Fallout 1.5: Resurrection

I have a whole damn essay for you.

The maps are very similar to San Fransisco in F2. Lots of buildings, people and a large map but so few NPC's that can actually say something important. Now in some areas this isn't a problem at all like the suburbs of Albuquerque but this was a problem for most of the game.

The translation is good mainly, tho the beginning and the end could be better.

The lack of resources (mainly caps) at the start. This wouldn't be that bad if the game wasn't harder compared to the originals. In my first playtrough, I played with game diff hard and combat diff hard with no guides and I really had to load so so much. Now I know I made it harder for myself, but I also played the originals on hard as well with no guides and it wasn't really as hard as this. I also hate the lack of good merchants.

Not a problem that is exclusive to this game but some skills are so underused. Like science only is required in PROGEMA and in Rebirth base (tho you can easily finish that area with 0 science). Repair is used... Like 1 time? I like that traps was implemented better tho.

Weird curve with most weapons and armor. I pretty much skipped from leather armor to combat armor and that was because I paid attention to that Pedo's inventory. If I didn't I would go from leather to Power armor LMFAO. Hell even finding leather armor itself was hard. In F2 there was a clear curve with most armor and you knew that you were slowly getting stronger. I went from leather jacket to leather armor to Leather armor mark II to metal, then combat, then Power armor. I also believe some players get brotherhood armor before power armor as well. There is a clear curve here, unlike resurrection. Same goes for weapons. My curve with small guns stopped almost completely when I reached sniper rifle. I was lucky that I found .223 pistol in one of Nestor's mercenaries corpse I guess but If I didn't do that, I would get stuck with sniper rifle for most of the game. I spent 40% of the game with only sniper rifle honestly and while it is a good weapon, it felt very boring after a while. I tried to switch to energy but you pretty much need Tag! to reach to a good skill level in energy. This was with 9 IN btw. Even if I transitioned early, it still would be the same. Most new weapons are bullshit. I like the new big guns additions tho.

The atmosphere gets praised a lot, but I think the execution is off a bit. There are two ways Resurrection tries to get a darker atmosphere. One is by some dark quests and morally grey factions, which is good and appreciated, and the other is by making most people insufferable pricks for no reason. Most people are selfish assholes at best and absolute psychos at worst, with the few "good" characters that have a shred of basic human decency being portrayed as completely helpless and unable to live without your babyfeeding (New Hope, Frederyk's Dream, the ghouls in sedit etc.).

Characters being rude out of nowhere isn't that bad, if it makes sense. In the original fallouts, there are lots of assholes. I am going to use Fallout 1 as comparison since the mod clearly takes inspiration from it. Most people in Fallout 1 are nice enough to you apart from some assholes (like garl), or people who are prejudiced against you (like Set) unless you go out of your way to be an asshole. Kind of like... Real life? But in Resurrection pretty much every person is a fucking asshole. I remember Julian ( the "better" side in Rat Hole) basically sending you into a suicide mission and if you refuse, he tries to kill you (this is also an another problem of the mod, a lot of dialogue options basically end with "You have a minor disagreement with me? I will blow your fucking head off, fuck your wife, and torture all of your kids, bitch!"). I remember the librarian in Sedit being rude, the entire police in sedit being insufferable, the sheriff being insufferable, Lost town being in a state of chaos, and Frederyk being the usuall helpless nice guy. The little hub is unironically the best part in Sedit and that's because it's from F1. There is a bunch of other examples, but I don't want to list them all because it would take so long.

I know that I sound like an oversensitive crybaby, but after a while of everyone being rude to you for no reason even though you are supposedly "Idolized" with a karma of 1000, it opresses you and bores you and makes you go "Why the fuck should I care, go wallow in your own misery for gods sake!". It makes you want to burn the whole world honestly. It would be nice if this was the intention, but it clearly isn't, as the game pretty much forces you to pick your favourite asshole and then want you to pretend you are like them. Being able to go "fuck you" to them would make the game much better.

It seems like the game shows these low-lifes and basically goes "people suck, man" without putting much thought into it.

A minor nitpick, but I would like more varied dialogue options. A lot of dialogue options basically are either "Yes sir, I will not forget the daily bootlicking session ever again!" or "Fuck you dumbass I am going to kill you now lol" ( This option makes the entire faction, or sometimes even the entire town hostile). Being able to be more neutral and not act like a pushover while also not being a full-on pycho would be appreciated.

I also feel like the game relies on a lot of old cliches in order to make the story good. Don't get me wrong, these are good cliches but they are repeated for a bunch of times. The game started good with the rat hole storyline which was excellent. The point was basically two guys fight each other for a stupid ass reason that could all be prevented if they had basic common sense and during the process, turn the entire town to hell. The usual "Humans never change." stuff. It was good.

But the same basic point gets repeated again and again in Sedit, Corath and Albuquerque. It gets boring fast. Not to mention, a lot of towns seem to be like copies of the original locations, with a few differences. Sedit is the Hub but more opressive and the police do nothing, unlike the police in the Hub. Albuquerque is Vault City but they made a deal with Nazis and also there are crazy doctors. The city itself is even worser than Vault City btw. It feels like a very cheap shot at making the atmosphere worse.

The main story is very good tho, the only place where it could be better is the Savior. It is very clear they took inspiration from the Master, but they did it wrong. Basically, a guy gets trapped, goes crazy and thinks that everyone should fucking die. He convinces the ghouls with his IN 10 CH 10 speech checks, and no one apart from a few people actually tries to uncover the lie. Feels very cheap.

So yeah, the game is good with it's good main story and quests, but with everything else being average at best. Definitely is recommended, it is just overrated a lot.

Last edited:
Thanks for that! You have good points even though I liked the game for the very same reasons you disliked it. However I agree though that having more dialogue options is always good. Here are my impressions from when I first played it last year.

hello,

i have got this version of the game Fallout Resurrection HD [Extended] v1.5.116 and it is very laggy.
i have change only resolution from default to 1600x900.

Can i please for some advice what to chnage to fix lags...

Hi mad.
I have same version which I run from desktop icon at 1280x720.
bandicam 2023-04-05 12-08-34-161.jpg

I don't have high res enabled.

Attachments

• bandicam 2023-04-05 12-09-02-122.jpg
    bandicam 2023-04-05 12-09-02-122.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 130
Ok, but when I disable high res by changing it files name game can't load due to lack of file.

Default sfall version available in this version is 4.2.x.x

I install this version in sub folder not in root one..

In the screenshots you may have noticed path I used for FO2 install. C: Games Fallout 2.
The sfall version that shows on loaded screen is 3 something, so not the same as yours.

All I know is that at 1600x 900 it does not look good anyway, that is why I used 1280x720.

My FO2 I can uninstall then re-install then add any TC without using sub folders.

There are people here ( NMA) far more competent than me to advise.
@Proletären is a helpful guy or some of the modders

Ok, I will try install game in root folder with default resolution. Thx for time being...

unfortunatelly installation in root folder of fallout 2 with default resolution does not solve an issue. installation looks like below.
upload_2023-4-5_16-44-5.png
upload_2023-4-5_16-44-43.png
upload_2023-4-5_16-45-2.png

I have RTX 2060 mobile version and I did not set any fps limit but I'm not sure if this card is used or integrated with CPU

I have RTX 2060 mobile version and I did not set any fps limit but I'm not sure if this card is used or integrated with CPU
Try changing HRP from directX9 to directX7.
I never had problems, until I bought my new PC. Can't handle DX9. I get massive slow downs and stuttering, especially on worldmap.
Maybe that helps.

does it differ if you change the res in the ini-file instead? I remember my game being very laggy at one point. I had to reinstall and then it worked.

I have problems with lags only with this version of the game.
I have Sonora FE, Nevada FE with 1600x900 res and DirectX 9 and they work without any glitch.

Edit: I will try update sfall to 4.3.x.x or maybe 5.x.x

Last edited:
in fores.cfg set art_cache_size=261
in ddraw.ini set:
OverrideArtCacheSize=0
SingleCore=0
ProcessorIdle=0

that's all there should be to it.

one more thing
go to f2_res.ini
and set the game to dx9
as it's natively set to dx7 ( if you haven't installed dx jun 2010 runtime you probably don't have anything other than system's direct x version)
look up other stuff in there too. having both CPU control in f2res.ini and ddraw.ini enabled is ok as long as you have SingleCore=0 set.

@Muttie
his caard may not support dx7 at all anymore :p
besides resurrection natively is set to dx7 and he prolly does not have any libraries for that present either. cause natively win 10/11 only has dx12 it doesn't have dx9; 8 ;8.1; 7 etc you have to install them first..

@mad83
as You're at it don't forget to instal/update VC++ all in one from tech powerup as it may save you a headache with other games too.

Last edited:
I have problems with lags only with this version of the game.
I have Sonora FE, Nevada FE with 1600x900 res and DirectX 9 and they work without any glitch.

Edit: I will try update sfall to 4.3.x.x or maybe 5.x.x
I got a lot of desktop crashes with 1.5 Resurrection. Most often by the end of really long battles. That was annoying.

@Proletären
For the time beeing i recommend updating and sticking to v5.0.3.0 by Mr.Stalin. pretty darn stabile (this build built with the focus on stability as He claims on gitflic) classic 4.3.0.2 was glitchy and the original 3.7.3 that Resurrection came with originally is not so good either.
with 5.0.3.0 i haven't got a single crash in Fo:Sonora since I've updated sfall to this version.
Be carefull though, ddraw.ini requires heavy remodeling, and ddraw.dll differs somewhat from official build. some things are better, some things are not fixed like they were in official build ( cough OverrideArtCacheSize is still 256 cough .avi playback tearing cough etc.), and there are a ton of new things: melee run to target in combat, no knockback on unarmed, party npc deequip weapon and armor on reclicking, party skill use, expanded inventory, lots of enemy AI improovments etc. oh yeah 5.0.3.0 only uses gpu for rendering now reardless of GPUBlt= setting so no chance of using this on a android in emulation.

The s fall version I have with Reserection is 3.7.4. I never had any crashes whatsoever. Olympus was a different matter, glitchy and crashed more than a blind man driving on the M25. (such a pity)

@Proletären
For the time beeing i recommend updating and sticking to v5.0.3.0 by Mr.Stalin. pretty darn stabile (this build built with the focus on stability as He claims on gitflic) classic 4.3.0.2 was glitchy and the original 3.7.3 that Resurrection came with originally is not so good either.
with 5.0.3.0 i haven't got a single crash in Fo:Sonora since I've updated sfall to this version.
Be carefull though, ddraw.ini requires heavy remodeling, and ddraw.dll differs somewhat from official build. some things are better, some things are not fixed like they were in official build ( cough OverrideArtCacheSize is still 256 cough .avi playback tearing cough etc.), and there are a ton of new things: melee run to target in combat, no knockback on unarmed, party npc deequip weapon and armor on reclicking, party skill use, expanded inventory, lots of enemy AI improovments etc. oh yeah 5.0.3.0 only uses gpu for rendering now reardless of GPUBlt= setting so no chance of using this on a android in emulation.

So what is your recommendation in matter of update sfall for this specific game version?

To be more precise: how update it to not have any crushes....

edit: I have updated sfall to latest and adjusted files, but without any luck to improvment.

i think i will wait till new update will arrive from @Pyran....

Last edited:
So what is your recommendation in matter of update sfall for this specific game version?

To be more precise: how update it to not have any crushes....

edit: I have updated sfall to latest and adjusted files, but without any luck to improvment.

i think i will wait till new update will arrive from @Pyran....

I told You what You needed to set, in ddraw.ini

Updating sfall by yourself, is a task that is ment only for people who know what they are doing, If you don't know how to do it, then don't to it, it's too much to explain there are tons of options varying from build to build, there's literally no chance someone is going to explain it to you. If You don't have the brains to manage it, then better leave it alone and wait for an updated release.

I told You what You needed to set, in ddraw.ini

Updating sfall by yourself, is a task that is ment only for people who know what they are doing, If you don't know how to do it, then don't to it, it's too much to explain there are tons of options varying from build to build, there's literally no chance someone is going to explain it to you. If You don't have the brains to manage it, then better leave it alone and wait for an updated release.

@gustarballs1983

i changed exactly what you were suggested without any improvment.

thank you all for advice....

Back