Fallout 3: Van Buren (Spoilers!)

hexer

It's PJ!
Modder
Hello NMA!

As some of you might know ( http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/fallout-2-cc-my-expansion-pack.87979/ ), I've been modding Fallout 2.

Lately, I've been busy with modding Van Buren into Fallout 2 (yaaay). I'll post short updates here from time to time. All of the screenshots are WIP.

Vipers' camp in Mesa Verde - Ciphers location.

AmvqLMS.png

Last edited:
NICE NICE NICE ! Hey, the things you wrote and shown are very cool, I want this Van Buren.
But what is the next , how many work remains.

I know it will take me about 6 months to finish all the maps and the new artwork for them. I can't say how long it will take to script the game - maybe 4 months? I guess the game will be released in about a year and a half. The only thing I'm doubting if we'll be able to create some of the unique critters (see list here http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Van_Buren_creatures ). So if anyone wants to help and create a two-headed rattlesnake or some other critter for the game, please contact me.

Anyway, be sure to come back here and check out the progress.

This weekend was productive! Maxson Bunker and Ciphers (Mesa Verde) maps are finished, Tibbets' maps are 75% finished.
Ciphers location is a beast, there will be lots of new art created for it. (I'll post screenshots later, once that new art is in place.)

Next on the horizon are Tibbets and the Twin Mothers.

Greetings from inside the Maxson Bunker

DXvR155.png

Last edited:
First screen looks sexy; looking forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bravo ! Good work ! Push pedal to the metal and release it soon as you can. Please keep us updated for the overall progress from time to time.

I can't wait to play this. I'd volunteer myself to work on this, but I will not have the time in the near future (and I don't know the scripting language yet). Maybe later.

I'm confused, both screenshots look like Fallout 1, and Vipers is a cut Fallout 1 location.

Vipers were to appear in Van Buren and yes, the GUI is from Fallout 1. I'm going for that FO1 vibe so that's why I placed it over FO2's GUI.
Ideally, I would have a new GUI but I'm not that good at creating one. Maybe someone who has those skills will join us.

If you need Vipers for FO1, I can create a map for you - just pass on the instructions.

Ah, got it, cool. Thanks :) I don't need that right now but I might contact you later on about it.

UPDATE #2

The Twin Mothers maps are finished and only their custom art is left to do.
Tibbets' maps remain unfinished until we flesh out the location. MCA wrote very little of it. If anyone's on good terms with him, can you please bug him to spill the beans?

I started work on Hoover Dam - this thing is monstrous - it will have about 15 in-game maps. Also, lots of custom art is required for it. So far, 5 maps are finished and I haven't even started yet.

We're looking for additional personnel such as critter artists, mappers and writers. They would help us build the game earlier. So if you know anyone that would be interested in bringing Van Buren to life please let us know.

Dunno if it'll help, but here is a source for listing some contents that exist in the Van Buren tech demo game files, but weren't used.

I am also quite certain that a lot of Van Buren Critters were integrated or made compatibles with the Fonline SDK tools.
Some of the critters from the critter list on this link were actually integrated in Fonline2238, one of the unoficials Fallout MMO.

http://tcrf.net/Fallout_3_(Van_Buren)
http://tcrf.net/Fallout_3_(Van_Buren)

Last edited:
I'm considering signing up to participate in one of the mods. I have some experience with mapping (tried to pull of my own TC mod for the game with all new story, about 8 years ago) and scripting. Not to good at writing or design though :(
Can you please post a link where I can read more about Van Buren and released design documents or such (as far as I understand, you are working with design docs from the Black Isle, correct?)

Back