Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.2 - OPEN BETA (ie NOT FINAL)

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by killap, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oppen

Oppen FIXT n°1 fan

Dec 26, 2011
    I'll decide if I'll do it later, but thanks for the directions.
    Anyway, just for the sake of sharing the trick I found online while looking into the subject, a simple workaround to the assembly issue is to actually compile it as pure assembly on GCC and including the file when using MSC. This solution has the drawback of making it mandatory to write yourself the calling procedure, of course, but makes it simple to maintain in my opinion.

EDIT: Forgot to ask a few things. The first and more obvious is if you'd like to merge it upstream after I do it (if I do it), if so I promise I will do it in the cleanest way I can. All the conditional compiling will be handled by CMake, to avoid the possibility of that making the code harder to read. Plus, I will provide a CMakeLists, which will probably not change things a lot for you, though.
    The other thing is, I don't know what I should modify on the exe to match the dll, where should I look for info about this?

2. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    Re: I feel old XP

That's probably due to my poor wording. I never finish a RP playthrough on Win98/ME, so I can't be sure if it works 100%. :oops:

3. Felipefpl

Felipefpl Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 17, 2010
    Re: I feel old XP

i'm curious about this, talking about support for old OSes you told me you'd use the old version of inno setup since the new ones dont have this support, what about NSIS, the 2.46 and the svn versions?

4. Oppen

Oppen FIXT n°1 fan

Dec 26, 2011
    As for Killap's question, I'm always interested in knowing what it takes first, and decide later. Sadly, it's hard to get the relevant information (MSDN has got a list of deprecated and deleted win16 functions, but only takes into account in all of the other references as old as Win2000, so Win9x and ME are a great question mark). If it takes a major rewrite or it cripples in some way the newer versions, I'd stick to not older than Windows 2000, which is for what I have the references, and every extra support is an accident.

5. crazy_typ3r

crazy_typ3r First time out of the vault

Jun 13, 2013
    Where will you be after 2.2 released.

6. drawnacrol

drawnacrol It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 5, 2010
    Just dropping in to say your doing an awesome job Killap!

How about a donation option at the end of this release for all your hard work? Its the only way i can buy you a beer for your dedication to this project.

7. killap

killap Bear Dude Moderator Modder

May 16, 2005
    Looks like my arbitrary deadline of July 8th is going to be pushed back a week to July 15th. I'm still waiting on an update to sfall and this won't happen until then.

I could technically release before then, since I believe all the stuff on my plate is done, but after so long I'd hate to release without some final vanilla crash fixes from sfall.

So make use of this extra week -- keep testing and find any remaining issues!

8. crazy_typ3r

crazy_typ3r First time out of the vault

Jun 13, 2013
    i-c-o-m-e-h-e-r-e-e-v-e-r-y-d-a-y-f-o-r-t-h-i-s

9. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Can anyone tell me if the Brotherhood of Steel mini bases at the Den and NCR work properly, I think you can only access them after the main campaign is completed...I haven't checked. :oops:

10. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    Yes, they work pretty well in the beta I playtested, and you can access them right after the Navarro quest.

11. Darek

Darek is currently unavailable

Jan 7, 2008
    Killap, sorry for nagging but tribec8 still has funky animations when hit or killed.
    You did change it but it still doesn't work.

Code:
    procedure timed_event_p_proc
    "anim(self_obj, 10, 2);" has to be "anim(self_obj, 10, 0);"
    "anim(self_obj, 0, 2);" has to be "anim(self_obj, 0, 0);"
    Why do you want to keep that 2 there?
    I don't think the game accepts anything else than 0 there. If it isn't, the animation will freeze when you enter combat mode.
    I think "anim(self_obj, 1000, 5);" is OK, but haven't tested it. I mean that's the normal rotation code that is used a lot in the game isn't it?

abmerch1 has the same problem by the way.

Code:
    "anim(self_obj, 0, has_trait(1, self_obj, 10));" should be "anim(self_obj, 0, 0);"
    "anim(self_obj, random(10, 11), has_trait(1, self_obj, 10));" should be "anim(self_obj, random(10, 11), 0);"

"if (combat_is_initialized == 0) then begin" checks seems to be missing from both scripts in their timed event sections.
    When you fix their freezing issues, you will notice that they still do their timed events while in combat with you.

12. Nibiru

Nibiru First time out of the vault

Oct 12, 2012
    or you can lockpick

13. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Electronic or normal lockpick?

14. Glovz

Glovz Vault Dweller
    Modder

Sep 16, 2005
    regardless, if lockpicking is to be allowed for access before the Navarro quest is completed then it should be the Electronic version combined with a lockpick skill of maybe 70 or more. might there be other skill checks or consequences as well?

otherwise access would occur too early in the game IMO

15. killap

May 16, 2005
    Cause that is the direction she's facing. But apparently you don't have to pass the direction you want to the animation function, since it will just use the current rotation no matter what. At least that is what it seems.

Well, I've used other values than 0 and they work, but I guess I never checked the combat issue you spoke of. Lots of vanilla scripts use values other than 0 as well -- specifically they pass in the current rotation function, which is what you were seeing in the abmerch1 script.

Good catch. I wonder what other scripts are like this.

The doors behave just as they did in vanilla. You can't enter them until after the Brotherhood quest in San Fran. They have no means of lock picking either. All that's new is that the facilities in the Den and NCR now actually have underground areas. So yeah, no early access. End of false info. :)

16. Nibiru

Nibiru First time out of the vault

Oct 12, 2012
    i think i have lockpicked these doors without achieving any quest, even if more of 100 lockpick skill was needed

17. killap

May 16, 2005
    No seriously, there is no way this could happen -- I just looked at the script. The door only unlocks when you join the BOS. There is no handle on the door (you see this message when you try to use it) to lockpick anyway.

18. Mohamed2001

Mohamed2001 HATE NEWSPAPERS

Jan 28, 2013
    And if the Underground part isn't appearing, start a new game.

Don't use an old save from the previous version, you won't be able to access the underground.

19. Darek

Darek is currently unavailable

Jan 7, 2008
    That's not how I understood it (not sure I know exactly what I'm talking about though).
    When using the anim command, I think the valid last number is 0 or 1 (ANIMATE_FORWARD and ANIMATE_REVERSE).
    Setting it to ANIMATE_REVERSE here will cause animation freeze in combat though.

Only when using "anim(self_obj, ANIMATE_ROTATION, X)" or "anim(self_obj, ANIMATE_SET_FRAME, FRAME)", does the last value mean something else (up to 6 for rotation and the frames I don't have a clue about). I haven't tested if these are a problem but assume they work.
    If you want something else than 0, maybe you are supposed to use "reg_anim_animate" instead? That seems to work without freezing, as long as the value is valid (not negative as I think the tribec8 was before).

Here's an example:
    The original DCORPHAN script had "anim(self_obj, ANIM_magic_hands_middle, rotation_to_tile(self_tile,dude_tile));".
    The RP version has "reg_anim_animate(self_obj, 11, rotation_to_tile(tile_num(self_obj), tile_num(dude_obj)));" instead.
    The former freezes and the latter don't. Though if the orphan is also meant to face the dude, that part ain't happening.

The only other script using the anim command I'm talking about is ECMELCHR. He originally had "anim(self_obj, ANIM_throw_anim, -1);", and then you changed it to"anim(self_obj, 18, has_trait(1, self_obj, 10));". Both should break, but none of them do. Perhaps cause the code is first run while already in combat?

20. eXalted

eXalted First time out of the vault

Aug 28, 2012
    Oh, s#!t! Looks it's time to install Fallout 2 once again! 8-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.