Dragon Age II: now more like Mass Effect 2

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Finally we'll have fully voiced PCs like the gaming press was whining for!

And all we had to sacrifice was interesting backgrounds and a choice of which race to play so you can play some guy called Hawke who wants to Rise to Power! AWESUM ITS JUST LAIK MAS EFECT!!!

BioWare. BioWare never changes.

Website

Action and Fantasy Collide in BioWare’s Dragon Age 2

Rise to Power and Change the World Forever in the Sequel to 2009’s RPG of the Year

EDMONTON, Alberta--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Leading video game developer BioWare™, a studio of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS), confirmed today that Dragon Age™ 2 is in development at BioWare’s Edmonton-based studio. Dragon Age 2 is the sequel to the triple-platinum-selling Dragon Age: Origins which was named “RPG of the Year” in 2009 by Game Informer, G4, IGN, and SpikeTV. With Dragon Age 2, the world’s preeminent RPG developer is revolutionizing the genre again, infusing the universe with more action, a new, more responsive combat system and a dynamic story that is already among the most multifaceted in gaming. Dragon Age 2 traces the rise to power of Hawke, a survivor of the Blight and a hero who will transform the face of the Dragon Age universe forever. The new game is scheduled for release in March of 2011 on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC.

“Last year’s launch of Dragon Age: Origins was one of the most successful in BioWare’s 15-year history and one of the most successful new IP launches in the 28 year history of EA,” said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Senior Vice President of Electronic Arts and co-founder and Group General Manager of BioWare. “Dragon Age 2 will simultaneously deliver an epic story and set a new bar for intense action in the genre. We're very excited to deliver this next bold evolution in the Dragon Age franchise to our fans.”

“With Dragon Age 2 we are creating an exciting new entry point into the Dragon Age universe while ensuring that fans of the original game retain a sense of satisfaction and familiarity in the world,” said Dragon Age 2 Executive Producer Mark Darrah. “We are amplifying the things that made Dragon Age: Origins such a huge success while introducing a more dynamic combat system, improving the graphics, and telling the most important story in our world.”

Dragon Age 2 thrusts players into the role of Hawke, a penniless refugee who rises to power to become the single most important character in the world of Dragon Age. Known to be a survivor of the Blight and the Champion of Kirkwall, the legend around Hawke’s rise to power is shrouded in myth and rumor. Featuring an all-new story spanning 10 years, players will help tell that tale by making tough moral choices, gathering the deadliest of allies, amassing fame and fortune, and sealing their place in history. The way you play will write the story of how the world is changed forever.

Dragon Age 2 is in production for the Xbox 360 videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system, and PC. For more information on Dragon Age 2, please visit our website at www.DragonAge.com, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/dragonage or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/DragonAgeOrigins.

Moar dynamic combat! Fuck RTwP, it's too slow!

Can't say that I really care. The combat in DA:O bored me and the different origins all lead to (mostly) the same dredge anyways.

they made a lot of mistakes with DA:O, especially the 1.3 patch, any word on a 1.4? but the PC version, they could have improved a lot, but they didn't, quite a few flaws, and the extra content is a joke, if this becomes even more dumbed down, and it somewhat sounds like it, another game to write off, :( the first one, wasn't bad, but I was seriously disappointed compared to BG 1 and 2, I not played ME 1 and 2, I seen demos of both game, but 2 was seriously changed in favour of consoles, got a bad feeling, DA 2 will be more dumbed down, because the consoles didn't / can't handle the game too well, which means the PC version will be even more dumbed down then the original, :(

shame, bioware have lost their touch, used to be good, but I have my doubts about them now, so much for we have a good track record of supporting games, when DA 1 1.3 did a lot of damage, and they not come out with a 1.4, not tried the expansion, but I read mixed reviews about that too, very disappointing :(

Bioware was always better at linear gameplay anyways.

The only sad part is the fact that bioware was the biggest RPG developer left.

BioWare and Bethesda are just shit now anyway.
They haven't made a properly good game in a long time.

Though I guess BioWare has always been the lesser of the two evils, at least they don't go round raping franchises (I should add: except their own).

I love the original story... get this:

You start as a penniless waif, and rise up to be the saviour of the land (taken from a Kotaku story).

Original! Thrilling!

Really though, I'm really starting to dislike the gaming industry.

I haven't played DA but was going to grab it but have played a lot of ME and ME2. How does the switch from DA1 to 2 relate to the switch from ME to ME2.

While I was upset with a lot of what ME2 did, 95% of the game building your team, ditching weapon mods, ruining the Citadel, I felt that the character creation/Shepherd him/herself wasn't altered THAT much.

A single background sure is disappointing, still, that can make a good story as well. And the story in ME-s was very good IMO.

That "more dynamic combat" thing is more troubling, but it's too early to say anything. They could mean any number of changes by such a statement, including, only a few barely-noticeable ones.

Love the direction games are taking. But...it might be somewhat interesting to play. Not sure what the hell 'dynamic' combat could be (maybe enemies adapt to your class or something along those lines)

Meh,screw you guys,im going to play some DA:O :D
Wait what?
How can it be more like ME 2?
ME 2 WITH the dlc and exclusive content had say at most, 15 (unique) (they are all unique,but there are only 15, its more like a fucking third person shooter, then an rpg game) weapons, 5-6 types of armor...and wait...oh yeah, a leveling system that would offend a 2 year old child...
ME 2 is one of the biggest fuck ups in gaming history...ever.
Yeah,ok,ok the inventory system in ME 1 was obnoxious, the mako sucked, you had skills that you would never put skills into....
But still, as an RPG game ME 1 fucks ME 2 the entire night,only to leave 10 dollars on the night table and sneak out in the morning.

fedaykin said:
...and nothing of value was lost.
feelsokisuppose.png

So, the last attempt of Bioware to make a real rpg saga with DA goes down the action/dumbing down drain... no surprise there.

x'il said:
So, the last attempt of Bioware to make a real rpg saga with DA goes down the action/dumbing down drain... no surprise there.

I'm a bit surprised actually, considering DA sold really good. But not that I care much, I was bored to death by the first one and I tried to get into it three times, seeing how many people found it to be good. Could never play more than few hours though. And I always hated RTwP combat, maybe I just suck at it but whenever I play the game with RTwP system combat feels like a clusterfuck to me.
I'd rather play Mass Effect.

Wow, some of the comments in this thread are sad really...

Couldnt be arsed with reading the details about DA2, but this is most likely a good thing.
I was really surprised how well ME2 managed to (mostly) improve the positive aspects of ME1, and reduce the negative ones, resulting in one damn good product.
Not sure how that will apply to DA gameplay tho, but after playing ME2, im confident people at Bioware know what they're doing and will take steps in the right direction.

Batcha said:
Wow, some of the comments in this thread are sad really...

Couldnt be arsed with reading the details about DA2, but this is most likely a good thing.
I was really surprised how well ME2 managed to (mostly) improve the positive aspects of ME1, and reduce the negative ones, resulting in one damn good product.
Not sure how that will apply to DA gameplay tho, but after playing ME2, im confident people at Bioware know what they're doing and will take steps in the right direction.

So, you don't read the information, and yet feel like calling us "sad?"

As for ME2, it's a good action game, but it isn't an RPG. That's the problem most of the people here had with it.

I didnt mean it to sound offensive, and havent called people "sad", but reffered to some of the comments.

We can talk about personal preferences, but making computer games is what people at Bioware do for a living.
I was sceptical about ME2, especially because the majority of the games i like are infact computer RPGs, and yet it turned out i was wrong.
ME2 felt, not just to me, what ME should have been in the first place, especially because i didnt consider ME1 that convincing in the rpg department. (The plot is different topic ofc, with it being a trilogy)

Now im not saying the changes to DA2 will necessarily proove to be great, its a different game than ME after all..
I believe they will, but i might be wrong...
But you have to agree it took guts to move away from the tried and tested method and make ME2 different, aswell as good product vision to make it deliver the way it did.

That being said, maybe people should wait to try out the game before they start criticizing the developers.

Yeah, multiple available begginings are a nice thing, but that was the purpose of Origins after all.

And yeah, "you start as a penniless waif, and rise up to be the saviour of the land" sounds quite cheap, but you can make even F1 sound that way if you like... "start off as some chum from the vault and ends up saving the wasteland by destroying the super mutant leader and their production facilty".

Even the most typical idea on paper can result in a great product if done in a creative and professional way. ME2 is a pretty good example of that imo :wink:

Back