Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Korin, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Kilus

Kilus Not Australian Orderite

May 3, 2003
    Yes, but it's also alot of work. Someone makes a little change or 'fix' or simply forgets to add in the trigger for one NPC(or even just for one state of a NPC) and suddenly the trigger can never work.

2. mobucks

mobucks jetski Orderite

May 22, 2010
    Dear Bethesda:
    Please make smaller games if you can't be bothered to tidy up your gigantic games. If you want to continue to dominate the open world sandbox genre, you need to raise the bar and do whatever it takes to polish these games to a higher standard. If not you, some other dev house will, if this isn't already happening.

3. TorontoReign

TorontoReign ⛧卐⛧ Staff Member Moderator [REDACTED]

Apr 1, 2005
    Why would they raise the bar? They get by with rave reviews no matter what. Most of the fans appear to be pleased. Skyrim got almost perfect scores even with all the bugs, so why should they change anything? If they made the next game smaller people would complain that there was not enough stuff to do. I don't see Bethesda changing much in the near future. I can't blame them really. Why should they release polished products when everyone buys them anyway? They release the kits, so others can polish the game for them. It is insane how far the Elder Scrolls series has slid. The decline from Daggerfall to Skyrim is incredible. If I could just have a game that looked like Skyrim, but played like Morrowind, I would be a happy fan. I know I am in the minority, but I don't care. I used to love Elder Scrolls so much....:cry:

4. mobucks

mobucks jetski Orderite

May 22, 2010
    I think, because discussions like this are taking place, likely on many different gaming sites, people en masse be starting to get wise to bethesda's gameplan. Right now there are game companies actively trying to topple Bethesda from the top of the open world sandbox rpg castle. Their attempts have not succeeded, yet. If Bethesda wants to increase it's lead, and secure it's future as king, they need to start hammering out a more polished product. No more relying on modders to fix the games.

5. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    Problem is that, even if people find the bugs, inconsistencies, and silliness like immortal NPCs, they still buy the game en masse and big sites still give it huge scores (jeuxvideo.com officially declared it the Best RPG Ever in December, I am boycotting that site ever since, what an idiocy). Even IGN made an article about glaring flaws in Skyrim after release, yet they still scored it 9 or 9.5, can't remember, and for the casual buyers and Bethesda itself that's all that matters. Exactly like Call of Duty; people on the 'net shit and moan about it, it still gets rave reviews and sells like crazy, so the publishers don't give a shit.

6. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    I have similar problems with quite a few of RPGs, but I suppose it's something to do with the fact I forget this type of detail easily. Although yes, it happens the most on Bethesda's games.

7. TorontoReign

TorontoReign ⛧卐⛧ Staff Member Moderator [REDACTED]

Apr 1, 2005
    That is just one of the many examples I found. They praised the game the entire review, but ended with how many bugs it had. IGN is the worst place to get game reviews IMO. I have a sub to Game Informer and Xbox magazine, and they both basically sucked Bethesda's dick the whole review too. They gushed about all the cool stuff to do, but only talked about the bugs in two sentences. Then they started to defend Bethesda by saying that games like that will have bugs because the game is so huge. Honestly I don't see Bethesda making any sweeping changes to anything as long as the games continue to sell. If you go on their forums and complain about the bugs what do they do? Usually they ban you from my experience.

8. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    Aye, there is nary a reason to go aboot thee Elder Scrolls Forums as they'll have ye hanged by yer haggis as soon as look at yer them moderators will if ye dare speak treason aboot their holy grail.
    /Scottish

On another note Valve added Space Core from Portal 2 into Skyrim.

9. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    I am just leaving this here for the pleasure of all. I wish Bethesda would have used that in their game!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2DshotexMU&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

10. DevilTakeMe

DevilTakeMe Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Sep 12, 2011
    Indeed, my first play through included me running into Megaton's Sheriff, and one of the first dialogue options is "Let's discuss this bomb."

Wait, what bomb? You mean there's a bomb in town?! Well, screw that, I'm leaving!

Or later, Seagrave Holmes' first encounter mentions T-51b power armor, when the only armor the Wanderer (and 99% of players themselves) encounters by this time is the T-45d Lyons' Pride is wearing.

As for something a bit more on-topic:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SE5owAIPmk[/youtube]

11. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    asian guy making FUS ROH DAH! I am already pleased :D

*Edit

Anyway is that some kind of mod in the making or just a combination of what is already out ? Seriously though do they have finally mods which allow you to mount a dragon!

12. White Knight

White Knight Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Aug 28, 2010
    No the video was part of the Bethesda game jam. The Skyrim team was given free-roam for a week, and this is what they came up with. Whether any of this is going to be used in the official game is uncertain.

13. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    That whole one-week game jam thing was so weird. I mean, mounted combat, dragon mounts, companion commands/learning, advanced dungeon design, seasonal foilage. Not sure I'm buying they did that in one week, unless there were development left-overs to work with. If they can do that kind of stuff in one week, why isn't their game better?

14. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    Well, we only see a couple of seconds of the new features.... as far as we know that could be ALL that they have gotten working.

15. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    kind thinking about DLC here ... but that is just a guess

16. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    It's possible that it's buggy stuff and was cut from the game because of that.

Though, I am thinking exactly the same. Why no pitch black dungeons? Why no spears in the game? Why no foot prints in the snow? Why "dumbed down" water effects? Okay, the last two could be due to performance issues. But still...

17. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    Integrating SSAO? All those new features/textures/animations in one week? Skyrim took the better part of four years to make on an existing (yeah yeah, tweaked, whatever) engine. I strongly doubt they crafted all that from scratch in one week.

I would have loved if they developped Lycanthropy and Vampirism more. Spears and bette dungeon design would have been welcome too.

18. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    The Dark Dungeons thing I think is because they didn't want to handicap anyone who wasn't using a torch, standard design by commitee style thinking.

The rest sounds like it either couldn't be fitted onto the disk or left out due to management, schedules or time to impliment it. Spears... gimme!

Maybe it should be named "things they had for a while but actually put into the game during the week".

19. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Well, you can do lots of things in one week. Also keep in mind, that these guys know their engine. This speeds up progress as well. Why it wasn't in the main game from the beginning really can have lots of reasons. Like the above mentioned "some people won't like it, so we better don't do it!11" or performance issues, etc. At least this flying dragon stuff would fuck up the game, due to the city areas, which are different maps.

20. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    I wasn't wondering about the flying dragon, or even mounted combat, as much as the better dungeon design. I think they did a fair job with dungeon layout but holy shit do dungeons get repetitive quick. Could really have benefited from adding more creative stuff. Hell, it has some, like those ships that are stuck inside a cave, that was a cool dungeon. But "draugr-filled ruins #1353", not so much.