Fallout 3 writing editorial

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by WorstUsernameEver, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    well what would the BoS do with HELIOS One? What would House do with his army of robots?

What people always did with "weapons". either fighting or protecting them self by scaring the enemy. Imagine an weapon like a MIRV missile in the hands of an faction like the enclave that has the manpower to operate and defend such an base. They could treat any major faction on the land. A faction like the NCR would think twice before attacking the Enclave for example if they could destroy Shady Sands with the push of one button. Literaly.

That and to prevent that any other faction would get their hands on it. Its valuable technology after all.

2. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    Well ME3's ending worse than rushed IMO, it makes no goddamn sense, is choke full of plot holes and inconsistencies, and the EC didn't help by adding a few retarded scenes and attempting to explain space magic with terms like ''organic energy''. Its's still fucking horrible. But I digress.

What I mean is that FO3's story was already pretty bad all the way through, so the bad ending, to me, didn't come as that much of a surprise, albeit Fawke's comment on why he couldn't enter the chamber was headdesk worthy. And Broken Steel didn't just change the ending, it added gameplay and an extension to the storyline (that only raised more plot holes, such as why the hell didn't the Enclave use their killer satellite to blast the Citadel into oblivion, but still).

Well HELIOS is a power plant and ARCHIMEDES is a repeatable use laser, which is more useful than a one-time nuke. An army of robot is also much more practical in a wasteland IMO.

I guess a missile IS valuable technology, but wasn't there a base in FO3 where there was an active missile silo already? The place where you get the T-51b if I'm not mistaken.

3. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    Fallout 3 is a messy web of both interesting and dumb ideas, poorly implemented and not that well tought out.

4. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    yes and you could even fire that missile even if it never said where it would land. It was one of the more retarded moments of F3. The whole fact how "nuclear weapons" are totally trivialized, from blowing up Megaton, to the use of that "portable nuclear catapult" ... always when you think it cant get worse ...

5. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    But man, it's like, Fallout and stuff, so it has radiashun and nukes and stuff :confused: :nuclear:

You also forgot the explosive nuclear cars, man. Iz shiny :whatever:

6. Jabberwok

Jabberwok Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Jun 7, 2008
    For the most part, Bethesda just did a terrible job of explaining things. But the one massive plot hole that ruined the entire game for me was when the end screen calls me a coward for making the ONLY LOGICAL DECISION in the end of the game, which is to have the guy who is IMMUNE TO RADIATION walk into the irradiated room and flip the switch. And Fawkes for some reason acts hurt that I would want him to walk a few feet into a room instead of killing myself. And then the narration gets judgmental on me like I should have made a retarded 'noble' gesture instead of a reasonable decision. It's clumsy, misguided, moralizing like that which tells me that Bethesda should stick to ES, and not be allowed to write Fallout games.

7. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    They didn't want to make another slide for.. some reason or another, and given you didn't technically sacrifice yourself they picked the slide where you get called a coward. Which is really dumb and feels a little lazy, but maybe Ron Perlman was busy and couldn't be called back, who knows.

EDIT: I don't really like calling a dev "lazy" because behind-the-scenes problem can cast a whole different light on some choices. But in this case I can't possibly imagine what the problem was, besides not being able to call back Ron Perlman for a couple of lines.

8. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    the problem was, that Todd Howard believs an RPG doesnt need a "concept phase" because to somewhat quote hime "thats not something we really do".

They more or less jump right from the brain storming to the "making" of the game.

I really can imagine how that works. Doing things on the fly. Literaly.
    One day they do this cool idea, tomorrow they do some other crazy stuff, maybe even throwing half of the work from the previous day out and so on.

I be this sounds like an very creative and amazing way to do something. Particularly games. But the issue is, that if you dont spend the time and "resources" on a proper concept phase, you end up with something like Fallout 3 of Oblivion, where you have a lot of "cool fluff", but a very boring and shallow world and where it feels like the stuff that is there doesnt really make always sense. Not to mention you also can not really create an coherent atmosphere. I mean does it never occur to people the people that a game like Oblivion, which is cleary a "open world" and "sandbox" type of experience doesnt do well with a main quest which is trying to create a sense of time preassure (You have to save the world! Hury! Get to the son of the emperor before the evil guys do!), but it actually doesnt matte if you do the quests after one day or 10 years of wandering around in Oblivion. And this is somewhat true for Fallout 3 as well. I see that they "want" people to explore and not feel preassured. But really. SOMETIMES you should do it. If only to get a feeling of authenticity.

9. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    As far as I can tell, what Todd Howard meant was that they like to get the game running as early as possible and implement stuff early on so they can iterate on what works and what doesn't systems-wise. They definitely did a lot of concepting for Fallout 3's world and we saw as much.

10. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    I think what you mean is exactly what I said. They try to go to the "world stuff" as fast as possible, throwing everything in that sounds "cool". But they never really check if it fits or not. - Also, I am NOT talking about concept art or about the visuals here. I mean a CONCEPT PHASE, which includes concept art, but it is about the whole frame for the game.

I mean we are not talking here about a few small errors, which can happen in every game, hell movies are full of such small details, but most of the time you dont even notice it.

But a situation like the "sacrifice" in F3 and party members that cant be hurt by radiation refuse to do it for you ... is more then just a plot hole.

Its outright insulting to the inteligence of your players.

And such things usually can be very easily avoided if you spend more time with the "concept" of the story. You know writing it correctly and sticking to it.

I dont say this is exactly the way how Bethesda is doing their game. Its just a guess. But I think it really shows that they dont spend much resources either on writting or a coherent story.

11. mobucks

mobucks jetski Orderite

May 22, 2010
    Todd Howard on writing:

"Tedious monkey work!"