Fallout 3: Are you getting it?

i'm going to get it (i didn't say BUY) and then use a Sharpie marker to draw all over the screen with what i want to be in the game instead of what ends up being there.

kinda like a disguise mustache but kinda different.

TwinkieGorilla said:
i'm going to get it (i didn't say BUY) and then use a Sharpie marker to draw all over the screen with what i want to be in the game instead of what ends up being there.

Sharpie h4x, badass!

I was thinking about making some goofy custom stickers and doing some guerilla anti-marketing on release date :P

like a sticker that says "A Post-Nuclear Paperweight" and cruise gamestops slapping it on under "Fallout 3"

Or a picture of the Todd's face with a word bubble that says "Durf!" and plop it on over the power armor guys helmet on the box.

I amuse mehself :)

Snackpack said:
TwinkieGorilla said:

Sharpie h4x, badass!

I was thinking about making some goofy custom stickers and doing some guerilla anti-marketing on release date :P

like a sticker that says "A Post-Nuclear Paperweight" and cruise gamestops slapping it on under "Fallout 3"

Or a picture of the Todd's face with a word bubble that says "Durf!" and plop it on over the power armor guys helmet on the box.

I amuse mehself :)
Win.

i was cought in the moment when the preorder thingies appeared. After a week that passed, and as im from Europe .. no preorder was possible/ and none will be made

Not going to buy it, and DEFINITELY not going to be influenced by reviews. Essentially because all the inevitable 10s, or 5s, or whatever, all the Game of the Year awards.... all that stuff will be equivalent to the good reviews Oblivion got after the first few months of its release.

Meaning- can't be trusted, and probably hiding a buggy, sad-sack game.

Though I'm hoping to write a review from a borrowed copy for the newspaper where I work.

Per said:
Pointless thread is pointless. New question: how many here will not have their decision whether to buy the game influenced by reviews, gaming media or otherwise?

You guise destroyed my faith in the objectivity of mainstream gaming journalists, so that won't be a factor for me. If the people here and in the Codex will give reviews that state the game is decent, regardless of not being true to it's ancestors, i might come around and get it. But it's a long shot.

Even if the game turns out to be very good, i don't know if Bethesda deserved my monies for all the shit i (we) had to put up with, coming from them.

sadly, i am VERY disillusioned right now. THANK YOU PER. i totally forgot the very well written review of oblivion. which contained what one can best describe as the most objective approach towards truth there was in a review of oblivion.

so, basically, it boils down to this: the energy which fuels todd howard stems from a lot of corpses rotating in their graves, respectively the corpses of:

- free choices that actually effect yor gameplay,
- a combat system where your PC may suck if he is, say, a barter/gambling/speech character
- the hint of challenge - it may sound outrageous, but there are actually SMART people out there, and they buy games, too!
- references, NOT plagiarism
- immersion - if i want to do the same thing OVER AND OVER, i just go... to work!

i was a bit confused when an "article" "stated" that todd howard was called "genius" by his coworkers. asking freshly recruited "co-workers" could be an explanation for this bold statement. otoh, i just recalled how a generic company livestock looks like, and the one-eyed man gave me a wink.

[ /rant]

I just pre-ordered the special edition (The survival edition isn't available down here, which pissed me off) because it's coming out near my birthday, and I said 'why not?'. Anyway, I assume it can't be that bad. I'm waiting till the reviews come out before I can make a decision, also so I can see the game play and it's features. I honestly don't give a flying fuck about the reviewers opinion.

I have mixed feelings about buying it.

One one hand, I can't wait to play FO3 because of the setting but on the other..

I hated Morrowind and gave it to a friend after spending only about a hour playing it and had to force myself to do that.

I think I might just wait for a used copy to come up on ebay really cheap.

As much as I want to play another fallout game, I find myself unable to enjoy 1st person games.

Sarla said:
One one hand, I can't wait to play FO3 because of the setting but on the other..

Well... besides that fact that Bethsoft's *saying* that it's in the Fallout universe, and that they've basically ret-conned all the major groups from FO 1/2 into the game (inexplicably placing them all across the frickin' continent) the setting isn't really the same.

Well, besides the Vault and the PipBoy. That stuff looks pretty damn good.

I hated Morrowind and gave it to a friend after spending only about a hour playing it and had to force myself to do that.

Same here! That was pretty much the most boring Rougelike I've ever played. It almost made me totally lose faith in the Roguelike genre.... Thankfully, I've still got Thief 1 and 2, so that took care of that.

As much as I want to play another fallout game, I find myself unable to enjoy 1st person games.

I definitely don't want to tell you want to do with your time/money, but I'd say it's a good idea to not want "another Fallout game," because that's what Brotherhood of Steel was. And we all know the clusterfuck that turned out to be.

Anyway.... I'd recommend you keep your $50, or whatever it's going to be.... maybe rent it. I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's probably going to be beatable in a week, if you seriously put some effort into it.

Assuming that you don't give up, like with Morrowind.... I've heard Oblivion is even worse, and FO3's supposed to be Oblivion with Guns ("but in a good way," the Bethsoft hype machine adds surreptitiously.)

I'm definitely getting it.

Even though I thought Oblivion was basically a piece of crap, I think it might work better with ranged combat, proper dialogue, and thought out design. Not having enemies scale to your level will also help it from a game point of view.

From the setting perspective; I'm sure some things will be inconsistent with the original fallout games (who themselves were internally inconsistent), but that's always going to happen when there's been such a long time since the last game.

It might turn out bad, but I think it might also turn out great.

I read a lot of gripes on these forums(almost nothing but gripes), mainly because people are resisting any kind of change. A lot of time has passed since fallout 2 was released, and a lot of things have changed.

For one, video games used to be able to slip under the radar with their content, but now they're being intensely scrutinized by people with political agendas. Self-censorship(as with no child killing etc) is always a bad thing; but getting an AO rating, and possible bans in many parts of the world, would effectively kill the game.

Secondly, a turn-based isometric game probably won't sell enough to justify the development costs in this day and age. I think a real-time 'pausable' interface with an option to watch first person or from an isometric perspective (at least I've seen shots from an isometric view, I hope it made it in) is just fine. Diablo 3 will sell oodles while retaining its old format, but you can't compare fallout to diablo either financially or game-wise

FO3 will not be FO or FO2, but that doesn't mean it won't be a good game, and do justice to the fallout name. Of course, that the box says Fallout doesn't mean it will be any good either. From where I'm standing, I haven't seen enough information to tell me that it will be bad, just that it wil be different, and I saw that as a given when it was announced.

So, again, I'm buying it, because I think it *might* be good, and I'm willing to give a Fallout game the benefit of the doubt (Unless we're talking about BoS, you could actually tell that it was bad from orbit)

Don't you think that folks that waited 10 years for a true Fallout-like game wouldn't buy a true Fallout-like game without a second thought? Do you think that not appealing to 12 years old and less audience would make the company bankrupt (sure, they wouldn't earn THAT much money, but I think the game would make a really nice profit)? Don't you think that only because something was used a couple of years age means it's outdated and CAN'T be successfully used in a modern game? Don't you think that butchering an old and respected series just to make more cash isn't fair?

Think about it.

Is fallout-like "isometric turn-based" or "open-ended postapocalyptic RPG with dark humour"? Because I'd gladly give up the former as long as the latter is well-executed. The feeling of playing fallout far exceeds any mechanics, which is a testament to how seriously good those games were. I spent more time playing FO2 than I could even begin to tally.

I seriously doubt it's aimed at 12-year-olds and younger since it's intended to be rated M.

I'm pretty sure that if everyone who bought the original Fallout games and are still playing games bought FO3, it wouldn't make enough money to cover development. Costs in the industry have gone up, a *lot*. I don't see why it can't be both updated for a new era of gaming *and* retain the spirit of the original.

I haven't seen anything yet that amounts to "butchering" Fallout. (although the portably nuke launcher is pretty cheesy, and if robotic horses are anything else than a easter-egg that would really suck)

True Fallout-like game is both - isometric, turnbased game with an open-ended postapocalyptic world full of irony and sarcasm. Take one and the game isn't whole. Besides, IMO Fallout is not so much about being postapocalyptic - it could be fantasy game with elves and orcs as well and still be as cool - but this particular setting was a fresh breeze to the RPG genre. What Fallout really is about is the brilliantly simulated pen and paper experience - the turnbased combat, isometric view, skill panel and character sheet - it's all stylised for a pen-and-paper adventure. Furthermore, it's there for a *purpose*, not due to technological limitations - the original devs said that this is what they wanted to accomplish.

You see - putting in shiny graphics and diffrent (easier and faster) combat mechanics does not mean updating\making the game better - it's only adjusting to the widest audience - selling out in other words. Don't tell me they don't do that - if you change something so much from the original only to make it sell better, you are selling out. And it's not even their own work they're butchering (yes butchering. Completly diffrent game mechanics, no child-killing + unkillable NPC's, chivalric BoS, Isengard Mutants, radiation-zapping ghouls - this is not Fallout)

I'm almost 100% sure that a Fallout 3 with the same mechanics and new graphics would sell good enough to cover development, bring at least some profit AND make a good name for the company.

Why do I think they aim at 12 year old kids? Everyone above this age could handle Fallout and apprieciate it for what it is.

I get so very very tired of people who don't even attempt to read the forums and then claim that they know all the gripes we have.

Quit the false dichotomies. Just because Fallout was an RPG, doesn't mean it wasn't also an isometric, turn-based game. Both are essential parts of the core design, being an emulation of the pen&paper roleplaying experience.

Anyway, there is no fact that isometric, turn-based games don't sell enough. In fact, I'm pretty sure that all of the Civilization games, you know the ones that win multiple awards every time a new sequel comes out, prove you dead wrong.
"But wait, that's a different genre"
Ehm, so? It shows that people *aren't* too stupid or too into fast-paced action to get

Furthermore, suppose that isometric, turn-based games don't sell enough to cover the costs. Then why, exactly, did Bethesda decide to spend several million dollars on a franchise of which they are not even going to use the gameplay? They could've just made their own post-apocalyptic game that doesn't feature any of Fallout's own features.

The people attracted to the Fallout brand instead of the Bethesda brand won't cover anywhere near those costs, hell a lot of them (as you can see on this forum) absolutely loathe what Bethesda is doing with the Fallout brand.

And no, 'there are other people outside this forum' doesn't count. Sure, there are people who will like both Fallout and Fallout 3. But considering the fact that there are no fansites whatsoever about that, perhaps they don't make up a large part of the Fallout fanbase.

Lastly, what the fuck do we care if Bethesda makes enough money off of Fallout 3? That won't make the game any more enjoyable for us.

In regards to your first paragraph - we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I believe the setting and atmosphere and such is more important than turn-based or not. I guess it's pen and paper-related in my case a well - I believe that any good roleplaying setting works equally well regardless if you're using D&D, GURPS, Rolemaster or a freeform system. The holy grail in emulating pen and paper roleplaying is not in getting the gritty details of a system - it is in allowing freedom to play the character you want in a compelling world.

Why then did Fallout use graphics at all? A text interface could feasibly reach the same goal. Making the graphics prettier isn't a result of dumbing down - it's a direct result of technology improving. In regards to the combat mechanics, I would also prefer turn-based, but pausable RT where you can queue up attacks allows me the same control, and relief from twitch-gaming (provided it's implemented as an actual way to do all combat and not just a novelty).

The other elements you bring up as butchering:
Child-killing: If the original FO didn't have killable children, it would still be a brilliant game. It's great that you could do it; but if it wasn't possible, I would have shrugged it off and paid no attention
Unkillable NPCs: Yes, it's lame, but if done sparingly it could work. Some others have brought up Horrigan from FO2, which is a good precedent in that sometimes you want to be able to show off an important character early without completely destroying the plot. Preferably, I'd see that it was handled at least slightly better though, for example that the character escapes in some manner instead of just not dying.
Chivalric BoS: I can definitely see it happening over a few generations, to at least some degree. If not because traditions are formed, but as a way to create mystique to control others. Think Bene Gesserit from Dune here.
Isengard Mutants: I think that's just fear-mongering. The super-mutants in previous games were mostly aggressive attack-on-sight mobs as well. It's been stated that there are mutants you can communicate with and even befriend
Radiation-Zapping ghouls: I see this as a part of the radiation mechanic. As I understood it, they would so much use radiation "laser" beams as they would be radioactive, and prolonged exposure could raise your radiation levels. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I am 100% sure that I would buy a Fallout 3 with the same mechanics and new graphics. I'm also pretty sure I would prefer it to what Bethesda are doing right now. Furthermore, I think that I will enjoy this version of Fallout 3 as well.

It's a bit like beer; just because it's not a Duvel it doesn't mean it's a Miller Light.

If people want to play Fallout or Fallout 2, there's a great solution: Fallout and Fallout 2. (Even though I wish there would be graphically updated versions of them. The games are still just as great, but after 10 years one's eyes get used to better resolution and whatnot.)

Zembar said:
In regards to your first paragraph - we're just going to have to agree to disagree.
Well, we could, but then you'd be ignoring what the actual developers of the game have said.
Zembar said:
I believe the setting and atmosphere and such is more important than turn-based or not. I guess it's pen and paper-related in my case a well - I believe that any good roleplaying setting works equally well regardless if you're using D&D, GURPS, Rolemaster or a freeform system. The holy grail in emulating pen and paper roleplaying is not in getting the gritty details of a system - it is in allowing freedom to play the character you want in a compelling world.
No, that's the 'holy grail' in roleplaying. However, what the Fallout team attempted to do wasn't to bring that experience to the PC, they attempted to bring the experience of playing a pen&paper game (a GURPS game specifically) to the PC. Remember, it started out as a GURPS game as well.

Why then did Fallout use graphics at all? A text interface could feasibly reach the same goal. Making the graphics prettier isn't a result of dumbing down - it's a direct result of technology improving.
Pen&paper gamers often use miniatures.
And ehm, besides that, who said anything about it being a shame that the graphical quality gets better? No one's complaining about that.

In regards to the combat mechanics, I would also prefer turn-based, but pausable RT where you can queue up attacks allows me the same control, and relief from twitch-gaming (provided it's implemented as an actual way to do all combat and not just a novelty).
Actually, this is not what Fallout 3 is going to let you do either. All it's going to let you do is queue aimed shots. Everything else is in real-time. So everything in combat, including moving, reloading and whatnot does not fall under paused RT.
The other elements you bring up as butchering:
Child-killing: If the original FO didn't have killable children, it would still be a brilliant game. It's great that you could do it; but if it wasn't possible, I would have shrugged it off and paid no attention
Unkillable NPCs: Yes, it's lame, but if done sparingly it could work. Some others have brought up Horrigan from FO2, which is a good precedent in that sometimes you want to be able to show off an important character early without completely destroying the plot. Preferably, I'd see that it was handled at least slightly better though, for example that the character escapes in some manner instead of just not dying.
Chivalric BoS: I can definitely see it happening over a few generations, to at least some degree. If not because traditions are formed, but as a way to create mystique to control others. Think Bene Gesserit from Dune here.
Just because it's possible doesn't mean it fits the setting.

Isengard Mutants: I think that's just fear-mongering. The super-mutants in previous games were mostly aggressive attack-on-sight mobs as well. It's been stated that there are mutants you can communicate with and even befriend
Ehm, Isengard Mutants refers to the look of the Mutants, not their hostile intents.
Radiation-Zapping ghouls: I see this as a part of the radiation mechanic. As I understood it, they would so much use radiation "laser" beams as they would be radioactive, and prolonged exposure could raise your radiation levels. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
No, the ghouls have a zap-attack. Full-stop.

If people want to play Fallout or Fallout 2, there's a great solution: Fallout and Fallout 2. (Even though I wish there would be graphically updated versions of them. The games are still just as great, but after 10 years one's eyes get used to better resolution and whatnot.)
'Hey, there's a game out there that does what you want, why don't you stop wanting anything new and just play that game for thousands of years'

I'm not saying I know all the gripes, no. I just think there's very little information to gripe about.
If given a certain quantity of information, there's only so much to gripe about. The gripes about things there is no information about are therefore either about things inferred, or about the general direction things seem to be going.
It's hard for me to take those gripes in complete seriousness, as it often degrades into "Well, it's bethesda, and must therefore suck" or something like that. I personally place more weight in well thought out arguments than in off-hand dismissals.

Comparing Civ and Fallout is apples and oranges, to the same degree that comparing Fallout and Diablo is.
I also got the impression that FO3 is playable from an isometric perspective; indeed, if it was purely first-person, I'd probably be a lot less interested in the game than I am. I prefer turn-based to real-time, but the VATS system lets me play it close enough to turn-based anyway(unless I've got it all wrong, which has been known to happen)

I'm not saying we care if Bethesda make enough money, but it's daft to think that any non-fan-made game would be made unless it was economically feasible to make it.

Also, a Fallout game that sells well increases the chances of us ever seeing another Fallout game. And if nobody cares whether more fallout games are made, why even argue about this game instead of just replaying FO and FO2?

As to Bethesda's motivation behind doing a fallout game? Maybe they just wanted to see another Fallout game get made and nobody else was doing it.
There is an inconsistency in saying "they're just making the Fallout game to make lots of cash" and saying "They don't need to make a Fallout game, they'd sell just as much doing something else", don't you agree?

Back