Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - next release will be some time in Jan 2020

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Sduibek, Dec 15, 2010.

1. gustarballs1983

gustarballs1983 Mildly Dipped

Oct 28, 2009
    @Sduibek added few economy section bugs. if you plan on tackling this i think it is important.

Additionally i've managed to get missing translations to changelog in sfall1 v1.8 by Crafty

Attached Files:

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  2. Sduibek

Sduibek Creator of Fallout Fixt Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
    Finally giving some real TLC to the Overseer endgame interaction - it needed some.

From my running log for the next release :

Code:
     - During endgame sequence with the Overseer:
       -- Animations and audio/video are now in sync, and they last an appropriate amount of time.
       -- It's no longer possible to run away and otherwise interfere with or break the interaction.
       -- If you kill him you're no longer left with a free phantom 10mm Pistol.
       -- Death sound effect now actually plays if/when he dies.
       -- Once dead, his body is no longer obscured by the Vault door platform art afterward.

^ for the record, I think those were all vanilla bugs.

Yesss, you are an angel.

Man there is so much great stuff in v1.8 ...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  3. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    [gustarballs1983 suddenly blushes.. He thinks for a while than, aperantly he comes with an answer]. Angel?! Frend trust me I ain't that good... Angel? well perhaps a fallen one if at all.. :D

/fun
    Perhaps place the changelog into sfall You've linked on the main page so that ppl stop pointing fixed stuff as a bug anymore. there's quite a lot of stuff in the bugwiki that is now covered/fixed by v1,8. Hence why i think bugwiki needs a purification process to pass on it. mainly delete bugs from older releases, as aperantly some idiots out there still think that v6.7.3 is newer than 0.81a.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  4. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    lol. Well to be fair, the fact that I changed how I was formatting version numbers has been confusing.

The good news is the next release will not be changing format again: it's simply going from 0.81 to 1.0.0 :)

And yeah once this upcoming release is actually released, I'll do a major cleanup of the bugs wiki.

5. naossano

naossano So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 19, 2006
    It can be narrowed down, especially for the super-mutants. Would still mean quite somedialogues and scripts...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2018
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  6. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    @Sduibek
    I just remembered some bugs from my last playthrough
    1 Mr.Handy missing attack animations for flamer and big energy weapons (although he has animations for holding not only minigun but also a big gun, he just only can't fire flamer plasma and laser rifle. (maybe an big gun machinegun/sniper rifle was meant to be in F1 because animations are there).
    Can You please drill a hole in Pixote's stomach to get those missing animations?
    2 Mr.Handy can't go into in-depth conversation after recruitment so no way to order him to self repair as was mentioned during repairing his software before recruting. No way to pass ammo or a new weapon.

3 some more economy bugs.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2018
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  7. beo

beo First time out of the vault

Mar 20, 2007
    So I thought now its a pretty good time to give FO1 another run, thinking all the mayor modding/patching has been done and finished long time ago, but..

Gotta be my luck.

Anxiously waiting on the 1.0.0 now :)

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  8. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    @SduibekI will hold off my next playthrough and waiting for v1.0.0 .

If only stealing woudn't be so damn annoying in this game I mean even with steal way over 200% i always have to reload several times in order to steal a damn knife from a peasant or a stimp. I personally dream of global scripts for Fallout 1 and an equivalent of gl_stealcheat.int in Fallout 1. that could help simplify things.. too bad @Crafty doesn't hear me out.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2018
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  9. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Regarding stealing: yeah there's some stuff that just can't be fixed in Fallout1 engine without being a coder ninja like Crafty. Won't be an issue once moved into Fallout2 engine :)
    @gustarballs1983

Thanks for the bug reports! Appreciate it and will address them.

10. Oracle

Oracle Water Chip? Been There, Done That

May 19, 2003
    What time frame you have in mind of the move af F1 to the engine of F2? sounds like quite the ambitious task, if possible

11. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    IIRC it's been going for more than 10 years. Judging by Sduibek's signature it's 75% complete.... I have no idea who or how many are working on it at the moment...
    My estimate is, anything from 3-4 years, at least, to, infinity at most >_>.

12. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Sounds about right :lol:

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  13. naossano

Oct 19, 2006
    Isn't that a Dude101's project ?

14. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    The flamer animation for Mr Handy - http://www.mediafire.com/file/e9hnz1979tqf1s1/Mr+Handy+Flame+Attack.FRM

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  15. Muttie

Muttie It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 9, 2017
    Story-wise the level of radiation seems most important. The Lt. talks about prime normals and pure-strain humans (meaning people not exposed to wild-FEV, but may actually mean people not radiated).

So I would go by level of radiation. Which means the radiation absorbed during travels and the consequent level of mutation would decide how the dipping process turns out.

The problem is that the game doesn't really count rem, nor does it add any. The Glow being the only exception. But even then it's not permanent.

There could be an approximate build up based on days spend in the wasteland (100 days/150 days/250days).
    Perhaps combined with a total of rem received (or a certain barrier crossed). Making the Glow visit possibly the most important element.

So, using a timer may make sense, but, imo, it's a stiff mechanic, as the player would have to prolong the game if wanting a certain result.

Easier could be to go by the character's Rad-Resistance (as it indirectly reflects how much radiation the player must have absorbed during the journey). And as some armour has Rad-Resistance, which shouldn't count, that probably means to base it on EN (EN 1-4 (aka 2% to 8% resistance) could become a “Ghoul” aka “mutant”, 5-8 a super-mutant and 9-10 an improved super-mutant, aka a “nightkin” which may use the model in black leather. The last could be intelligent similar to the Lt. Traits like Fast Metabolism and perks like Rad-Resistance could be factored in, too. Last, there may also be a luck factor as the process of dipping is crude and the FEV mutated.

For example: Fast metabolism EN=0. Rad-Resistance EN+2 per perk level. LK roll: passed EN*1,5. Failed EN/1,5. Total EN 1-4 Ghoul (weak mutant) or even death. 5-8 a dumb super-mutant, 9+ an improved super-mutant, aka nightkin. I guess death is not an option as the player always survives the dipping according to the video. However, doesn't the video also suggest that the player is always a super-mutant?
    EDIT: As pointed out "nightkin" is a rank that would need to be assigned to the player when turning out to be an intelligent/improved super-mutant after the dipping, it's not a state of being.
    EDIT II: If the player visited the Glow it may subtract from EN, too (-1 or -2), to represent the high dose of radiation. A concern may be that -2 may be too much of a bump, causing a poor outcome too often, especially as the Glow visit is standard.
    Please, note the adjustments suggested in a following post (i.e. EN 1-3 is a FEV Mutant (not 1-4) and a passed LK roll is EN*1,3 (not 1,5)). Both balances the outcomes a bit better.

Traits like Small Frame and Bruiser (i.e. body frame) having an effect did sound good at first, but make no sense really, as the FEV transforms the body.

P.S. The voice record for joining the unity is only played when joining the Lieutenant, not when joining the master (i.e. I only get the video, but no narrator voice on me being a happy mutant afterwards). Is there a difference? Like being turned into a super mutant at the military base, and at the cathedral into a psyker? At least the dip sequences are both the same, suggesting both dips take place at the Military Base (?).

Notes: I did read a bit through the bible (strg+f) and here are a few points I assembled for my own understanding, while studying the topic: http://www.filedropper.com/fevdipsandsalsamutationsinfo1

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  16. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanks for the animation, @.Pixote. !

Fo1-to-Fo2 engine? Not that I'm aware of. It was originally by Jordan. The confusion might be because the thread for it (see my sig) was posted by Dude101 and I ended up edited the OP of the thread as information became available of its status once I picked it up.

But it's basically my project now even though I haven't worked on it in a while. That said, it definitely includes important and vital contributions from various excellent folks of this community.

Thanks for the detailed reply and info, @Muttie ! And oh it does, that's a very good point. lol. In that case probably best to have dipping not make the player a ghoul in any circumstance. Breaking with the cutscene would be a bit silly in a playable-after-dipped feature.

Can you clarify what exactly you're referring to? In the vanilla game, there's no narrator whatsoever if you get dipped. It plays two cutscenes and goes to the main menu. If you're referring to the audio in this video, that's a restoration done by me because I noticed the audio existed but wasn't used in the game.

Yes of course, there's no FEV vats at the Cathedral. I always assume they hauled off the Vault Dweller from master's vault to MB to dip, I don't see why anything else would be the case.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  17. Muttie

Muttie It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 9, 2017
    Pity. I liked the idea actually. And now I tricked myself out of it (…), lol.

Anyway, I did look at my formula in more detail and the numbers may look a bit better if adjusted to “Ghoul is total EN of 1-3” not “1-4”. And a passed LK test may multiply EN with 1.3, so “EN*1,3” instead of “EN*1,5”, but make sure that 3*1,3 doesn't become 4, i.e. no period just 3*1,3=3,9 summed down to 3=mutant (that looks like a ghoul)).
    This changes:
    - EN 6 failing the LK roll would still become a Super-Mutant. Before, a failed LK roll needed EN 8 to still make a normal super-mutant, which was probably too high.
    And
    - It now would need EN 7 and a passed LK roll to make “nightkin”, before EN 6 was enough, which was probably too easy.
    I think it should be spread a bit better, now. But feel free to ignore it.
    EDIT: fixed typo, changed LK to EN

Yes, that narration after the two cutscenes, it only plays when joining the Lt. When joining the master it's only “dipping” followed by the “attack” video, but there is no narration of “you're happy, but there is the tiniest doubt in your mind” etc.

Just speculating, as they seemed to create the psykers at the cathedral (...just saying ;-)). Anyway, background work is fascinating. It also occurred to me that there is actually no known case where the FEV improved the intelligence of a Homo Sapiens. It does that with animals before and after the war (V13 deathclaws), but never human beings. They are only stable (Harold, Talius, Lt) or they develop super-natural powers (master, psyker), but there is no “FEV braniac”, as far as I know. Perhaps the FEV will never improve the intelligence of a human being (aka creatures with a more complex brain than an animal). At least I don't think it ever happened, neither before, nor after the war. May be very well impossible.

P.S. I tried to update the bug report page but it wouldn't let me. What I wanted to do was to correct an error I made. I'll try again later to update it, but I post it here for now, just in case, it causes confusion and wastes time.
    New 0.81alpha/German Uncut/Full/Win7 I just tested the save (Slot08RazorDisk) again and I would receive the Regulator Transmission immediately, but the Brotherhood Disk from the Glow would disappear from my inventory (!?). At first, I thought this is in relation to Razor, but as it turns out the Glow disk is discarded the moment I look at it (binoculars). Even clicking on it once is enough to trigger the discard. This save is after gaining access to the BoS, so the issue is only about denying the XP and pipboy file. I already uploaded the save to dropbox, but here is another version on filezipper, just in case: http://www.filedropper.com/slot08razordisk

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  18. naossano

Oct 19, 2006
    - Talius and Harold are not ghouls, but unique beings (especially Harold\Bob). There was an issue between Cain and Taylor about if you could become ghoul with Fev or not. It was settled by Avellone in the Fallout Bibles.

- You don't comes from the vats as a nightkin. It is some rank\job within the Unity hierarchy, not a species. It would be as if you were born firefighter. Those who changed color skin got that condition (and schyzophrenia) through decades of stealthboy overuse.

- The key to be dipped and remain smart is the level of radiation. The less exposed you are, the more likely you are to not become dumb. The vault dweller is assured to not become a dumb dumb (unless he already is dumb in the first place). Also, it becomes a major plot point in the end of the first game, as both Lou and Grey want the location of your vault, so they could gather pure subjects.

- Marcus and Lou both consider themselves smarter after they became super-mutants. Same for the first pure human that the master converted (who might be or might not be Lou)

- Before Bethesda got their hands on the IP, Mariposa was the only source of super-mutants in the Fallout universe.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  19. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Yeah I do too - i'll figure out a way to make ghoul playable though ;) A couple people mentioned visiting the glow without enough rad protection could result in becoming ghoulified, I think that's a neat idea.

Well just to reiterate what I said before, I don't think that audio was ever used in the vanilla game. That's why I was excited to restore it / use it.

See here: (through Master)
    And here: (through Lieutenant)

Both play 2 cutscenes, no Ron Perlman audio. I added that. :)

Strange that you couldn't edit the wiki! Sorry about that. I appreciate this report, I'll check it out.

20. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    @.Pixote.

:aiee: YAAY..
    Thank You.

Btw can anyone confirm that Mr.Handy can shoot (turbo)plasma or laser rifle? as far as I can remember he can only hold them but not shoot due to atack animations missing. or am i wrong?