Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - next release will be some time in Jan 2020

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Sduibek, Dec 15, 2010.

1. SenorGast

SenorGast First time out of the vault

Apr 4, 2015
    OMG ! Welcome back Sduibek !

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  2. Sduibek

Sduibek Creator of Fallout Fixt Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
    YOU GUYS I FIGURED OUT THE SOURCE OF THE WORLDMAP CRASHES!!!! AHHHH. Took me about 10 hours of testing / debugging and the fix won't be much fun but I finally figured it out. Thank jebus. This one has been bothering me for a long long time.

Long story short, I discovered it turns out Fo1 engine in very specific circumstances related to random encounter map generation, doesn't like having map_update_proc routine anywhere within the player's script file, even if it's empty and not being called. After I removed map_update_proc, I can no longer reproduce this crash. So odd.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  3. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanks @gustarballs1983 @SenorGast !

Appreciate the feedback and requests as always, @gustarballs1983. :) Keep em coming. Please do add them to the Fallout Fixt Bug Reports wiki page as that's the best way for me to keep track of requests (if you haven't already; i think the Miles ones are already on there).

I feel like i've asked you this before so forgive if you already shared the link, but do you know where I can find v1.8? Drobovik's fallout database has 1.7.6 as the newest.

Also I noticed if I enable the fix for 13-year time limit with his version of Sfall, it screws up the start date of the game to 2162 instead of 2161. :(

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  4. gustarballs1983

gustarballs1983 Mildly Dipped

Oct 28, 2009
    @Sduibek

Both of your questions are simple to answer with a little sniffing around. It's over a year i discovered the time wrap bug in 1.7.6 and it was fixed in later releases(at least it is in the one i have (dobrovik's files aren't up to date it seemes) it's been discussed few pages back in this thread AFAIR when i bugged crafty about sfall1 features (he even aded combat looks so when you have awareness you don't need to use binoculars in combat- this function is tagged to aiming/targeting cursor so it is now possible to view details of mobs behind walls a'la fallout 2) the timewrap issue fix crosses out some bugs from wiki about instant invasions since the time was force forwarded by a lot my char changed age back than from 34 to like 46 (it was reflected on char sheet) so most other changes like invasions (wich were time passing related event) got triggered too. This is now fixed. As for where I get new sfall versions the answer is yet more simpler.. from the source... baby... from the source..
    (not the source code ofcourse i mean crafty's page on russian forums). some members of nma comunity have posted this and it's also in crafty's signature under each of his posts.
    Basicaly files are stored on dropbox AFAIR. Here's the link to the russian forum thread:
    http://fforum.kochegarov.com/index.php?showtopic=29288

then click on:
    Версия для Fallout 1.
    "Версия для" means "Version for" there's also one for bis mapper but it works for Fo2
    i think.

EDIT:
    Oh yeah for the time wrap issue after the fix was not to use timelmit 13 but -3 for reset date and overwrite date values so that it is seen to the engine as if there was continuation. as for how it works You must bug crafty or someone who knows *how* it works because i don't.

EDIT#2:
    attach I'll look into the russian changelogs and figure out the differences between 1.7.6 and 1.8 but don't count on me doing it fast. I can *somewhat* read and understand russian, but it ain't my main language and the place when i got it taught i recived an equivalent of D- score barely to pass.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  5. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Awesome .Thanks very much! :aiee:

I did end up figuring out the time wrap stuff with a little testing - The values you end up having to use are bizarre, but ultimately with the Start Date lines uncommented, once I figured out the correct values you can eventually get the start date correct even with the ideal 13yr crash fix in place (TimeLimit=-3 / TimeLimit=-2).

You have to use:

Code:
    StartYear=2148
    StartMonth=3
    StartDay=22
    So with the above that means the 13yr limit is removed, date won't reset back to 2161 when you hit 13yr, and start date is still the morning of Dec 5 2161. Woo!

And no worries about translations we have automated tools (and/or @Drobovik) for that :D

EDIT: Hmmm this is weird, v1.8 file size is less than half the size of v1.7.6 - that doesn't seem right. There's some pretty great new additions since 1.7.6 though.

I'll have to play around with it to test for function and stability. Thanks again!

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  6. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    no worries it's the correct file size is smaller because it was created by assembler which allowed better compression rato. somebody else pointed that out few pages back and at least this is more or less what Crafty responded. Having a hard time in home.. christmas fever and stuff so I'm rather pressed for the time. I'll have to delay that translation for a bit.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  7. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Awesoooooome thank you very much! @Declen

It should but there's a bug. Will be fixed in next release. @Kryalis

Did you have high Luck, like at least 9? Even in vanilla game it's extremely rare to encounter them with Luck less than 9. I did not change the chance for special encounters because it's hard-coded. @Maxell

I did not change this functionality, but it's a fair request. I can make this an optional customization. @Kryalis

Known bug; planning to fix. @mandala

Hey there! Sorry for the silence. If I remember correctly I added this locked because medic always referenced a locker but one did not actually exist. I'll look into it. @Pwener

tbh since this thread is about Fixt explicitly, I'd start a new thread for this. Hope that helps! @Schezza

1. Pretty sure vanilla was the same way re: reaching the other floors. In vanilla game you couldn't open the door via the computer until 24 in-game hours had passed though, in some installs of Fixt this might be changed. I'll look into it.
    2. It's not the latest because Fixt install is from mid-2015. Not sure if this version fixes that bug. You can find sfall1 v1.8 at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbh2nv90wbxl37z/sfall1.7z?dl=1
    3. No. Check settings in f1_res and ddraw
    4. ddraw.ini if you use the most recent version (1.8) @Daniel "Dan" Acerbi Rocha

Thanks so much for the report / details / savegame @Bob Morane , i'll get this fixed in the next release!

1. Not fixed yet; will fix. :) 2. Just ending slides different. @azat11

Thanks! I'll look into this and add to troubleshooting guide. Will also considering setting flicker fix to 0 by default. Unfortunately that means some people will get flickering :P I don't think defaulting it to either 0 or 1 is the perfect solution for anyone tbh. Windows systems just differ far too widely for a once-fize-fits-all fix. @Daniel "Dan" Acerbi Rocha

It does not. That's a false positive; will be fixed in next release. @Fizzycswag

Just to reiterate from my earlier answer, DO NOT install these on top of Fixt under any circumstances. It will cause many issues. I'll make sure to make this info clearer in my documentation. And rest assured any portions of these which aren't currently implemented, will be eventually :) @naossano

1 should be fixed with ddraw. I've never heard of 2; your Fixt install might be corrupt or have issues, or maybe UAC is interfering if you installed to Program Files. 3 is known bug from vanilla game, resolved in most recent version of ddraw (see post #1 of this thread). 4 is a known bug from vanilla on modern systems. No known fix at this time. <3 @Systolic Motivator

Not at this time - Fallout Fixt is a fairly complex install with many moving parts. Manual install would be a large undertaking for (to the best of my knowledge) a very small % of players. Which isn't meant to sound rude, just means it's not high priority at this time. @Jeanette

I've added it to post #1 of this thread :)
    I think it should be OK to just add to Fixt directory but I haven't tested much because I'm working on next release of Fixt (which will include sfall 1 v1.8 most recent) @johnmilk

Nice to see you again, Ryan! :waves: I've never heard of killing Bob disabling Tell Me About for anyone. That is very strange; i'll look into it.

Yes please provide your files for Appearance Mod!!!!! awesome awesome I will include in next release.

Vinnie/Urn bug shouldn't be a thing. Will investigate.

Crashes with Stapleton/HubDowntown is probably from you deleting her script. What changes weren't optional that you didn't like? @RyanFialcowitz

Sorry for all the trouble! This sounds like a big pain. i've never heard the same kind of reports though - i suspect something with your system setup is causing issues. If you've already tried various changes to f1_res.ini and ddraw.ini without success, i'd also trying disabling/removing each of them one at a time entirely. One of them might be causing some kind of conflict on your computer. @TheWickedGamer

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  8. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    For @Sduibek eyes mostly a quick google translate with minor fixes that reflects changes (in english) between 1.7.6 and 1.8 of crafty's Sfall1

Attached Files:

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  9. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Should there be a chance to become a ghoul after dipping? (if player has enabled the option for gameplay to continue after being dipped)

Or should it always be Super Mutant?

If yes to the first question, what should the parameters/conditions be to qualify as ghoul instead of super mutant?

Implementing ghoul option would be easy for me so it'll be useful to know what you guys think.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  10. Proletären

Proletären A Smooth-Skin

Mar 15, 2012
    If you are low on luck you should probably become a ghoul.

Since there's a lore reason in the game for the master to be in need of uncontaminated subjects to create his super mutants maybe you shouldn't qualify if your body is no longer suitable. Remember there is already a fellow from V13 who became a ghoul after being dipped. It would be loads of fun if you could be ghoulified.

Another idea, really stupid people should probably gain intelligence by being dipped? Since the super mutant thing is a way to enhance people.

11. Oracle

Oracle Water Chip? Been There, Done That

May 19, 2003
    Did the Bible mention failed dips ended in ghouls? I mean I don't mind seeing a way were the player turns into a ghoul, but don't think it's after being dipped. Just my 2 cents

12. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    I was actually thinking the reverse re: your last question - i was thinking INT of 6 or higher should become INT 10, whereas INT 5 or lower should become INT 1. (Super Mutants only happen from prime specimens, and most of them end up with child-like intellect according to the lore/canon.)

Here's some excerpts from Fallout Wikis:

- "While FEV does not produce ghoul-like mutants like Harold as reliably as it does Super Mutants when humans are infected by it, it does occasionally spit out something that looks like one."
    - "Mutant creatures and where they come from is one of the most controversial topics in Fallout canon and it's very easy to annoy veteran scholars of the setting by getting things wrong or even just partially right." (lol)
    - "Chris Taylor offers a different point of view on how ghouls are made. He suggests that when people with too much radiation damage are dipped, you get ghouls. When people with mild radiation damage are dipped, you get stupid super mutants. When people with little to no radiation damage are dipped, you get intelligent Super Mutants."

Failed dips involve in painful death according to the Lieutenant. lol

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  13. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Good news! I was able to get the endings for Vats/Master fixed so in next release the order you finished them in will match the slideshow. This is actually a vanilla bug so it's nice to finally have it resolved.

Also I fixed a couple more crashes today. Yasss

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  14. Proletären

Proletären A Smooth-Skin

Mar 15, 2012
    But doesn't the player meet a person in the camp of the Followers who has become "ghoulish" after being dipped?

15. Oracle

Oracle Water Chip? Been There, Done That

May 19, 2003
    I always assumed it was mainly due to the radiation with some exposure to FEV. Also wasn't Harrold a special case. Man, I'm forgetting stuff. Time for a replay. I'll wait for the final release :-)

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  16. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Yes I mentioned this above - Talius.

No release is final, there's always more to be done ;)

17. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    I personally am convinced that in order to become a ghoul you'd need to be severely radiated and mildly touched by FEV. I mean weren't all the ghouls in that universe a consequence of early enclave releasing diluted FEV to the upper atmosphere above US in order to test FEV before the nukes went off?! Since not all population got infected with FEV due to it spreading randomly from the upper atmosphere to mainlad. Two special cases were known Harold and Talius. Harold was in the same room with Richard Grey when suddenly Harold got out someohow to the desert and ended up sucking rads post mild infection (because he was not in the vat with "some sort of acid bath" he only breathed in the virus via air, so the transformation occoured later after he sucked up rads and it was a slow process. (Harold mentions he was changing slowly when caravan took him to Hub). Talius on the other hand sucked lots of rads way before he was caught by supermutants and dipped, wich ended up him beeing ghoul. On the other hand dumb super mutants also occour from highly radiated humans.
    I think the best way to resolve it by SPECIAL is to separate chaff from the wheat/weak :p in order to become supermutant with high int one must have low rad count and succed in luck roll (in order not to turn into a high int ghoul). high rad count and high luck would yeald dumb super mutant, and finally high rad count *and* low luck would yeald an *insane* ghoul or as non canon games state them a "ghoul crazies"/or whatever they are called.

18. naossano

naossano So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 19, 2006
    Harold and Talius are NOT ghouls.
    There was an issue between Cain and Taylor about if someone dipped could become ghouls. This was settled by avellone in the bible.
    So, ultimately, those two characters aren't ghouls, but unique mutants.

On the other hand, there might be an opportunity to become ghoul, if you reach the glow without any radaway\rad-X, or maybe while having a cheaper counterfeit rad-x. Would reduce the chance of becoming ghoul accidentaly.

In any case, i am more curious about how other npc will react to you.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  19. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    Hey @Sduibek I just plowed through my harddrive a moment a go and found that I've made an addon to Fixt .081a/party NPC addon a while ago.
    the goal of my mod was to enhance NPC protos in a way to line up with special system/level
    It is a newer version of what i once sent you, I made it made with a different tool this time (Mr. Stalin's Fallout Proto Manager 1.1.0 ).

Once agin as a reminder:

-made the mod for change appearance, can wield any weapon.
    -All stats are assumed that NPC gains 4 levels at once since it's 1 of their level every player's 4 levels. at final level they represent char lvl 9=1(base)+4(lvl1)+4(lvl2)
    -NPC gain Hit Points based on endurance/2 +2 formula x4 for every level
    -Base proto of Ian and Katja are based on vanilla protos with adjusted graphics.frm because their stats in teamX's mod were crippled.
    -Tycho's SPECIAL were adjusted to fit the player formula with Gifted triat he was missing two points wich were putten into intelligence so that skill gain was not too low.(it was the closest thing to be in line with number of SPECIAL points)
    -Ian Has increased base crit chance (maybe he was sepose to be finesse triat char)
    -Katja was simulated to be Gifted and Skilled triats (based on skil gain and SPECIAL amount)
    -Tycho and Ian gain 2x5 to crit chance and 1x better critical (20%). Katja gains 2x5 crit chance.
    -Gun skills are now their main skill point dump during their level up.
    -AFAIR Mr.Handy gun skills were enhanced as well.

A cheater variant also exists in which all skills and secondary stats were bumped to max (very bad choice for evil characters planning to destroy shady sands and junktown as their chance to be hit is negative) affected characters Tycho; Ian; Katja; Dogmeat; Mr.Handy.
    AFAIR Mr,Handy's armor class was not bumped due to his ability to corner player and make him stuck so to have a chance to waste him when he does so.

EDIT: If anybody downloaded attached file prior to 23:50 GMT+1 should rdownload there was a bug that cheated and legit version were both cheated version I'm uploading the corrected version now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  20. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    @gustarballs1983 Thanks for the download, this is very cool! Nice.

Welp I guess that settles that. lol.

Ohhh I like the idea of being Glow-ed into a ghoul that's good. Let me think about it.

Honestly I have no plans for this. It's mostly kind of just a novelty / "wouldn't-it-be-cool-if" feature at this point because rewriting dozens or hundreds of dialogs just sounds awful.