Do you Pay full price for games?

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by The Commissar, Jun 10, 2004.

1. The Commissar

The Commissar Vault Senior Citizen
    Orderite

May 18, 2004
    I know some of you don't pay ANYTHING for your games, so you don't need to post with smug superior comments (Ratty I'm looking at you)

Anyways. I was just wondering, who out there pre orders, or pays full price for computer games? I've only really ever bought a game right when it came out twice, both were stinkers (Black and White, Lionheart) which has kind of slanted me towards NEVER PAYING FULL PRICE EVER. Actually I did buy Lords of the Realm 3 right when it came out (which also sucked) but it was $20. If more games came out in the $30 price range initially, I know I'd buy them earlier instead of hovering around like a software vulture waiting for discounted used copies to appear. What about you guys?

2. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    In fact, change that from "don't need to post" to into your posts will be vatted. We don't like warez talk of any kind or form here, that's been made clear before.

As for me, I'm a bargain bin person, and often way, way behind on what's new in the gaming world. Don't care, a game is still good even if it's outdated, and I don't have to update my computer as often.

I only pick out a few new releases, but I'm generally down there in the 10 EUR range.

Hell yeah, cheap-ass.

3. Elissar

Elissar Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Orderite

Aug 31, 2003
    I agree.... I'm more of a bargin bin person... but if i think a title looks promising, and if my computer can handle it... I'll buy the new game at full price.

and if it's fallout related I used to buy it new... (after FT:BOS i stopped doing that, thankfully, i rented a copy of FO:POS and BROKE that copy before dropping it in the night deposit box.)

4. Roshambo

Roshambo Antediluvian as Feck

Apr 3, 2003
    I sometimes buy a new game or two every month, but otherwise I'll use the six month rule. Wait six months, get a good impression by those who did pay full price (and give a couple of more months for the real impressions to come through), and if the game is still going strong, you're there enjoying it. If it's a dud, then you wasted nothing as you waited to see the problems and the activity around the game.

It's far cheaper, and leads to less disappointment.

5. Azael

Azael Still Mildly Glowing

Apr 6, 2003
    I usually buy from the bargain bin, or at least a few months after the release to be able to read up on the title. Never pre-ordered a game in my life. Have bought some pretty much the day they were released though, like Diablo 2 and Battlefield: 1942.

6. alec

alec White heterosexual male Orderite

May 21, 2003
    Honoured Member of the Bargin Bin Boys. :P

Only exceptions I ever made were for Age Of Empires 2 and for its brilliant expansion (The Conquerors). Bought those the day they hitted the shelves. And I never regretted that, because - as we all know - those are exceptional games.

7. King of Creation

King of Creation Vault Fossil

Dec 9, 2003
    I'm a big fan of abandonware games: games so old that they're free online. Like my Carmen SanDiego collection, that I still play! Other than that, I'll give the game a few months or so, try it out, but never really pay full price. I did, however, pay full price ($35) for Max Payne 2 when it came out.

8. Big T

Big T Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jan 23, 2004
    Full price over there is $35?
    Full price for PC games over here is something in the region of £40, that's like $70!
    And, in answer to your question Lauren, I very rarely pay full price for games, I usually wait for a decent offer on them, or 'til they've gone down to about £10-20 (or bargain bin).

Come to think about it tho', it's a long time since I've seen a game that I wanted to buy (before anyone says anything, that doesn't mean that I pirated it, it means that I didn't get it at all).

9. Karkow

Karkow Still Mildly Glowing

Feb 6, 2004
    The only games I paid full price (around €50) were: Fallout 2 and Thief: The Dark Project

The otheres were all discount!

(besides my old Mega Drive and Sega Saturn games)

10. Montez

Montez So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Jun 20, 2003
    If I think a game looks really good or the demo really impresses me I have no problem paying full price. If I'm not sure of the quality I'll wait for lots of reviews before buying, because I really hate spending $40-50 bucks on a game that turns out to be mediocre. With some games I won't pay full price no matter what: Jedi Academy, for example. I thought that Jedi Outcast was a fun game, and I liked the demo for JA, but I know that it just isn't worth $50.

I'm about a year or two behind the curve with most games though, so I usually end up buying them discounted by default.

11. Bhurak

Bhurak First time out of the vault

May 27, 2004
    Only bought games first week 3 times myself.

Tribes 2

Neverwinter Nights

DAOC

All 3 were good games and excluding tribes 2, there were relatively bug free (lack of shiny water for ATI notwithstanding)

I don't buy as many gaes as I used to mainly because I'm sick of RTS, FPS, and crpgs that play like final fantasy. This reduces the available games to purchase. When I do buy games, tey are usually a couple years old, or preowned from EB.

Bhurak

12. Psychotic Nutcase

Psychotic Nutcase First time out of the vault

Mar 3, 2004
  13. ||FLea||

||FLea|| Still Mildly Glowing

Jun 9, 2004
    umm I think thats along the lines of don't talk about pirating anything i'd delete that post if i was you! games here in oz retail for about $80 - over $100 new..

14. Odin

Odin Carbon Dated and Proud
    Admin

Apr 2, 2003
    Right, we do not condone piracy so consider this your first warning!

15. Ugly John

Ugly John So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Apr 3, 2003
    I bargin bin myself, or i trade with fiends ( real trading not copying)

16. Montez

Jun 20, 2003
    Man, that's like $110-140 american, they really screw you guys over down there.

17. ||FLea||

||FLea|| Still Mildly Glowing

Jun 9, 2004
    yep and most console games retail for $99.95 cept for resident evil etc that are like $110.

yeah I'm just lucky that I play the sims (*cough*) hehe a lot because I bought all of the add ons and thats about $35 each.

Don't get me wrong though i still play unreal etc and of course Morrowind etc.

18. Roshambo

Roshambo Antediluvian as Feck

Apr 3, 2003
    A slight correction since your math is a bit off. It's still a lot of money, though.

$80 AUD = $55.36 USD
    $100 AUD = $69.22 USD

19. Montez

Jun 20, 2003
    :oops: Oops, I reversed the exchange rates.

20. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite

May 18, 2003
    Piracy is a major problem in Poland, so distribution companies try to make games as cheap as possible. The average price for a game in a store here ranges from 100 to 150 PLN.

The price for a pirate version is 15PLN and an additional 10PLN for each additional CD. Let's make it 35PLN, m'kay?

35PLN: 9.00 USD
    100 PLN: 26.00 USD
    150 PLN: 39.00 USD
    200 PLN (rarely games are that expensive, only for english versions or collectors' pack): 52.00 USD.

Bought quite a few games full-price, including Fallout2, Arcanum and Tactics.