Change to Fallout 3: Morphine becomes Med-X

Brother None said:
TheGM said:
I always though Psycho was some type of Stimpack?

No, Psycho is a temporary stimulant meant as a battle-drug. See here:
An unique delivery system filled with strange and unknown chemicals of probably military origin. It is supposed to increase the combat potential of a soldier.
It gives +3 agility and +50 damage resistance, but -3 intelligence (in Fallout 1/2, I don't think it has any drawbacks in Fallout 3)

Well, I supose the name is Psycho because the user behaves like a psychotic or it affects the psique somehow, so there's a lot of sense in the temporary INT penalty.

I can't say I won't enjoy Psycho even more, on the contrary; from the gameplay point of wiew, the lack of this draw back is helpfull. But it's retarded nonetheless (if it indeed has no penalty, of course).

I like that there are no real world named drugs in the game but Med-X is probably the worst name possible. It's completely boring and nondescript, unlike all the drugs in previous games. Did any of those drugs have very creative names? No, not really but they were descriptive and interesting.

What bothers me most is that they changed it in all versions because of censor ship in a specific region and a that region wasn't the one it was even being developed in. Should the name have been changed? Yes, but not for the reasons it was and certainly to something less bland than Med-X which sounds more like a brand name or an unidentified drug than any in particular.

Hello to the veteran NMA crew!

I'd just like to say... on behalf of my fellow Adelaide-haunting Aussie gamers, I'll apologise for that geriatric crackpot Michael Atkinson that is our resident Attorney-General, the reason why our OFLC hasn't seen a whiff of modern input and was practically the spark that caused all this ruckus. This here hypocritical cro-mag... wait, that's insulting cro-mags... is quite happy to let c-grade voyeurism to be plastered across out tv screens during prime time, but when someone puts a real-world drug on a computer game, well that's just not on now, is it? It's not like anyone over the age of 12 plays video games, so we'll put a stop to that RIGHT NOW. We'll be happy to bring in GTA4 so all those kids can have fun ideas of criminal intent, and also still allow Max Payne on the shelves which involves the same damn drug he's whining about in the game, but we can't have them learning about items involved with modern medicine. Yes Sir, that's sure to show everyone across the globe that the fine and upstanding persons in government listen to the citizens. What? Complaints about no R-Rating for games? Bah, just be some delinquent minority barely old enough to vote!

Well done Mike. You've now vilified the rest of the world's gamers against the populace, who in their eyes view us as a bunch of ignorant inbred wombat-lovers. Bravo! :clap:

I now dub thy 'highly imaginative' Med-X as 'Oz', because all Fallout fans in Oz are damn well going to need your ostracised morphine to take the pain away from being lumped in the same classification as yourself :evil:

Err... okay. Have vented enough methinks. Thanks for putting up with my rant!

Now, in regards to your query, I'd say that Med-X would likely allow you to ignore the effects of crippled limbs for a short time, or somesuch? Don't know if this can be confirmed until it's released though...

Wazza said:
Well done Mike. You've now vilified the rest of the world's gamers against the populace, who in their eyes view us as a bunch of ignorant inbred wombat-lovers. Bravo! :clap:

Luckily wombats are quite cool, so I think you get out ahead.

PlanHex said:
Wait, did morphine/does Med-X up your damage resistance or what? And if that's the case, wth does Psycho do?
I never saw a place in the Fallout universe for morphine, either. It seems pointless, redundant. Stim packs are for healing. Now kids are gonna be using Med-X not knowing it won't give you hit points back.

Being an Adelaide Australian myself, and waiting almost ten years for this game... i gotta say that is cool to see a fellow gameplayer just as pi$$ed off as me.

Brother None said:
Oh yes, morphine is very addictive. But it's a still a prescribed drug, which puts it in another group from the purely recreational drugs like LSD and XTC.

XTC isn't a drug - it's a shit band from the 80's, and anyone using it recreationally is in a lot of trouble and needs an intervention. i think you mean ecstasy, or MDMA. :D

sqxzibitxarmscrossedlouok3.jpg

junkevil said:
i think you mean ecstasy, or MDMA. :D

Don't be flippant, the street name ecstacy is often shortened to XTC. Even wikipedia agrees

Also, when I think about all these morphine nonsense: wouldn't morphine being present in the game as a highly addictive and continually less effective as you develop tolerance for it? That would be a good lesson-giver in drug use, moreso than making it fictional but more effective than the real thing.

While the general consensus seem to be "if we ignore it, it will go away" all kinds of nonsense like this will appear.

Just think, some people want to make sex go away. What about that, huh?

FeelTheRads said:
While the general consensus seem to be "if we ignore it, it will go away" all kinds of nonsense like this will appear.

Sex is evil!!! EVIL!!!! The vagina EATS the penis! It is sick and should be banned before anyone else gets hurt.

Brother None said:
Also, when I think about all these morphine nonsense: wouldn't morphine being present in the game as a highly addictive and continually less effective as you develop tolerance for it? That would be a good lesson-giver in drug use, moreso than making it fictional but more effective than the real thing.
One would think but it's quite possible that Fallout 3 doesn't handle addiction as harshly as they've inferred.

UncannyGarlic said:
One would think but it's quite possible that Fallout 3 doesn't handle addiction as harshly as they've inferred.

They don't. The game warns you when you are on the verge of becoming addicted.

EnglishMuffin said:
UncannyGarlic said:
They don't. The game warns you when you are on the verge of becoming addicted.

That, plus the fact that you can cure addictions at any local doctor. Which is all the more lame considering how cool going cold turkey in FP could be implemented, with side effects that seriously impact the gameplay (like delirium tremens settling in and your aim going to shit).

FeelTheRads said:

Now if those people also choose not to have sex and consequently no offspring, I would only encourage them.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk41Gbjljfo[/youtube]

XTC isn't shit.

Anyways, most of the censorship laws of today are based on the old socratically twisted morals of western civilization; Where-as violence that protects the state or life in general shouldn't be censored for it gives stories of heroes and choirs and ect. Might be a conspiracy, considering the game "Americas Army" gets kids to facillitate in violence to get them interested in being recruited. While drug use, and sex encourages population growth and foreign people to make money, so those are bad.

Or something.

GTA4 did a pretty good thing with the alcohol use in the game. You really DO NOT want to drink and drive (the cops pull you over and driving is nearly impossible). Plus, good luck even getting to a car...
"Heyyy.. yellow car!..."

It would have been good to have all the negative side effects in Fallout 3. Bethesda should take another look at Dark Corners of the Earth and apply many of the visual distortions to the drug use in Fallout 3. I know Bethesda didn't make DCotE but I'm pretty sure they provided the necessary funds to finish the game, along with the voicework and?... I dunno what else. :P

Back