Change to Fallout 3: Morphine becomes Med-X

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
UGO GamesBlog got in contact with Pete Hines and found the name-change of morphine to Med-X to be the only change Bethesda made in response to censorship questions.<blockquote>UGO: Just wanted to confirm the annoucement that all versions of Fallout 3 would be indentical, with the changes being made to the names of specific drugs (changing them from real-world names to in-universe names). Can you be more specific? If I recall, all of the drugs in the builds we’ve played were made-up names like Buffout and Mentats.

Pete Hines: The chems in the original Fallout used fictional names...Buffout, Jet, Rad-X, etc. Those all appear in Fallout 3 in exactly the same way as before.

We had added a new chem to Fallout 3 and had given it a real-world name, Morphine. Questions were raised about the use of that real-world drug, not only in Australia, but other territories as well. We decided there was no reason it needed to be named that and it should be a fictional name like the other chems, so we changed it to “Med-X”.

That’s the change we made in response to those concerns, nothing else. </blockquote>Thanks Kareem.

Censorship makes no sense to me. Never did, never will.

I mean, think about it: what if, after the release, someone cooks up a new xtc recipe and names it Med-X or Jet or Buffout, and makes it available on the black market where it becomes immensely popular, kills a few dozen kids and makes the news?

alec says: censorship is a no-no. :seriouslyno:

So all this fuss was caused because of one little word? And it's not even some serious crackhead stuff, but a drug used mostly for medical purposes :clap: :lol:......

Something is seriously wrong with the world, i just feel it :confused:

I welcome the change from morphine to med-x but at the same time I think they could have been a bit more creative.

Wait, not them, some other company...with creativity and credibility.
It just sounds too much like Rad-X. I jokingly threw out Pain-away when I had this discussion about morphine a few months ago, not thinking about the similarity to Rad-away.

So we could probably dedicate this thread to come up with a drug name completely unique that doesn't share similarities to drugs already in the game.

Pain-B-Gone
Morphenex
Med-Head
Pain-No-More
Med-Zed

That's all I can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure someone else can think of some drug back in the 50's or some other 50's related play on words.

EnglishMuffin said:
I welcome the change from morphine to med-x but at the same time I think they could have been a bit more creative.

I bet they chose Med-X EXACTLY because it is similar to Rad-X.
And while I hate censorship, I like this change.If only it wasn't enforced for the reasons it was..

Wait, did morphine/does Med-X up your damage resistance or what? And if that's the case, wth does Psycho do?

Well, this step brings Fallout 3 a bit near to the originals. :lol:

Actually, morphine is a very addictive and highly abused drug.

Still doesn't mean it should be censored, but just wanted to point that out.

meh Med-X is a suitable name.

Nothing super, but hardly bad.

Oh yes, morphine is very addictive. But it's a still a prescribed drug, which puts it in another group from the purely recreational drugs like LSD and XTC.

I don't think we need to discuss again how stupid it is for censorship to get so worked up over nudity/drugs, but massive violence? No problem.

We're raising a generation with quite the logical mindset here, people. "What's that, you want to fool around in the back of my dad's chevvy?! But that's wrong, I'd much rather go for the socially acceptable activity of beating people up."

PlanHex said:
Wait, did morphine/does Med-X up your damage resistance or what? And if that's the case, wth does Psycho do?

Might get rid of crippled limb penalties for a bit at the cost of high addiction and/or other side effects.

I always though Psycho was some type of Stimpack?

TheGM said:

No, Psycho is a temporary stimulant meant as a battle-drug. See here:
An unique delivery system filled with strange and unknown chemicals of probably military origin. It is supposed to increase the combat potential of a soldier.
It gives +3 agility and +50 damage resistance, but -3 intelligence (in Fallout 1/2, I don't think it has any drawbacks in Fallout 3)

EnglishMuffin said:
Pain-B-Gone
Morphenex
Med-Head
Pain-No-More
Med-Zed

All available at Super-Duper Mart!

I can't even imagine what kind of censorship will come next before or after the release of this game.

Brother None said:
TheGM said:

No, Psycho is a temporary stimulant meant as a battle-drug. See here:
An unique delivery system filled with strange and unknown chemicals of probably military origin. It is supposed to increase the combat potential of a soldier.
It gives +3 agility and +50 damage resistance, but -3 intelligence (in Fallout 1/2, I don't think it has any drawbacks in Fallout 3)

I knew it was a battle drug. I was thinking StarCraft's wording for it for some reason.

I never use them ever. Pump Sulik full of them though. Jacked up Sulik with a 223. Pistol is auto win.

Stiched said:
And this makes in the in-game content any better...how?
In the same way that every shot hits but some hits do no damage is better than just missing some shots. It fools stupid people into thinking something is different because it let's them see just what they want to see.

Back