Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics free for 48 hours

What makes you think that? There are plenty of tards who think that isometric/turnbased 2d RPGs can not be "immersive"- and they are dead serious about it.

To be fair, I wouldn't recommend the game to anyone who doesn't like RPGs either.

What's up with that, then? Well, according to the Fallout article on Wikipedia, in the section dedicated to the many IP lawsuits that Interplay and Bethesda threw at each other over the past decade:

Interplay's rights to sell and merchandise Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel will expire on December 31, 2013.

Whoops, that's now! How the time flies. Looks like Herve Caen's time in the sun with the Fallout series is finally coming to an end. Perhaps he's decided to sabotage its value a bit before passing it on to its loving new owner? Well, whatever the case, if you want these games from GOG, you'd better get them now, because

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ger-gives-out-fallout-trilogy-for-free.88422/

He's finally done something right.

Are any of the mods etcetera, that are here, able to be used with the Mac osx versions that are on GOG?
Failing that are their details of how to manually edit the save game files which I am guessing will be be in the original hex
Be a pain to use win XP( soon to lose any virus protection updates when Microsoft deprecates it in a few months) which is the best my old version 1.1 Mac Pro (which is also limited to snow leopard) by its aged mother board) can run....
Yes hand me down gear but it is what I have to use for now.

Best bet would be to check the GoG community section as a lot of Mac users there ask about modding so you can probably find what you need.

Yay for no longer needing 4 or 5 disks to install Tactics every time I feel like watching them sweet sweet death animations. Also pretty sure both my disks of 1 have conked out so yay on getting a digital version of that as well. :P

GOG Troll said:
I would not recommend this game to anyone who does not like RPGs. Go straight to Fallout 3, as it has elements of an FPS in it.

Yeah, if you don't like RPGs you might want to, I don't know, not play them?

The sort of person who's more concerned with having their eyes engaged than their mind would probably do well to focus on less interactive forms of entertainment, anyway.

So, you guys think I should run Tactics with that rebalance mod they released some time ago inmediately, or I should experience vanilla first?

I purchased the entire FO1/2/Tactics a few years ago, then made the mistake of trying out the new Fallout 3 game I got on sale at Steam. I never went back to FO1 or 2! I've traipsed through the entire Capital Wasteland so many times I know it by heart. Now I've just grabbed the collection again because I can't find my copies. GOG.com is a great site for older games, as well as the go-to site for The Witcher series. I'm looking forward to someday trying out the original Fallout games.

Well this is cool. while I already have a physical copy of the games. I'll just pick these up as back ups.

I purchased the entire FO1/2/Tactics a few years ago, then made the mistake of trying out the new Fallout 3 game I got on sale at Steam. I never went back to FO1 or 2! I've traipsed through the entire Capital Wasteland so many times I know it by heart. Now I've just grabbed the collection again because I can't find my copies. GOG.com is a great site for older games, as well as the go-to site for The Witcher series. I'm looking forward to someday trying out the original Fallout games.

lol

So, you guys think I should run Tactics with that rebalance mod they released some time ago inmediately, or I should experience vanilla first?

Meh, tactics is pretty imbalanced (having never played that mod). And because tactics is more strategy than story based, it's not like you're corrupting your first run through.

I was given the entire Starcraft collectors box set for xmas many years ago, and it was my first and last attempt at strategy games. I'm certainly far too stupid to figure out how to be successful at them, and really, I don't much care to learn. I prefer loner-style RPGs over squad-based ones, such as Neverwinter Nights, though I did grow to love the first of them. And of course, I was one of those imbeciles that ran around WoW by myself, soloing instances and saving every bit of gold I could so that when I reached high enough level, I could get the good gear. heh. back then my rig was so pathetic that I had the graphics at bare minimums to play it, and I was tempted to try it again for a month just to see what I was missing, but the Elder Scrolls Online is due out @ 4/14, and I have far too many Steam games waiting for me to install them. heh.

Heh, you'd be surprised. It usually boils down "Muh atmosphere". And of course, the ever-relevant "immersion" debate.

I'm afraid that is what caused me to stop playing Fallout when I started FO3. If I'd known then what I do now, I'd have stuck with it at least long enough to get into the whole wasteland vibe. Instead, I was so dumbstruck by how great FO3 looked and played that it became an obsession. Only now, after 4 years of fairly steady playing of FO3, in between runs through Skyrim, The Witcher 1/2, and some others, have I found that I'm ready to sit down with the original games and play through them, enjoying the immersive instruction on what is mentioned in the newer games.

Oh, and being a retiree, I appreciated the ability to cheat my butt off in FO3, since I'm such a spaz that if there was such a thing, in the midst of battle I'd press the button that forces my character to stop shooting and give my weapon to the opponent, then stand there like an idiot, waiting for thanks. AHAHAHA!

Are there any important downloads for fo tactics?

Is there a simplified/best way to edit portraits? All the in game portraits suck and damn I'm too dumb to fallow the directions I've been googeling.

Here's the high resolution patch

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1241

You should be able to install it just fine with GOG's version, but I know Steam's version isn't even patch to the most up to date version and getting this to work can be a nightmare. In case it doesn't work as is, here's a few links I found helpful (the second one will save you a lot of frustration).

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1144779

http://rogerward.net/fallout-tactics-patch/

Do we know if Zenimax are going to support theses games on Steam or just bury them?

I have to assume they will remain on Steam, all of id's old games are sold there (Commander Keen, Doom, Heretic/Hexen, Quake, etc.). Still, the GOG versions are far more well optimized for modern systems, not to mention there are no Mac versions on Steam. It seems Bethesda likes to deal with them only as far as PC digital distributors go.

Back