab 2 - Fallout 76 gets a subscription service called Fallout1st

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin
Fallout76_Fallout1st_Membership.jpg

For a substantial sum you can now either get a one month subscription on Fallout1st or some discount if you sign up for 12.

And here's what you'll get:
Fallout76_Fallout1st_Benefits.jpg

This new subscription service has angered the fan base and even most news outlets, who usually act like little Bethesda suck-ups, have reported negatively on it. Have they finally realised what a joke the incompetents at Bethesda has turned Fallout into? An angry fan even registered falloutfirst.com before Bethesda could do it and filled it with negativity.

Chris Avellone tweeted something along the lines that some Bethesda stupidity at the same time as the release of The Outher Worlds was probably the best promotion Obisidian could have hoped for. The more Bethesda destroys Fallout the more people would pour over to similar type of games.

Anyway it's been discussed on our forums for a while now.

Last edited:
I like how Bethesda's idea of dealing with the shit in their bed is to shit the bed even harder.

It's a rough week in the world of Fallout 76. Reddit and subsequently youtubers and game journalists (who use Reddit as their primary source) signal boost a lot of vocal but not necessarily majority opinions which are countered by the reality in-game. Just anecdotal from myself and a few others but there are an awful lot of Fallout 1st players in the game currently, so the outrage hasn't been representative of people not actually paying for the subscription. It oddly enough seems quite popular. I chalk this up to the 1650 monthly atoms because the subscription price alone for those is cheaper than any other option.

The fact that There are morons who would pay for it in The First place @Korin is what surprises me. Then again most People are retarded. Instead of paying 100$ for something that should have been in The base game, you could buy Persona 5 Royal or netflix or Xbox game pass.

When you think your faith in humanity couldn't get any lower Fallout First happens. At this point I am just waiting as Corporations take over World, while people cheer they only take their blood instead of selling them for parts and paying for it.

Capitalism, Good in theory, terrible in practice. With AI designed to exploit whales third world war is starting to look appealing.

I chalk this up to the 1650 monthly atoms because the subscription price alone for those is cheaper than any other option.
Wait, didn't Pete Hines and players say that getting Atoms in game was really easy and you would have tons of them just by playing the game? Why is it worth paying money to get Atoms if they are easy to get in-game without paying? :scratch:

You better buy those ATOMS now folks so you can buy fancy armor in a game with no content. Get that SUB quick friends because you can play with 7! whole people alone in your very own server with NO CONTENT!

I thought this article was an excellent critique of what's wrong with 76:

Polygon said:
The real enemy within Fallout 76 is capitalism
It’s all so clear now!

Fallout_76_Vault_Boy_KeyArt_Flattened_1528640090.0.jpg

Bethesda Game Studios/Bethesda Softworks
Fallout 76 is the first game in the Fallout franchise to treat nuclear weapons as toys instead of looming, terrifying threats.

For some, watching a party of players hoot and holler as a mushroom cloud blooms on the horizon is antithetical to everything Fallout stands for. The original games take place in the shadow of man’s incredible folly and greed, and the bombs reset everything that humanity had collectively worked for.

There’s no denying that nuclear weapons have completely lost their fangs in Fallout 76. But in a way, maybe that’s not a bad thing. I never grew up in a world where I had to learn to duck and cover, or find my nearest emergency shelter. If the world is to end now, I suspect it’ll be through climate change. A mushroom cloud is an effective shorthand for conveying destruction, sure, but it means nothing to me otherwise.

You know what does ring true to me? The real threat of Fallout 76 is capitalism. The only problem is that that’s extended beyond the narrative and into the metagame itself. A nuke is obvious, but capitalism is more relevant and insidious — especially when it comes with monthly subscriptions and microtransactions for a full-priced title.

fallout_helmet_9.0.jpg
Ross Miller/Polygon
Appalachia and automation
When players emerge from Vault 76, they find the wasteland devoid of human life. Which is funny, because that’s a lot like my Fallout 76 friends list!

There are no human NPCs — or at least, not until next year’s Wastelanders update — but you can find records and diaries they left behind. Some of these are from after the bombs fell, but there’s a good amount of detail as to how West Virginia worked before the world ended. One of the biggest issues back then was automation, along with a lack of government support for workers and their families.

You can find evidence that this ruined people’s lives. Workers protest that they are unable to feed their families. Military bases are staffed solely with jingoistic, communist-hating robots that human commanders despise. Corporate executives gleefully email each other about the amount of money they’ll save on wages.

Nuclear weapons and conspiracies aren’t really the thesis of Fallout 76; the game doesn’t retread ground covered by previous Fallout titles. Instead, it focuses on concerns like unions, corporate violence, and dwindling economic security during a global war. There’s a lot of meat on the bone here! I felt terrible reading about corporations draining as much as they could out of employees, especially because I would later read the workers’ side of the story.

While the game depicts people in power lying and bullying their workers into silence, the Atomic Shop and in-game economy have quietly been setting up a similar feat.

jbareham_190131_0836_fallout76_thisisfine_final.jpg
Illustration: James Bareham/Polygon
Shopping spree
Fallout 76 has gotten some free updates. Some of them have even been good. Others, like the new vault raid, were bad. The biggest changes that dramatically impacted my experience were all centered around the Atomic Shop, the in-game marketplace — but even non-Atomic Shop-related updates have rendered the game all about business.

Now, when I’m playing Fallout 76, I’m always thinking about purchasing and money and shops.

For instance, players are able to create in-game shops that mark their CAMPs on the map. Sometimes the vendor bots are tucked into the side of a CAMP, and sometimes the entire base is built in the pretense of a shop, but there’s no other way to put your base on the map and indicate you’re willing to interact with other players.

So when I navigate the Appalachian wasteland, I find the husk of factories and towns that were destroyed by capitalism, plus a dozen little shops, each trying to undercut other players and make money. The only way players can meaningfully rebuild West Virginia, it seems, is by doing the exact same thing as in the pre-apocalypse. And hey, if you want to have a pretty skin on your vendor station, that’s just a few hundred Atomic Points away!

Building and customizing bases also requires a player to pay up. Want to play a member of the Free States, or a fearsome raider? There’s no real way to display this in-game ... unless you head to the Atomic Shop and pick up the themed cosmetics. Sure, you can farm Atomic Points, but these cosmetics come so fast and furious that the only way to get everything you need is to pull out your wallet.

So, we have a role-playing world set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Capitalism soured society, the new order learned to work without it, and Fallout 76 comes down firmly on the side of corporations being the bad guys ... but the game is still stuffed with things that nickel-and-dime the player.

Bethesda has come out with a solution to solve this clash, but nobody likes it.

Photo_2018_11_24_015219.png

A shop in Fallout 76.
Bethesda Game Studios/Bethesda Softworks via Polygon
Fallout last
This week, Bethesda introduced a Fallout 76 subscription service called Fallout 1st. For a $12.99 monthly fee, players can create private servers, wear an NCR ranger costume from Fallout: New Vegas, and get a bunch of Atomic Store points every month.

The subscription also offers some heavy in-game benefits — a new fast travel point on the map and unlimited storage space for crafting gear — and those benefits are tied to the subscription. Building supplies take up a lot of storage space, which is limited, but Fallout 1st lets you bypass that by distributing a scrapbox. Now you can access a private server, which gives you oceans of loot, and then store the bulk of it with no extra charge!

But of course, this new tier of gameplay only lasts for as long as a gamer is willing to pay. A player who gets used to their scrapbox will feel kneecapped if they let their Fallout 1st subscription lapse. Previously, the community had been enraged about the in-game benefits of a refrigerator.

Photo_2018_11_24_015334.png
Bethesda Game Studios/Bethesda Softworks via Polygon
A refrigerator, which cost about $10 of Atomic Points, could preserve a player’s food and make sure that it wouldn’t spoil. It was an envied cosmetic item and an in-game buff all in one, and it further led Fallout 76 down a path of starving in-game content in favor of increasingly powerful microtransactions.

All of this raises the question of what the point of Fallout 76 is, beyond making Bethesda a lot of money. The developers have offered minimal support to the bustling, chaotic role-play community that has defined the game. Anything that the game itself is trying to say is drowned out by the airhorn of constant promotions, sales, and Atomic Points offers. Fallout 76 seems as profit-oriented and careless as the corporations it maligns in its in-game text.

We are not going to see a new Fallout game for quite some time; Bethesda has its hands full with the next Elder Scrolls title, as well as an all-new game, Starfield. An online game could have worked, and it has certainly shown potential thanks to the ingenuity of its players. The question is, once again, can Fallout 76 even survive? A legendary franchise rests on the increasingly shaky shoulders of this online game, and a subscription service drives home just how unfinished the rest of the game is.

After all, it’s a very odd live role-playing and social game that allows me to spend money on a subscription for cool new emotes, but has yet to add the ability for me to say hi to another player through text chat. Bethesda has identified the problem in the text of the game itself; the question is whether the company will care to fix, it or just plow ahead regardless.

Wait, didn't Pete Hines and players say that getting Atoms in game was really easy and you would have tons of them just by playing the game? Why is it worth paying money to get Atoms if they are easy to get in-game without paying? :scratch:

It is easy and you do get tons of them but there's a finite limit per day/week in addition to a few thousand from account based atom challenges. If you buy them it's about $1 for 100, the subscription is something like .50 for 100. If you only buy one or two items here and there you probably aren't buying atoms. If you are buying atoms then the subscription is actually the cheapest.

The fact that There are morons who would pay for it in The First place @Korin is what surprises me. Then again most People are retarded. Instead of paying 100$ for something that should have been in The base game, you could buy Persona 5 Royal or netflix or Xbox game pass.

I guess that's where capitalism comes in because it's there and people are willing to pay. It doesn't matter if you could get another game cheaper, a Netflix subscription or the xbox game pass because what they want to play is Fallout 76 and not those things. Also, if someone has disposable income they may buy a coffee every day without thinking much of it. This wouldn't be much different. It's nickel and diming but the nickels and dimes add up. A coffee doesn't last more than half an hour or so and we're still willing to pay for it. In-game cosmetics will last as many hours as you play the game. It's hard to compare relative value of these things.

Also like I said in my above reply if you buy cosmetics at all the subscription is worth it just for the atoms because it's half the price of regular atom bundles.

Hey Korin you don't have to justify that FALLOUT FIRST FANBOY tag. You EARNED it!

:rofl:

Hey Korin you don't have to justify that FALLOUT FIRST FANBOY tag. You EARNED it!

:rofl:

I didn't buy Fallout 1st :p but since none of you guys play the game and likely neither do most of the youtubers and game journalists writing about it I'm filling in the blanks.

I never get the argument where it's like" YouTubers haven't played the game" when it's clear some of them did, what with livestreams and such.

I never get the argument where it's like" YouTubers haven't played the game" when it's clear some of them did, what with livestreams and such.

Yeah some of them have "played" the game but when you watch their stream they're like level 20, something you can get in an evening. Their income revolves around advertising so whatever gets clicks and subscriptions is what their video content is produced for. Youtube algorithms also prioritize video post frequency over anything else so top youtubers shovel clickbait drivel at an almost industrial level. There is no money in them actually playing the game but there's a lot of money in bitching about it. People seem willing to spend 30 minutes+ of their time to hear someone echo a thing they already believe. That's not limited to video game youtubes, there's big money in producing content for an echo chamber. Ex. See any video compilation of "the worst things Donald Trump has done" and how people are willing to just watch it because they hate Donald Trump and want to hear someone with a lot of Youtube views say the same thing

It is generally easy for me to see how much understanding some of these people have of the game because they may reference a feature or a problem that hasn't existed for months. Talk about gameplay that doesn't actually work the way they describe. Present half-facts and be missing information. A lot of the time their point of reference is the sub-reddit.

Last edited:
Back