Dead Space 3 = Resident Evil 5 in space?

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by zioburosky13, Jun 5, 2012.

1. zioburosky13

zioburosky13 Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 24, 2004
    That's right folks, the next sequel of Dead Space has been announced.

Trailer here

They are introducing the co-op gameplay in this one, which I think takes away the suspend and horror of its predessessor.

As long as they include melee weapon which allows you to cut the limbs off a necromorph, I am sold for that. :ugly:

2. fedaykin

fedaykin Vault Fossil

Jul 15, 2007
    Sigh. No game is safe from the curse of co-op these days.

3. The_Noob

The_Noob It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 28, 2012
    'Tis true. Bad ol' Bethesda probably made that TES MMO to shut people up about co-op in Skyrim.

4. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    Apparently, you can play the game solo and you won't have a co-op partner controlled by AI.

Apparently.

5. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    if they would make at leats good co op ...

6. mobucks

mobucks As a goof Orderite

May 22, 2010
    While I disdain the new direction RE has taken (give me the action adventure games of old!) RE5 CO-OP with a good partner never gets old.

7. Makagulfazel

Makagulfazel Adept Bungler of Things Orderite

Jun 14, 2007
    *rubs nipples*

Emmmmm, co-op. Don't mind if I do!
    Also, if I recall correctly, I think I picked up Dead Space 2 for like $20(on Steam) a month or two after it came out. Hard to fight a bargain if they end up doing that again.

8. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    Optional coop? Why not? As long as it doesn't stick you with a dumbass AI in single player, I'm down. I don't know if I'm going to pick DS 3 up though. I liked the second one a lot but it left a bad taste for some reason. I'm a little disappointed at how similar it seems even though it takes place on a snowy planet.

9. brfritos

brfritos Humma Kavulaaaaaaa

Sep 8, 2009
    The irony of all of this is Bethesda is one of the few devs that remained true to their word, when they stated their games are mainly SP and not MP.

If people want MP games, they will develop a new one that's exclusivelly MP.
    And I'm not talking about the quality of writing or gameplay, please don't start that!

Like I said, the irony.

10. The_Noob

The_Noob It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 28, 2012
    They actualy started a whole new company to make online games so they could work on derailing their singleplayer games.

Let's hope Fallout 4 isn't complemented by a revival of PV13 under Zenimax Online's supervision.

11. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Dedman oTO Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    Horrible. Fucking awful. No series is safe.

12. For NCR

For NCR It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 1, 2012
    Well, what do you know? Another attack from the rEApers! Anything to make a quick buck.

I just hope Co-op elements won't be "sprinkled" around single player.

13. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    I guess EA decided they didn't have enough Gears of War competitors on the market, what with Mass Effect and Army of Two already around. I mean, not like Dead Space 2 was free of that curse (what a fucking awful, disappointing sequel) but this is ridiculous.

14. For NCR

May 1, 2012
    Ya know, I never found anything really bad about Dead Space 2. Can someone fill me in on the Cons?

15. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    I wrote this a while back:

http://www.giantbomb.com/dead-space-2/61-25444/user-reviews/?review_id=21215

Long story short: too linear, too action-oriented, not enough puzzles or exploration, too many characters ruins sense of isolation, game world logic kind of went out the window in a lot of places, etc. The latter half of the game gets better with some cool stuff (that huge solar array) but overall it's a much dumber, more straightforward game that has very little of its survival horror roots left.

16. For NCR

May 1, 2012
    I still found it having it's original roots. THe only difference I see is the added action and Isaac has a voice.

17. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    The super-linear levels, lack of puzzles, greater amounts of ammo, more QTEs, and more "cinematic" storytelling went over your head?

18. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Dedman oTO Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    I encountered one game breaking bug on Dead Space 2 too. It was decent, but 3 looks like an abomination.

19. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    The original wasn't different.

This doesn't look very much like the previous two games, then again it is a trailer. And trailers for Dead Space are notoriously misleading.

20. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    Nah. The original game had far fewer QTEs and they were used a bit more effectively (most of them in combat), there were way more puzzles in the first game than the second game, the levels were generally open-ended and several parts of the game had larger levels with multi-stage goals that could be completed in any order, ammo is much more rare, etc. I played them both at around the same time and the difference was obvious.