Fallout 2 mod Fallout 2 Restoration Project Discussion (ideas/suggestions)

@ Atomkilla (also Killap :notworthy: and Pixote :look:)

The THEM! encounter would be similar to a random encounter that includes a cave. You can enter those caves, which may be empty or populated by someone/something. Usually those caves disappear when you leave the random encounter via the exit grid. As a special encounter, the giant ant colony would become a fixed location on the world map like the other special encounters.

I have already built a new special encounter for the RP - The Planet of the Apes homage. But I think the propriety for Killap is to squash the bugs, and iron out any wrinkles before considering any "extras"...personally I think the special encounters are a little over the top - removing half of them wouldn't hurt the game, but that's just me...and yeah the hot chick is waiting in the cave. :wink:

linda-harrison-pota.jpg

liberty.gif

@ Pixote :look:

Some of the special encounters currently in the game are over the top. As much as I love Star Trek and Monty Python :notworthy:, they did not exactly spring from the 1950's. Having special encounters that pay homage to 1950's sci fi would help take Fallout 2 back to it's roots. I don't think it would go against the original dev's intentions and they certainly don't change the game. All I can do is pitch the idea and hope! :D

Oh, love the pics, especially Nova! The POTA idea is great. Even though it's from 1968, it's still post apocalyptic. Perfect!

Edit: How did the Statue of Liberty get into the California wasteland? Maybe it's on the site of a theme park, like the New York New York hotel in Las Vegas.

@ Richwizard

Yeah, you're rigth, I forgot it would stay as a fixed location afterwards. Stupid me.

@ Pixote

Looks really awesome.

And now something completely different:

I think the "Find out who is rustling the brahmin" quest in Klamath should be able to be solved without the radscorpion limbs, as if they are missed once you cannot finish the quest. The Duntons already have a locked room with a bookshelf, maybe a ledger of some sorts could be placed there, so showing it would solve the guest (along with the marks and the brahmin of course).

I have built a new version of Lenny - a slightly more reddish, fleshy version. This Ghoul critter is a one off for Lenny, which means no other critter will use his new crispy sausage look. The only drawback is the new Lenny uses the rifle instead of the pistol animation...to me that's a small change - since rifles are generally better; and his doesn't have a run animation, but hey the dude is a smelly Ghoul, and they shouldn't be able to run anyway.

Now does anyone want this for the RP (Killap!) - or will I keep it for myself. :look: He will need his statements changed to match his new weapon ability.

Red Old - Blue New.

newlenny.gif

PS - Personaly I hate the Fallout 2 Ghouls - they look crappy.

I don't like the 'white' ghoul look much either and for an NPC in the party to have a unique look is sweet, good job! He's a more important character than the regular ghouls so it's nice to distinguish him from them.

Using rifles instead of pistols is a buff. Lenny's combat settings kind of suck, but with rifles I think he'd be a bit less terrible at trying to hit stuff at a long range (stay where you are/stay close to me). I don't mind much, I always liked the guy as he has nice HP and isn't usually the first to die causing me to reload, and it's not like F2's combat is perfectly balanced anyway.

Also ghouls are the old geezers of the Fallout world: for a 'kids git off my lawn!' -type of scenario a rifle or shotgun fits the image better than a pistol.

Great work, as always Pixote !

I would be glad to play with this new Lenny, if he could make it to the
RP.

--
Aguirre

I just wanted to name some features I'd LOVE in a new RP release:

-Red head girl

-Black guy

-I guess red Lenny is pretty cool too

-Improved San Francisco

-Adjusted ammo amounts (Some weapons like weapons that use 7.62 have extremely hard to find ammo, which makes these weapons impractical)

- The new talking heads from the TH thread (they look pretty good!) with voice acting (I doubt that will ever get done actually, but it would make the game so much better)

Your mod has did so much right so far, and there are very few bugs in it, it makes Fallout 2 amazing. I just hope you continue making it better (it's possible)

Also you need to include this guy in the project somehow, he was originally made for the game by the developers so I think he qualifies completely for restoration.

album_pic.php
album_pic.php

Also, is it possible to show the armor changing on the party member control screen when you choose "use best armor" or does the engine only support showing weapon change? That's always kind of annoyed me.

I have an idea about soemting I thought for years needed changing

when in broken hills you find out that francis the mutant killed all those humans to frame jakob.

Even though you find out the truth you dont have adialog option of telling the full truth to markus.
after you told him he even says to himself "looks like ffrnacis was right baiout murderous jacok" .

in other words frnacis murderous plan worked out!

The player should be bale to tell markus: that a) frnacis killed those people ( including women) and b) in order to frame jakob.

as a result markus should francis in jail or maybe he will need your help subduing him and oyu get to kill the murdere that way.
but as a minimum since u found out the truth he should not hink jacok did these things and maybe evn release him form jail after putting frnacis in.:)

otherwise this qeast makes no sense and it hasnt in all thiose years.
Even tho I like markus a lot maybe if you dont pass a speech check t get him to arrest marlkus as a result , you could even lead a revolt of the humans against the mutants in town when he refuses to adress the crime and doesnt want to arrest francis

after seeing the wrong people in jail i sometimes want to bust them out and if it means killing all the miutants even markus so be it.
i half expect when i go back to that husband of the killed woman he will ask me for a gun and go search for francis in the wastes and maybe you find a clue where he is..
maybe he works as a bodyguard for the salvatores now or something
and when you kill him and come back to BH they make you honorary sherriff....

Would the RP be happier if McClure in Vault city was made to look older, like the Overseer from Fallout 1. Removing the number 13 isn't the problem, it's the death sequence...the Overseers death is a bit too epic, but then how many people actually go around killing everyone in Vault City. I could reduce the frames, so he doesn't try to crawl away after he is shot...I can only place him in the game and test.

029nmovr2aa020000b.png
z4TS0.gif

.Pixote. said:
Would the RP be happier if McClure in Vault city was made to look older, like the Overseer from Fallout 1. Removing the number 13 isn't the problem, it's the death sequence...the Overseers death is a bit too epic, but then how many people actually go around killing everyone in Vault City. I could reduce the frames, so he doesn't try to crawl away after he is shot...I can only place him in the game and test.

nmovr2aa020000b.png
eiMkS.gif
I'm a fan of all your work pixote, and i'm all for changes that clearly improve the game, even though there is no evidence that the developers wanted it. Good work on Lenny btw :D

But on this, I vote no. He should look older, yes, but if it is needed to shorten his death animation for that to happen then no. Or please make it unselectable at install. It's a unique (?) animation and in my opinion, nothing in this project should *remove* content.

Just my 2 cents :)

I could give the normal Vault Dweller character gray hair, at least there would be some sense that this character is older, and still keep all of the critters animations... :mrgreen:

.Pixote. said:
I could give the normal Vault Dweller character gray hair, at least there would be some sense that this character is older, and still keep all of the critters animations... :mrgreen:

I vote on this option, because the overseer is an unique critter that's used in fallout 1, and it's death animation wouldn't make sense if you killed him with let's say flamer or plasma rifle :)

.Pixote. said:
I have already built a new special encounter for the RP - The Planet of the Apes homage. But I think the propriety for Killap is to squash the bugs, and iron out any wrinkles before considering any "extras"...personally I think the special encounters are a little over the top - removing half of them wouldn't hurt the game, but that's just me...and yeah the hot chick is waiting in the cave. :wink:

[spoiler:3d9d1d0998]
linda-harrison-pota.jpg

liberty.gif
[/spoiler:3d9d1d0998]
I love it, Pixote! And not only because I like the PoA theme, but also because your work looks GORGEOUS!

Regarding Fallout 2 Special Encounters, you see, I'm of the opinion that yes, they somewhat ruin its seriousness and genearl post-apocalyptic mood, especially evident from having the referent of Fallout 1, but I've grown to accept them as inherent parts of the game. So, if they are part of the game, why not expand it in that path? ;-)

Now, speaking of custom special encounters, some time ago I came up with an idea about what could be a funny one:
[spoiler:3d9d1d0998]You would find something like this:

FalloutSpecialEncounter.png

...while the Dialogue Window would read something like: "You've found the remains of what appear to be four small racoon-like creatures, which seem to have suffered an absolute and irreversible death. For some reason, you experiment a great sense of relief by just watching that scene."

And also, just like many of the special encounters awards you with a special prize, I've thought that maybe from this one you could get an unique, improved spear; one which would deal more damage and cost less AP to thrust/throw, making it an actual weapon choice for those spear-inclined, just like the Super-Sledge, Little Jesus and Louisville Slugger are the top of their respective weapon type. The spear could borrow its design for the inventory image from the one in this image[/spoiler:3d9d1d0998]

Well... just throwind out some ideas. Have a nice day you all.

It kind of bothers me that during the Primitive Tribe's stimpack trading quest, you can determine that the stims are just brahmin blood and the trader's brahmin is described as weak, but you can't call the trader on his lie when he says he didn't make the stims. I want extra xp for putting two and two together. Some extra karma when killing him for great justice after finding the evidence,as opposed to doing it vengefully just because of a hunch, would also be nice. Maybe make the brahmin's weakness be discoverable by a Perception check, First Aid/Doctor check, or having awareness (maybe Lean On The Fourth Wall by having the Chosen One explicitly mention missing hps). As an added bonus, an evil character could tell the trader that he won't expose the deception in exchange for a cut of the profits, or even bluff his way through that option just to get a confession without knowing about the sham in the first place.

Back