Fallout 2 mod Fallout 2: Weapons Redone v2.3

I can assure you Riel that a change in the way some weapons look would make the experience better.

The moment I have seen some Fallout Tactics weapons I had the same feeling yet after playing with the new graphics and sounds everything started feeling more realistic and in place.

Just look at that damn M60. It really has no trigger. How can you use a weapon without a trigger? Or the XL70E3. Juts look at all the little details which make it resemble the Enfield SA-80 L85A1.

sa80-7d31a.jpg

Xl70e3_enfield.gif

My goal in editing weapons would be making them more realistic instead of balanced.

Hihi, too be honest I really like the m60 art.
I totally understand what you mean looking at it from your viewing point but for some reason I just digg the old graphics.

I did however some years ago played with a graphics mod that changed all the graphics of the guns, it did indeed felt different.
It was cool playing with them but I think im just getting old & love what i know best.

The original art is just 1 of the pieces thats fits the fallout puzzle.
But if you finish your graphic mod I will give it try... I mean why not.

What would interest me more is a sound mod, but the mod should keep the old sounds & only add new ones. So instead of hearing the same sound every shot or impact things should mix up for more diversity.
That weapon mod i used couple years ago did exactly that & it was epic.

Bye !

I'd say keep the old M60 art (just add a trigger), but replace the XL70E3. The art for the second one is indeed bad, like a smurf-gun.

I kindly request this topic be moved to another thread. All of the original weapon art looks superb in my opinion, I see no reason why it should be changed. It's like "Hey, the Highwayman SUCKS, I'm gonna replace it with a Prius!". Make your own weapons mod that's super realistic, so people who want realism can choose that one instead of mine!

Ravager said:
I can assure you Riel that a change in the way some weapons look would make the experience better.

Maybe Ravager you could put a new thread together discussing the weapon art, new designs, old designs, etc, and let Magnus focus on the numbers in regards to weapon damage, AP, etc in this thread, because they are quite separate issues. Ultimately the art is just pictures, but everyone will agree they do play a critical role in the feel and enjoyment of the game. There is bound to be some passionate discussion by the NMA community.

Like much of what I see.

*Side Note* I am using Vista and in order to get this thing to install properly using the installer I had to log in using the hidden administrator account (since merely using the "Run as administrator" option failed miserably), but once I did no problem.

Interestingly enough while running Restoration 2.0 no weapon mod Jordan in Arroyo worked just fine, but now having added the weapon mod he keeps shining me on. "Good luck chosen" or some crap without even entering into dialog options (you know the floating text). Any ideas why this is?

Edit Again: In order to get Jordan to work properly hunting grounds had nothing to do with it. It was using F2SE to modify my melee skill that did it (just repeated it with another character just to test)

GWT

There are some bugged critters in the current version. Technically, the tool I used occasionally seemed to store hex values in little-endian format after offset 128, meaning plasma/electric/explosive resistances in some critters has gone haywire. I suspect this is a result of opening the proto files in text mode rather than binary. I'm currently coding a more advanced algorithm for editing critter protos, so v2.2 will have all base, Megamod and Killap critters updated, and will probably be released a short while after Killap gets his 2.1 rolling. Stay safe now.

I noticed that the Super Sledge appears to be kind of weak:

Mega Power Fist / 26-40 / 3 / no longer Penetrate

Super Sledge / 34-42 / 5 / Knockback

The sledge appears to be useless in comparison. With bonus HtH attacks the AP cost is twice that of the Fist, and knockback is more a detriment than it is an advantage IMO. With the 5 bonus melee damage from ST10(=power armour), maybe another 5 from Anatomy and possible Heavy Handed bonuses and whatnot that 5 point average damage difference there is between the fist and the sledge becomes even more meaningless. Now I'm not sure what your intentions are but if you still want to keep the Sledge a viable end-game weapon for close combat chars I'd say increase the damage a bunch. It might be a good idea to still keep it's AP cost high to distinguish different weapon choices.

But you know what. While writing this post I realized something. It might be a good idea to keep the Mega Power Fist superior to all Melee weapons. There are more Melee weapons throughout the game, some of them have Penetrate and the weapon progression throughout the game is steadier if you concentrate on the Melee skill than if you go by Spiked Knuckles->Power Fist->Mega Power Fist.

Making the ultimate close combat weapon an Unarmed skill weapon would force a choice unto a char concentrating in Melee, whether to spend points in Unarmed as well. This would be somewhat similar to how characters using guns can go through the game with Small Guns and a Gauss Rifle but a Vindicator just might be even more powerful.

So, uh, keep the sledge the same. Maybe give a bit more damage as I think it still sucks compared to, say, Ripper which is has lower AP cost and Penetrate. Food for thought.

Overall I think your changes are very nice. Good job.

People have said this before, I've given it some thought too. I guess the Super Sledge has always been useless, but somehow I always use it myself and put the Fist on Sulik. Then again, I'm more of a roleplayer than a munchkin. It could probably do with a bit more damage, I just don't want to overdo it. 35-45 is a likely candidate.

I've also thought about removing the Ripper's Penetrate, since a chainsaw doesn't really penetrate anything metal-ish (please don't mention Die Hard), and you can use a Wakizashi if you need penetration. Or maybe I should reduce the Wakizashi's AP cost to 3, so you can choose to be a Ninja with a Wakizashi, a normal Dude with a Ripper or an Ogre with a Super Sledge, fun for role players. Or maybe I'll do something completely different.

Time to go update the ToDo list...

for the Ripper, you could do kind of like me.

in my tweaks, i made the Ripper into a more accurate weapon.

the theory is that deflecting a chainsaw isn't simply a matter of blocking the weapon. i'm using the same theory with the Power Fist.

Hi, I installed this mod with the original *BAAANG* sound for 14mm/.223 hand cannons.
How can I revert this sound back to the original FO2 sound ?

In the mod's installation files there should be a folder called Sound, with some sound files in it. Look for a similar folder in your FO2 installation and remove those files. Do not touch the one called SNDLIST.LST. I haven't done this myself, so you might want to just remove those files from the sound folder and test it, rather than deleting them. Hopefully it will work, otherwise you may have to do a reinstall of FO2.

And hey, what's with the wacky colors on the flag?

So, does this mod mean that the Salvatores are actually challenging now and can't be taken down with nothing but metal armor and an automatic weapon?

And also, are molotovs going to be more plentiful now? I love the idea that grenades are more damaging. But... Are other humanoid critters going to be using them? I remember in vanilla Fallout 2 the only people who used grenades were bounty hunters.

The Salvatores are now properly scary. They get two shots a turn and leave big, smoking holes in people. With Metal Armor Mk. II or Power Armor you won't hurt so much, but those aren't very easy to get.

Neither grenades nor molotovs are any more plentiful, but they seriously hurt now, and the mod already makes the game more difficult, so adding them to random encounter mobs might make it REALLY difficult. In the next version I'll try to give enemies who already have grenades the ability to use them, the raiders in Vault 15 come to mind.

I never realized that those guys weren’t capable of using hand grenades…should make an interesting encounter in Vault 15…good work Magnus.

Tagaziel said:
Magnus said:
Remember, the current longest-range kill wasn't done with a Barrett, but with this, a regular sniper rifle.

Actually, the TAC-50 also uses the .50 BMG round as the Barret, just in a slightly more conventional layout and probably a bit more accurate. However it doesnt have the current record (almost 2500meters). That is held by the AI L115A3.

In any case though, even standard 7.62 sniper rifles are capable of ranges in excess of 800 meters.
What range have you reduced the game sniper rifle to?

>>Edit - Sorry, I just noticed I responded to a very old post. Please ignore if this has already been dealt with.

First off, thank you for releasing weapon's mod that makes this game more challenging and fun! Also, is this mod going to be available to install within the installer list of Killap's restoration patch?

And I do personally think Molotov's should be more plentiful among the other NPC's. It only makes sense, especially in a post apocalyptic world like fallout. I mean, it's such a simple and logical thing to do against an enemy on a strapped budget!

Hi. Just installed your mod, and now i cannot save. Help is appreciated.

I have the RP mod ver. 2.0.e installed.

Edit: did a fresh install of the game, everything is working fine now.

The mod is good, but there is a big con... Buster no longer carries light support weapons. this is annoying because i bought like a thousand rounds of .223 ammo and no LSG :( .

I am wondering if my version of Fallout 2 with latest versions of the restoration mod and this one is bugged. I am having a hard time killing most thing early in the game. I have to aim for the head to do any damage on critters and npcs. For example the boss rat in the den ,the golden geckos in the toxic caves, the guards of the church in the den. It may be because of the armor changes. Also near New Reno i get lots of random encounters with aliens and floaters. I don't remember there being those monsters around that area. Anyway, if anyone could tell me if my game is bugged or this is usual I would much appreciate it.

Back