Chernobylite. A new sci-fi, survival horror game.

Seems as though S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Silent Hill had a love child. That's how it comes off to me anyways.
I was thinking Metro (but in Chernobyl, I'm just thinking it will linear like Metro compared to the semi-open STALKER) but yeah I can see that too. Looks like horror will be a bigger focus on this game.

STALKER has nightmare fuel anyway though. Game has plenty of terrifying moments if you ask me.

I lied.

Trailer is ew. I loathe CGI trailers.

As to the article.
"Stalkers still living in the Zone"; So are they lacking originality, is it a sequel (spiritual) or are they ripping off STALKER?
I don't like the idea of "go find your loved one", it just feels like a cheap way of explaining why the player character would venture into sometimes literal hell.
"...in combat, craft, and of course..." Ew. Why does every fucking survival game have to have crafting in it? I'm quite frankly sick of it.

"April 26th, 1:23 AM Ukrainian time, 1986. The day on which the Chernobyl nuclear catastrophe happened and the lives of 350,000 people changed forever. At the time you were just a young, passionate, naive physicist working at the facility. And like many, you’ve lost what was most dear to you – a loved one. 30 years later you’re still struggling with the demons of the past. So, to finally put them to rest, you return to what’s now called the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone."
All right, well that's a bit better than "go save your princess".

The [SURVIVE] part of the article sounds interesting but it also makes me a bit wary. I like the idea of the game treating me like just another cog in the machine and not giving me any special treatment but I don't like the idea that I have to feel stressed out to do things or I might end up in such a fucked position that I might have to restart the game or reload to a save hours ago, this isn't a 30 minute roguelike after all.

[PLAY YOUR WAY] So is it an RPG or an open ended game when it comes to the narrative? Either way, I do like it. Games should be as interactive as possible and that includes the story elements so depending on the other aspects of the game I might be interested in it just because of this reason. But they have to nail it and this can't be some bullshit empty promise. If the choice is a red stick or a yellow stick after 10 hours then I'll quite frankly call this a lie.

"Explore the beautiful and horrifyingly accurate 3D-scanned recreation of the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone" ... 3D-scanned?

"Collaborate or compete with other stalkers of the Zone. But whatever you do, never fully trust them. Remember everybody has a hidden agenda." :scratch: This makes it sound like it is gonna be multiplayer or have a multiplayer component to it. If they do something souls-like then I'm interested. I dunno how else to interpret this. Like, how many stalkers are there to "compete" with. What does that mean? When I go to a train tunnel and there is an artifact at the end will I have to race Boris "Speedy" Bratwurst to it? Will a companion last for 30 minutes or 10 hours? I'm interested in the idea of other human characters being loose cannons but I dunno. Maybe all of this is part of some linear story moments. Could just be them blowing smoke up our ass. I'm interested but I don't trust it.

At least they're saying the story will be non-linear. I'm going to hold their feet to the fire on that promise.

Wrapping it up, it sounds like what I'd expect someone who's creating an RPG-esque survival game would say. And I don't really trust it.

Here's Fable 2's description on Microsoft Store:
"Fable II delivers an epic story and innovative real-time gameplay, including a massive amount of freedom and choice to explore a vast collection of dungeons, catacombs, and taverns in the world of Albion"
I would say every single one of those promises are broken in the game. Offers less choice than its predecessor and is shorter than it. It does not have a VAST collect of dungeons, catatombs and taverns. It has a decent amount for what it is but this is blowing it out of proportion. It's real-time gameplay wasn't even innovative back when it came out and epic story? I suppose that' subjective. But from what I remember it ends on a fucking cliffhanger.

So yeah, I trust what I can see with my own eyes. I've been burnt by far too many Fable 2's to trust a damn thing developers promise.
But if they can live up to some of their promises? Then it does sound interesting. But I won't be anything but a cynical skeptical bitch until I see some proof to back their words up. Oh, and give me something other than a CGI trailer. Unless this is their "3d-scanned recreation" just played out in cinematic angles for trailer excitement, in which case holy fuck what the hell is 3d-scanned reaction and how can other developers make use of it?

The first comment on that page does make me wonder:
Right..Frankly there is no point in getting excited for anything Farm 51 announces. Frankly they're like ghosts. Did you know they released a game on XBOX 360, PS3 and PC like 5 years ago. Neither did I.

Apparently they released a game in 2017 too.

Aside from World War 3 who else has genuinely heard of what they've made? (without Google)

An early access game (that's almost dead and it isn't even officially released) and now they want another title to work on independently to boot.

It's genuinely strange how they can keep making games.
I really had never heard of Farm 51 before.

The first comment on that page does make me wonder:

I really had never heard of Farm 51 before.

They are one of smaller Polish game devs so it's not strange that most people haven't heard about them (they made NecroVision, Painkiller: Hell and Damnation and Get Even). They have offices right across the street from the bus stop I use to catch a bus from school to home actually. My friend's brother worked there last summer as an intern and if I remember correctly he mentioned that they can have several projects active thanks to grants from EU and Polish government.

While I've never heard of them I most certainly have heard of NecroVision and Painkiller: Hell And Damnation. :shrug:

Never heard of any of those games. :shrug:

Let me quickly research this Farm 51 studio and their games.
  • Time Ace (Nintendo DS game)
    • Metacritic: 52 critic rating (has no player ratings)
  • NecroVision
    • Steam: Mixed Reviews (67% positive)
    • GOG: 2.9 verified owners
    • Metacritic: 6.2 players rating and 63 critic rating
  • NecroVisioN: Lost Company
    • Steam: Mostly Positive (75%)
    • GOG: 4.1 verified owners
    • Metacritic: 6.5 player rating (has no critic ratings)
  • Painkiller: Hell and Damnation
    • Steam: Mostly Positive (76%) and Mixed Recent Reviews (61%)
    • Metacritic PC: 6.6 players rating and 64 critic rating
    • Metacritic XBox: 6.7 players rating and 53 critic rating
    • Metacritic PS: 6.6 players rating and 40 critic rating
  • Deadfall Adventures
    • Steam: Mostly Positive (72%) and Mixed Recent Reviews (65%)
    • Metacritic PC: 7.0 players rating and 53 critic rating
    • Metacritic XBox: 7.8 players rating and 43 critic rating
  • Deadfall Adventures Heart of Atlantis
    • Metacritic PS: 7.8 players rating and 46 critic rating
  • Get Even
    • Steam: Mostly Positive (77%) and Very Positive Recent Reviews (92%)
    • Metacritic PC: 7.5 players rating and 75 critic rating
    • Metacritic XBox: 8.4 players rating and 73 critic rating
    • Metacritic PS: 7.6 players rating and 71 critic rating
  • World War 3 (Early Access)
    • Steam: Mixed (64%) and Mixed Recent Reviews (54%)
It seems their games are usually between the low 50's and low 80's, but the average are around the middle 70's. So I guess they release average "quality" games. Since these days average seems to be 75 for some reason :look:.
I guess we will have to wait and see if this game will be one of those that reaches the 80's or not. But at least this gave me an idea of the games made by this studio.

"Stalkers still living in the Zone"; So are they lacking originality, is it a sequel (spiritual) or are they ripping off STALKER?
Well, now you have to ask if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ripped off Сталкер and if Сталкер ripped off Roadside Picnic (I know it didn't rip off Roadside Picnic but it was an inspiration/source, just using that as a sake of argument). Сталкер (or Stalker) doesn't mean the same thing it does in English or at least so I've heard. It means smuggler not "following you creepily," I'm fairly sure that's what all of these entries are about. Сталкер is about a smuggler taking people into the Zone, I think Roadside is practically the same. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is the one where you are smuggling in and out artifacts instead of people and differentiates itself from the other two quite a bit but I think it was necessary to make the game work well as a game instead of a narrative piece. They all three have a wish granter of some sort with caveats of course.

So if all of these works use the same idea that CNPP blows up and it did a bit more than just leave fallout behind and people do some sort of smuggling and something about a wish granter, it's all really based from Roadside Picnic. I'm fairly certain the term exclusion zone is what they actually call the afflicted area in real life, so it's not like any of these hold the creative right to that either.

Hmm, I am also rather hesitant about being enthusiastic about this title.
The setting is a repeat, the main goal is not that interesting, and I have avoided the developers' previous title.
I also can't help but feel that the game will indeed be somewhat of a STALKER/Metro rip off.

"What is bad about that?" Some of you may ask.
Well while I played STALKER and the first two Metro games (most likely not the third for years to come) I wasn't exactly overwhelmed by them.
Well I liked STALKER a bit more than Metro as I found Metro a rather linear experience that I would not really play over again.

Apparently this game won't be too linear and if they do enough horror focus with it, I could see it being good. I'm very hesitant about this one as well. I'd like to see more STALKER games actually, hopefully they can finish 2 this time...

After seeing more gameplay I'm not convinced this isn't a horror focused mini open world like Dying Light or something. The crafting made me suspicious too. I don't mind crafting as long as you don't have to actively seek out stuff to survive or do well. Give me materials that I have to make decisions I want to make with? Fine. Make me hunt food and scraps of wood just to eat? Not fine.

Well, I do play games like that but that's not really something I want in a game that isn't focused on it, if you know what I mean. I do it in New Vegas because I know the game so well I need something to slow me down and make it a lil "tougher."

Game is getting mixed reviews overall
71% on Steam and a 3.5/5 on GOG. So it could be worse.
Spoiler expands largely.
upload_2019-10-21_13-53-1.png

upload_2019-10-21_13-55-10.png
upload_2019-10-21_13-56-37.png

So far the major complaints are some typical Early Access common issues like poor optimization. Other things include item placement being weird and only able to find them with a scanner mechanic, horribly timed missions causing frustration, autosave system that some say makes little sense, invisible walls blocking exploration, and so on.

I saw some complaints about voice acting which from what I've seen I agree with. The VA isn't bad because it's Russian but it's just that the more excited lines or worried lines never seem to come across like they should be worried despite the context of the words showing urgency or panic, being in all caps, and with exclamation marks.

If anyone here gets it, I'd like to hear what you think so far.

Back