Fallout 3 at PAX: Heroine Sheik and The Exploding Barrel

Tannhauser

Venerable Relic of the Wastes
Orderite
The Exploding Barrel has had their own hands-on experience with Fallout 3 at PAX, this is what they have to relate:<blockquote>There were a couple things about the game that bothered me, however. Hit detection seemed somewhat spotty. For instance, when I swung a bat at the merchant’s face, the bat sort of clipped through the guy’s face. Another thing that irked me was that the game’s combat lacked a sense of realism. In order to cripple the merchant as he ran away from me, I had to shoot him at least ten times in the leg. One other thing that bugged me is that the game’s third person view just does not look very good. Sure it’s pretty cool to be able to see the new armor and clothing you obtain as the game progresses, but the character models look so bland in comparison to the amazing looking environments.

These flaws didn’t really mar the experience at all, but they were still incredibly noticeable. I’m assuming I was playing an early version and that a lot of these issues will get polished before the game’s release in October.</blockquote>Also according to The Exploding Barrel, the official Fallout 3 presentation at PAX was having to turn away people:<blockquote>Despite Fallout 3 being more or less the premier showpiece for PAX, hundreds of gamers were turned away from the Bethesda presentation with little more than a half-hearted apology and a Fallout cardboard decoration to console our broken hearts. While I got a chance to play the Fallout 3 demo earlier today, I really wanted to go to the presentation.</blockquote>Heroine Sheik also attended PAX, but seems to a bit confused about Fallout.<blockquote>It’s pretty obvious the game is ripping off Bioshock. Send me hate mail if you must, but first let’s look at the comparison. Bioshock was a shooter with RPG elements that took place in a post-apocalyptic dystopia. Fallout 3 is, yeah, just that. Bioshock achieved stunning visuals and environments by juxtaposing desolation and destruction with a campy, retro aesthetic in its posters, radio broadcasts, and items around the city of Rapture. Fallout 3… Well have you seen vault boy? (We’re not even getting into the nit-picky, interesting comparisons, like how Bioshock’s world is defined by having too much water, while the Fallout 3 landscape seems defined by its lack.)</blockquote>Links:
Live From PAX ‘08 - Fallout 3 Hands-On Impressions
Live From PAX ‘08: Fallout 3 Falls Out of PAX
PAX08: How Fallout 3 rips off Bioshock (and why that’s ok)

Thanks to Fallout 3: APNB.

Heroine Sheik said:
It’s pretty obvious the game is ripping off Bioshock. Send me hate mail if you must, but first let’s look at the comparison. Bioshock was a shooter with RPG elements that took place in a post-apocalyptic dystopia.

Since when was Bioshock a RPG? You got the basic Zelda/Metal Gear rewards for walking around.....WTF?

I am gonna go ahead and disagree with this person.

As for the rest. Standard clipping issues and what not every games has. I just wanna know If I'm going to fall through the map like Driver 2.

Heroine Sheik should shut up the fuck, they must. That paragraph alone pissed me off (and I like Bioshock).

It’s pretty obvious the game is ripping off Bioshock. Send me hate mail if you must, but first let’s look at the comparison. Bioshock was a shooter with RPG elements that took place in a post-apocalyptic dystopia. Fallout 3 is, yeah, just that. Bioshock achieved stunning visuals and environments by juxtaposing desolation and destruction with a campy, retro aesthetic in its posters, radio broadcasts, and items around the city of Rapture. Fallout 3… Well have you seen vault boy? (We’re not even getting into the nit-picky, interesting comparisons, like how Bioshock’s world is defined by having too much water, while the Fallout 3 landscape seems defined by its lack.)

Who is this joker?

Go play the two first games, man. Fallout comes BEFORE Bioshock. Are all gaming journalists this dense?

Tannhauser said:
Heroine Sheik also attended PAX, but seems to a bit confused about Fallout.
I don't see any confusion...:-)

Heroine Sheik said:
It’s pretty obvious the game is ripping off Bioshock. Send me hate mail if you must, but first let’s look at the comparison. Bioshock was a shooter with RPG elements that took place in a post-apocalyptic dystopia. Fallout 3 is, yeah, just that.

spot on...

Tannhauser said:
The Confused Part said:
Fallout 3… Well have you seen vault boy?
Bethesda didn't change that part.

I know....this is just wow.

I've never seen somebody make an ass out of themselves this bad.

I take that back. I've seen plenty of people make and ass out of themselves this bad and this is just another one.

Bethesda made this bed; that of courting the next-gen mainstream gamer, now they have to lie in it.

You can't pander to that crowd, marginalize the old-school fans, and then not expect to get compared to other "FPS with RPG elements".

They burned the old Fallout fans and the RPG purists off. Now you expect kids that don't know Fallout from Flatout to be impressed by the reputation of it's RPG pedigree?

Think again.

Cimmerian Nights said:
Bethesda made this bed; that of courting the next-gen mainstream gamer, now they have to lie in it.

You can't pander to that crowd, marginalize the old-school fans, and then not expect to get compared to other "FPS with RPG elements".

They burned the old Fallout fans and the RPG purists off. Now you expect kids that don't know Fallout from Flatout to be impressed by the reputation of it's RPG pedigree?

Think again.

True. I guess they are gonna bank it on all the Oblivionites buying the game.

FTR, I own Oblivion. But I didn't even follow the game pre-release at all. I rented it. I liked it enough to buy it(didn't drop a dime on DLC) and for what it was a some what enjoyable game that I will probable never play again. I still chuckle when people say it was a great RPG. It is and will always be a amusing Slasher in my book.

I’m assuming I was playing an early version and that a lot of these issues will get polished before the game’s release in October.

Cut the bullshit, I cant stand it. No, its not an early version of the game, the part you played was probably 99% finished and those general bugs like sucky third person camera wont be changed with the final game version. We hear it all the time and those bugs always make it to final version of the game.

I’m assuming I was playing an early version and that a lot of these issues will get polished before the game’s release in October.
Unwarranted optimism should be made illegal. :violent:

Cimmerian said it well, a great many of the players Bethesda is counting on being drawn to Fallout 3 have little or no context for the Fallout name. Its still disappointing when someone gets it this wrong though. And it makes me feel old.

Wow, first bioshock is not an rpg. It doesn't even have a fucking inventory. Second, bioshock ripped off fallout.

Anyone have his email because I need to send some hate his way.

Excuse me GM but there are no girls on the internet. They are mythical creatures that reside in caves under waterfalls with daniel day lewis.

EnglishMuffin said:
Wow, first bioshock is not an rpg. It doesn't even have a fucking inventory. Second, bioshock ripped off fallout.

Anyone have his email because I need to send some hate his way.

Bioshock didn't rip off Fallout. Have you read Atlas Shrugged?

EnglishMuffin said:
Excuse me GM but there are no girls on the internet. They are mythical creatures that reside in caves under waterfalls with daniel day lewis.

Yes yes and the Children are the FBI...I've heard this all before.

Back