Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.1.2b (Unofficial Expansion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lexx said:
Isn't the "problem" with Lara that when the combat is initiated, Lara is told as the first target and therefore everyone going rampage on her first? Not sure right now, but this is what happens in my Fo2 mod. When I strictly tell two groups to attack each other, one specific critter is *always* the first, because the script runs through the critters, marks them with a temporary var and the last one in that cycle becomes the "true" first target.

What you described is similar to what happens during one of the battle sequences in Mutants Rising. I tell the leader of the attacking critters to target a specific critter from the opposing team, and all the allies of the original attacker target his original victim.

So if for instance Tyler targets Lara as his first victim during the party shoot-out, all of his goons are very likely to also target Lara. If Tyler was told to attack the PC first, it's fairly possible his gangers would also target the PC. Just my two cents.

TwinkieGorilla said:
I refuse to believe that something isn't different/hasn't changed. To have played a game for years and years and suddenly be faced with drastically different results? Come on. Though I will admit I might be confusing my frustration with the beginning part of the fight this time with my previous Tyler house party fight of yesteryear. I don't know. I've just never seen Lara get downed before I even had a chance to level anybody myself or come to her rescue.
I don't know what to tell you. :shrug:
Play it several times and see what happens...
If three guys shoot at her for three rounds, don't miss and one gets a critical, she will die fast. But that won't happen very often.
At the church fight she wont even be the main target most of the time.
At the Party fight however she will be most of the time (sometimes it's her gunman). She could probably do with 20 more HP or so.

@ Lexx and Ardent,

Lara is not set up as first target per se. The one initiating the fight is. Sometimes that is Lara, but not always.

@ .Pixote.

The sledgehammer guy in Lara's gang is missing a running animation (hmbmet). Do you know anything about that? Would it be easy giving him one? :wiggle:
Not really worth it if not though.

Sorry if this has been long resolved, but I remembered it a couple of days ago!

I remember that whenever I played (years ago), near the end of the game after some event (like taking the final quest or something like that), all traders would just stop getting new items. And it happened every time, always frustrated me... Has this been changed in the RP/unofficial patch?

P.S.
Killap, I am too interested in whether or not "The Extended Flamer Attack Mod" and "Party Orders add-on and NPCs Loot Bodies mod" will find their way in the RP :)

Darek said:
Lara is not set up as first target per se. The one initiating the fight is. Sometimes that is Lara, but not always.

That's right - so just run ahead of her and initiate the battle yourself. When the church gang targets you just run off and let the others take out Tyers gang, what's the problem...(don't bother responding Twinkie).

Darek said:
@ .Pixote.

The sledgehammer guy in Lara's gang is missing a running animation (hmbmet). Do you know anything about that? Would it be easy giving him one? :wiggle:

It can be done. :wink:

.Pixote. said:
(don't bother responding Twinkie)

Oh, really...it's no bother.

See, the problem is that not all of us repair cars. Some of us just drive them, knowutimean? You modders can all play "cheat-the-code" if you know and understand the code while simpletons like myself have no idea why something appears broken. We just sit here staring at it, wishing it wasn't broken (and trust me, long before my first post about this I'd tried beating that bum-rush. It's fuckin' maddening.)

I just downloaded the recent version of the RP, made a new savegame and played till this part Twinkie describes. I could not see any difference to how the fight evolved "pre-patch/mod". I get that you just want to report some inconsistency, but I don't remember having any problems at all (what with Lara dying etc) before, now it works the same. Combat and game difficulty is set to "normal".

Maybe you were just unlucky Twinkie?

Surf Solar said:
Maybe you were just unlucky Twinkie?

Could be. But I also re-loaded about 3 times, something I never even had to do back in '98 when I was a stupid-assed ninnyn00b. But like I mentioned earlier it might also be the Tyler battle which infuriated me the last time I remember having issues with this whole bit. So I might have lumped them together in my mind, had a shite time of the first battle and thought "This whole thing is still fucked? Dammit!"

Okay, I just played this fight last night. My character was level 5 or 6 at the time with all 10s for stats (I cheated my ass off -- so sue me 8-) ). He had Energy Weapons tagged, but no weapon of that class yet, so he was using Spiked Knuckles with 80 in both melee and hand-to-hand. Along for the ride were Sulik with a Sharpened Spear and Vic with a 10mm pistol. All three had Leather Armor.

Both the church fight and the second one were pretty hard, but the church one was harder because the two gangers inside the church -- the ones with Desert Eagles -- targeted my character exclusively, ignoring every other person attacking them, including Lara. In fact, I used that behavior to win the battle. I suspect they may have been set to attack the strongest opponent, and that was probably my character with his jacked-up stats. I hope so anyway, because a normal character would get killed by them pretty quickly. Lara's gang can't take them down fast enough to keep them from getting several rounds to shoot at you.

The fight started with Lara shooting the guard outside the door of the church. I nailed him three times with my spikes, and he got killed by Sulik and another of Lara's followers the next turn. From then on, the other two gangers pursued me relentlessly, so I ran in circles around the church while Lara, Vic, and the other characters took shots at them. One advantage was that Lara's sledgehammer guy entered the fight when I ran toward him. Eventually I stopped around a corner so they had to close distance before they could shoot me, and I punched one to death. The other one was killed by Sulik. I survived, but I was pretty banged up, HP in the yellow.

The second fight was easier because Tyler's gangers wanted to attack me, but I ran outside and there was so much activity near the door they couldn't all follow. I killed the one that did, then helped mop up inside.

One thing to keep in mind is that Lara says you don't actually have to fight in the battles. I'm not sure whether or not she'd be able to win if you just sat back and watched, though.

It would be interesting (and easier) if you could tip off Tyler and side with him in the battle. Lara's crew would never survive that ambush. Metzger might be impressed by that, too. One thing about this mini-plot is that the player has no real moral character-driven reason to side with either party, and the outcome has no impact on the rest of the game.

Because this part of the game is completely optional, I would not say that it's too hard. I would check the church gangers to make sure they don't always go after the player no matter what though, because that's kind of irrational and stupid. They should probably just attack the closest opponent.

I might even make it harder. Add another ganger in the church and give him a Grease Gun or something -- one of those Fallout 2 weapons you don't usually see until later in the game by which time they're outclassed. It's a matter of opinion, but I'd say Lara is biting off more than she can chew, even with half Tyler's gang off at the party. In fact, Tyler's so unconcerned about the threat Lara poses, he can afford to go off to a party.

I could win that encounter with a non-cheat level one character, just get the slavers and Tyler's gang to wipe each other out, then let Lara's gang clean up the mess, mind you leather armor will help, and having Sulik with a SMG is a bonus. Anyway lets move on with this Lara battle stuff... :wink:

.Pixote. said:
I could win that encounter with a non-cheat level one character, just get the slavers and Tyler's gang to wipe each other out, then let Lara's gang clean up the mess, mind you leather armor will help, and having Sulik with a SMG is a bonus.

If any of you are wondering what it's like trying to get health coverage in the U.S. it's very similar to trying to have this conversation.

TwinkieGorilla said:
.Pixote. said:
I could win that encounter with a non-cheat level one character, just get the slavers and Tyler's gang to wipe each other out, then let Lara's gang clean up the mess, mind you leather armor will help, and having Sulik with a SMG is a bonus.

If any of you are wondering what it's like trying to get health coverage in the U.S. it's very similar to trying to have this conversation.
Twinkie, people here have taken you seriously and listened. But if you are unwilling to accept when modders tell you the scripts for the fight(s) have not been changed, that at least one of the mods (mine in this case) should not affect the outcome of the fight(s) adversely, and you do not provide any more information (which exact mods you have installed, a link to a saved game of yours to test with, and/or the explicit steps you take when entering the fight(s)), then what more are you expecting to get?

EDIT:
Apologizes killap for this sub-topic hi-jacking your thread. The comments related to this should be moved to its own thread.

.Pixote. said:
Anyway lets move on with this Lara battle stuff... ;)
Lets not. Pointless bickering is pointless, I know. :lol:
But as it is I've happened to have found several genuine bugs with it, and this quest could use some more thought put into it.

UniversalWolf said:
Both the church fight and the second one were pretty hard, but the church one was harder because the two gangers inside the church -- the ones with Desert Eagles -- targeted my character exclusively, ignoring every other person attacking them, including Lara. In fact, I used that behavior to win the battle. I suspect they may have been set to attack the strongest opponent, and that was probably my character with his jacked-up stats. I hope so anyway, because a normal character would get killed by them pretty quickly. Lara's gang can't take them down fast enough to keep them from getting several rounds to shoot at you.

The fight started with Lara shooting the guard outside the door of the church. I nailed him three times with my spikes, and he got killed by Sulik and another of Lara's followers the next turn. From then on, the other two gangers pursued me relentlessly, so I ran in circles around the church while Lara, Vic, and the other characters took shots at them. One advantage was that Lara's sledgehammer guy entered the fight when I ran toward him.
There's no one with desert eagles at the church fight, just normal 10 mm guns. Tyler has a desert eagle but he's not there at the time. The guards inside the church are set to attack the closest, but they don't seem to follow that all to well. It gets pretty ridiculous when they behave the way they did for you.
One thing I've noticed is that if the player throws a hit at an enemy, that critter will automatically change it's target to you and not change it even if someone else is closer. I've meant to look into that for some time, but haven't gotten to it. Besides, I believe it's engine related so then I can't do anything about it.

UniversalWolf said:
One thing to keep in mind is that Lara says you don't actually have to fight in the battles. I'm not sure whether or not she'd be able to win if you just sat back and watched, though.
She will win the church fight most of the time but she don't stand a chance at the party. It is a bit of a dilemma. You don't want it to be too easy, but at the same time it forces the player to take action.

UniversalWolf said:
It would be interesting (and easier) if you could tip off Tyler and side with him in the battle. Lara's crew would never survive that ambush. Metzger might be impressed by that, too. One thing about this mini-plot is that the player has no real moral character-driven reason to side with either party, and the outcome has no impact on the rest of the game.
You can tip Tyler off before the church fight, after that there's not much point. Though if you don't take part in the fighting at all or at least if you help to kill Lara's gang at the party, Tyler's gang shouldn't turn hostile to you. Also, if Tyler wins, him and his guards should show up back at the church again.

UniversalWolf said:
Because this part of the game is completely optional, I would not say that it's too hard. I would check the church gangers to make sure they don't always go after the player no matter what though, because that's kind of irrational and stupid. They should probably just attack the closest opponent.

I might even make it harder. Add another ganger in the church and give him a Grease Gun or something -- one of those Fallout 2 weapons you don't usually see until later in the game by which time they're outclassed. It's a matter of opinion, but I'd say Lara is biting off more than she can chew, even with half Tyler's gang off at the party. In fact, Tyler's so unconcerned about the threat Lara poses, he can afford to go off to a party.
I strongly disagree with this. If the party fight was more of a separate quest from the church fight, then you could set it up however you want, but as it is now I don't think it's a good idea.

Dux said:
Sorry if this has been long resolved, but I remembered it a couple of days ago!

I remember that whenever I played (years ago), near the end of the game after some event (like taking the final quest or something like that), all traders would just stop getting new items. And it happened every time, always frustrated me... Has this been changed in the RP/unofficial patch?

P.S.
Killap, I am too interested in whether or not "The Extended Flamer Attack Mod" and "Party Orders add-on and NPCs Loot Bodies mod" will find their way in the RP :)

Anyone?

Darek said:
One thing I've noticed is that if the player throws a hit at an enemy, that critter will automatically change it's target to you and not change it even if someone else is closer. I've meant to look into that for some time, but haven't gotten to it. Besides, I believe it's engine related so then I can't do anything about it.

I actually think that is a good thing, even though it's not very realistic. I use that tactic every time I encounter deathclaws or aliens...shoot them all once and then run for your life, while your team slowly picks them off. It's a survival strategy that works, though it's less effective against critters with long range weapons. We can't ignore the fact that certain battles will require better tactics other than "charge", and the church fight ,at a low level, is one of them. :wink:

I can't believe you keep missing the point I'm trying to make as I never stated I've ever "charged" a fight. Here, let me try your language:

Lara charge whether Twinkie do or not. Lara die too early. Twinkie mad. Not Twinkie fault. Twinkie barely show up to fight and already Lara dead. Not make sense.

--off topic--
TwinkieGorilla have your ever been in an Enclave Patrol encounter with 7critters? I seriously wish you GOOD LUCK when you do..

I think I will address some of TwinkieGorilla's concerns, seeing I was the one that made most of the modifications to the church fight in the Den. As far as I know (and killap can correct me on this if I'm wrong), my modifications made it into both the Restoration Project and the Unofficial Patch fairly early in the process, and it hasn't been modified since.

I'm also assuming that you decoyed Tyler and two of his goons away from the church -- otherwise the fight gets much much harder.

To make things clear, I made no modification to the stats of any of the critters involved in the fight. Every gang members' armour, hitpoints, primary stats, skills and weapons remained the same.

The only real change as far as the fight is concerned is how the game counted the number of Tyler gang members. Before I made my changes, thanks to a bug only Marc (the other guard at the door) was counted as part of Tyler's gang (yes, Tyler himself was counted too, but he isn't here for the fight). The four other members of Tyler's standing in the church are not counted as part of Tyler's gang, though they are set hostile to the player once the fight is initiated. Note the following implications:

1. That segment of the quest is successfully concluded once Marc is dead -- you don't have to kill the other four gang members.
  2. The four gang members in the church won't come out to help Marc out during the fight (but see point 4).
  3. If you keep yourself out of perception range of the four gang members in the church (sneaking helps), then once Marc is dead, the battle is over, and you'll see Lara and the rest of her gang calmly saunter into the church, ignore the four members of Tyler's gang, and claim victory. I think that if your sneak skill is high enough, you can even sneak talk to Lara to gain your reward without triggering their wrath.
  4. If on the other hand any of the four gang members somehow sense you, then they will come out and try to attack you. However, they will totally ignore Lara's gang -- at least until Lara's gang inflicts enough damage on them (Lara's gang didn't target them before, since the game didn't consider them part of Tyler's gang. But since Lara's gang is counted as your allies, once any one of the four goons hit you Lara's gang will count them as hostiles. And even then, the four may still focus their attention on you.
  5. In the unlikely event that Lara dies, you can loot her corpse to get your reward money.

All I have listed above is vanilla behaviour. The only change I made is to now count all four members of the church as part of Tyler's gang. This simple change has several relatively major implications:

• Thanks to how the gang counting script works, during the fight the game will now remove Tyler AND two other gang members in the church, leaving a grand total of three opponents (Marc and the two goons in the church).
  • The two remaining gang members in the church will now actually run out of the church and assist Marc in the fight. So for Lara, her gang, and you, the fight just got three times more dangerous. Why? see the next point.
  • Assuming that you previously recruited Sulik, you and Lara's gang combined outnumber the opposition two to one (previously, it was six to one, since the four gang members in the church is deadweight unless triggered by the player), so you should still win the fight handily.
  • However, given that the opposition is slightly better armed than you, expecting to come out of the fight without any casualties is perhaps a bit...unrealistic.
  • Given that Lara is at the forefront of any charge, it is likely that all three gang members will target her first, unless the player makes himself or herself a nuisance. So all things being equal Lara has a much bigger chance to die.
  • In the somewhat probable event that Lara dies, you can still loot her corpse for the reward money (unchanged from Vanilla).

I think it's easier to present the rest of the information in Q&A format, so here goes....

====================

Q: So, is the fight harder?

A: Yes -- in fact, three times harder than before.

Q: Is it impossible to win?

A: No -- but you will have to use some advanced tactics (see below). Simply sitting back and watching the fight will result in a Pyrrhic victory most of the time (only two members of Lara's gang generally survive the confrontation unless you intervene).

Q: What if the player has a non-fighter build and can't intervene effectively?

A: Well, you can always exit to the west side of the Den once the fight has started. Combat will automatically end, and when you re-enter the East side of the Den, Lara's gang will have won the fight, Marc and the two gang members in the church disappear, and you can talk to Lara to claim your reward. Of course, you don't get the loot from Marc and the two gang members, but c'est la vie. Note that this is vanilla behaviour as well.

Q: I'm no coward! I want to fight and keep Lara alive. What can I do?

A: The key is to keep the enemy's attention on you: You may be more fragile than Lara (i.e. less hp), but most likely you're carrying a load of healing items, which Lara doesn't carry. How to get their attention? First of all, make sure you're carrying a more damaging weapon compared to Lara. Unless you inflict more damage compared to Lara, the enemy's attention will shift to her. Secondly, try to be the first to inflict damage on Marc and the two gang members. All things being equal, they will target the person who first inflicts damage on them. Thirdly, try to stand in the middle of the church doorway. The blocks the two gang members in the church from rushing out and joining the fight. Of course, it does mean that they are hitting you instead, but you have the healing items...

Q: The fight seems much more dangerous than before, and is no longer worth the reward (loot from dead people, Lara's reward, and kill xp). Why should I do it?

A: Well, there was suppose to be a +1000xp reward once you help Lara successfully beat Tyler's gang, but thanks to another bug this extra xp wasn't being rewarded to the player. For the RP and UP, I've fixed this. Given most players' development at this stage of the game, 1000xp is nothing to sneeze at.

====================

The bottom line to all this is that I think the original developers intended for the church fight to be relatively hard, given how the script was laid out. But thanks to a few bugs that didn't happen. It was my hope that by fixing the bugs, it made the church fight in the Den a major fight instead of the minor road bump it was.

If you have any questions or comments, please PM me, and I'll be more than happy to address them. Thanks.

Cheers,

The Haen.

1on1z3d said:
--off topic--
TwinkieGorilla have your ever been in an Enclave Patrol encounter with 7critters? I seriously wish you GOOD LUCK when you do..

Yeah DERPDERP I haven't been playing this game for 14 years or anything DERPDERP.

Also: Thank you, Haenlomal for your answer (since it's the only relevant goddamn fucking answer so far) yet I still have issues with it and with your tweaks. I'll address them tomorrow when the day is bright and my mood is: sober.

Would it be possible to remove screen lock in combat outside of your own turn?
This is very annoying if there are many characters fighting, and your screen gets stuck somewhere where you can't see anything until your next turn begins (and you may die before that happens).

Lockheed: yes, I don't remember exactly if it was through ddraw.ini or through f2_res.ini, but there is an option to do that. Well, in fact, I'm sure I used it for Fallout 1, I'm not completely sure if it's there for Fallout 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back