Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.3.2 (Unofficial Expansion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is more of a modding question, but I have trouble opening EPA maps in BIS mapper. It crashes. All other maps are opened just fine. Does anyone have a solution? I'm using latest hi-res patch and city limit patch.

Hi

great mod - thanks for all your work

have a problem though

i gather there is supposed to be a map to the raiders camp in Bishops safe - but there wasn't --- situation was that i delivered the briefcase, didn't take the next mission then left and did loads of other missions, later came back and accepted the assassinate mission, then robbed the safe (which had loot but no map) before i left

if theres no way for me to retrieve a map i assume this "Exit Vault City to the world map on foot sometime around midnight, and you have a chance of spotting the raiders. The higher outdoorsman the better, but since you can enter/exit until you get it, you don't need a very high skill. You have to have talked to Sergeant Stark about the raiders before this option becomes available" is the only other option?

thanks

Been trying to get this to work some more(to fix the issue where Den loads as a black, empty map). Uninstalling and reinstalling several times with various tweaks, tinkering with many of the high res settings in SFall and F2_res.ini. Surprisingly, I was able to navigate to The Abbey and load that okay but I tried to enter the basement area and it was another black screen. I know there is a note in the installation about 'legacy' mode for if black screens are encountered, but when I do legacy mode straight up the game is unplayable due to 8-bit graphics as well as maps ending prematurely(as in, can't move around a map properly). Following the instructions on the FRP technical wiki about the DDraw.ini and F2_res.ini gets me the HD graphics just fine at 2560x1440 resolution, but then apparently much of the added content now won't load(also had a special encounter 'angry outcasts' that briefly popped up before exiting to the world map).

I'm no expert, but tt seems like the type of thing where the program is looking for files in the wrong place or something. Though surprisingly it loaded the Abbey just fine (also the rock that shows the version number and installation message was where it should be) I've tried installing in program files as well as in the parent directory(Again this is in OS X Mavericks and Wineskin/GOG version) but no avail. I even tried changing the denbus1.map and related files to DENBUS1.MAP and other capitalizations. I've poured over this thread and assorted materials for a solution but unless I'm just missing something right under my nose here, I haven't seen one.

I've tried a step-by-step manual install as well, which often led to the game not starting or otherwise flipping out in some way or another(reverting to 8-bit/busted mouse and graphics)

The one thing I haven't completely tried, because it takes a bit of extra uninstalling and reinstalling is changing my wineskin version of windows, which is to say, I've tried doing that on the install I have, but I haven't say, set it to Windows 98 and _then_ done the Legacy install. I think it defaults to Windows XP. I'm not sure how much if any of a difference that makes, maybe that's the key right there.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated if one exists. I'll keep tinkering otherwise, but I've come to the point where my technical know-how has been depleted and it's basically just guesswork(i.e. I mightn't even have the proper tools to fix this problem if it's not file system or .ini related)

Hi

great mod - thanks for all your work

have a problem though

i gather there is supposed to be a map to the raiders camp in Bishops safe - but there wasn't --- situation was that i delivered the briefcase, didn't take the next mission then left and did loads of other missions, later came back and accepted the assassinate mission, then robbed the safe (which had loot but no map) before i left

if theres no way for me to retrieve a map i assume this "Exit Vault City to the world map on foot sometime around midnight, and you have a chance of spotting the raiders. The higher outdoorsman the better, but since you can enter/exit until you get it, you don't need a very high skill. You have to have talked to Sergeant Stark about the raiders before this option becomes available" is the only other option?

thanks

how exactly do you do this bit :

"Exit Vault City to the world map on foot sometime around midnight, and you have a chance of spotting the raiders. The higher outdoorsman the better, but since you can enter/exit until you get it, you don't need a very high skill. You have to have talked to Sergeant Stark about the raiders before this option becomes available"

I tried leaving the base at midnight and wandered around using the strategic map for a couple of days so would have been doing it "around midnight" a few times but no luck. My outdoor skill is low (starting value) so i guess this affects it - its just that i don't know if i have the process right of actualy trying to achieve it

another thought on the map - if i take the counter mission to Bishops request to assinate Westin might this mean the map reappears?

many thanks

Makes me wonder if you checked the right safe... I tried driving around to find the base then drove to New Reno and did find the map in Bishop's safe. I also did have the quest to find the Raiders.

Anyway. I left my car at Vault City, walked to the Raider base. Oddly while walking, the travel screen showed the car. After dealing with the raiders the car had disappeared. It isn't at Vault City and it isn't at either Raider base exit. Re-entering the base and exiting does nothing. Suggestions? Reload and drive to the base? Leave the car somewhere else? Has anyone else noticed this?

Then there's the missing VR Module. I think I stored it in the car trunk then went to New Reno. The car was stolen, I got it back and upgraded the trunk but when I finally looked for it at Vault 13 it was gone. I checked the Den merchants to see if had been stolen and given to one of them. Hell, for all I know one of the kids could still have it in his inventory but they were all in the orphanage by the time I noticed it was gone. Maybe it just got smashed by all the other junk in my trunk... :wiggle:

Makes me wonder if you checked the right safe... I tried driving around to find the base then drove to New Reno and did find the map in Bishop's safe. I also did have the quest to find the Raiders.

Anyway. I left my car at Vault City, walked to the Raider base. Oddly while walking, the travel screen showed the car. After dealing with the raiders the car had disappeared. It isn't at Vault City and it isn't at either Raider base exit. Re-entering the base and exiting does nothing. Suggestions? Reload and drive to the base? Leave the car somewhere else? Has anyone else noticed this?

Then there's the missing VR Module. I think I stored it in the car trunk then went to New Reno. The car was stolen, I got it back and upgraded the trunk but when I finally looked for it at Vault 13 it was gone. I checked the Den merchants to see if had been stolen and given to one of them. Hell, for all I know one of the kids could still have it in his inventory but they were all in the orphanage by the time I noticed it was gone. Maybe it just got smashed by all the other junk in my trunk... :wiggle:

you mean theres more than one safe?

the one i robbed was the one in Mrs Bishops bedroom (just next to the room where Bishop is) - i just sort of went in there to erm, well you know :wiggle: ..... anyway, do you know what room the other safe is in?

many thanks

There are 3 safes.
  1. One is in Mrs. Bishop's room. If you have sex with her, she will tell you her safe's combination in her sleep. Inside hers you will find a valuable necklace.
  2. The second is in Ms. Bishop's room; Angela I Believe, the promiscuous jet flying daughter, the one in the middle. She opens her own safe to get the jet.
  3. The third safe, Mr. Bishop's, is in the last NW room.
    It's trapped...
    It can also be re-trapped and the combination changed to kill Mr. Bishop.

Last edited:
Angela's safe is in the middle room, her mom's is in the southernmost room, and Bishops safe is in the NW room.

thanks guys

it was definitely Mrs Bishop i plundered :)

i'll have to go back and look in the other rooms

cheers

Angela's safe is in the middle room, her mom's is in the southernmost room, and Bishops safe is in the NW room.

You are correct. It's easy to tell, as hers is all punked out... I'll edit my post so there's no more confusion.

doctoxic (03:48AM) --
To track the raiders from Vault City, you wander around outside the city walls. Do not take the car, and do not walk onto the exit grid. Around midnight, the dialog window pops up. It tells you that you notice a group of armed men moving in the dark. You may choose to ignore, or follow. If you choose to follow, you will walk, not drive, to the raider base.

Last edited:
doctoxic (03:48AM) --
To track the raiders from Vault City, you wander around outside the city walls. Do not take the car, and do not walk onto the exit grid. Around midnight, the dialog window pops up. It tells you that you notice a group of armed men moving in the dark. You may choose to ignore, or follow. If you choose to follow, you will walk, not drive, to the raider base.
Yes you are supposed to walk onto the exit grid, that is where the triggers are. Each spatial script (trigger) has ring ring of squares around it to cover more space, that causes every other square outside of the exit grid to also be triggers, plus NPCs can also trigger the script if they decide to stroll onto the trigger area. So while it's possible to trigger the event without leaving, that was not the intention.

I left my car at Vault City, walked to the Raider base. Oddly while walking, the travel screen showed the car. After dealing with the raiders the car had disappeared. It isn't at Vault City and it isn't at either Raider base exit. Re-entering the base and exiting does nothing. Suggestions? Reload and drive to the base? Leave the car somewhere else? Has anyone else noticed this?
Maybe you should put up your save game somewhere, so someone here could take a look. There was this bug where you could lose your car in the first town after the Gecko enclave encounter. Though I thought that had been fixed.

Or maybe Merk stole it in NCR?

Darek --
I submit to reproof and correction. I tried it before I posted, and like every other time I've played, I stayed near the Vault City wall and off the exit grid. And, just like every other time, I spotted the raiders around midnight. But, every time I've played, Vic & Sulik & Cassidy were milling around, and they did go onto the exit grid.

Edit: OK, I just had my posse wait in the courtyard, waited until 2 minutes past midnight, and went out the gate. I patrolled the outer fence -- no raiders. I patrolled two hexes from the exit grid -- no raiders. I walked right up to the exit-grid boundary, and there the raiders were. So, it was my companions milling around that triggered the raiders sighting previously.

Last edited:
I'm getting this all the time I try to open Fallout2.exe:

Captura de pantalla 2014-03-15 a las 09.44.32.png

I tried re-installing, disabling the hi-res patch but haven't got any results:puppy-dog:

Last edited:
Been trying to get this to work some more(to fix the issue where Den loads as a black, empty map). [...]

I finally figured it out, I think. The solution was basically posted in the thread for a previous version of the project: http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthre...l-Expansion)&p=3954733&viewfull=1#post3954733
where rawrd tells us:
FINAL UPDATE: This is true, that it is ABSOLUTELY necessary to keep Proto contents of Fallout Restoration Project READ ONLY.

If its not set, the game will go on and DELETE the TILES as it sees necessary.

In Fallout 2/data/Proto, there are 8 folders. By default, all the files in those folders have read and write privileges. What I did was set them all to "read only" (only for user "Me") and lock them. It is very important to also lock them because otherwise, all privileges will somehow revert to "read and write" after you open and quit the game.

So far, it works perfectly for me.

(also had a special encounter 'angry outcasts' that briefly popped up before exiting to the world map)
That encounter would do the same thing to me while I had the Proto files at "read and write". Now it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back