Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Sduibek, Dec 15, 2010.
Which version are you using? Did you start a new character for that version?
I am using 5.2 installed on top of 5.1, and no I did not start another character. I thought I saw you say somewhere that was OK. Maybe I'm mistaken?
No you're right, it should be fine. Just making sure, thanks.
Would you please provide a save game?
Which specific map in Junktown were you leaving or entering when it crashed?
Was Tycho on your team?
Unfortunately I don't have any more saves from Junktown, but a similar crash just happened in The Hub. I think it was a conversation-triggering door that did it...the house furthest East on the East Side. Tycho is not on my team now. He may have been when I was crashing in Junktown, not 100% sure tho. I'll get you the most recent save before the event, and the crashdump.
Edit: 100% reproducible, let me know if there's any way I can complete the interaction.
A bug maybe?
First of all, I must say this all-in-one mod is really effort-saving, Thank you!
Return to the subject, after the installation(GOGFallout & FIXT only), I've found something very inconvenient, that every time I step into the house of that "medicine man" in Hub(east of Jacob's weapons, can't remember the name), the game crash. The last thing I saw was a dialog window he brought up.
I wonder what cause it and how can I deal with it?
Sduibek - I would like to ask you some questions about the reasoning behind the use of tpatch.exe in the v5.2 Fallout FIXT pack.
As you know, it is a 16-bit app that runs fine providing you aren't on a 64-bit OS such as Win7. I know there is the downloadable Compatibility Tool which will allow users of Win7-64 Professional or Ultimate to get the 16-bit app to run but this tool is not available to users of Win7-64 Home. It is only available to the Pro and Ultimate users.
I use Win7-64 Home on my Mac Pro under Bootcamp as a cost-effective way of running Windows since I keep all my games on that drive. As expected, I have run into the issue of "Unsupported 16-bit Application" when trying to get the 5.2 FIXT to complete.
What I need to know is this...
1. Did the four calls to tpatch.exe prevent the rest of the FIXT patch working or did it complete successfully apart from those steps?
2. Please can you tell me what issues were addressed in those four calls so that I can make an informed decision as to whether I can do without those fixes or if I really do need another solution.
3. Lastly, is there any other method you could use to achieve those four fixes that either did not need to rely on a 16-bit app or could those calls be broken out into a standalone mini-patch running under something like DOSBOX for the Win7-64 Home users?
I think this is going to become a bigger issue moving forwards as Microsoft moves further away from 16-bit app support. They have already made it an optional download for only some of their versions of Win7 and with Win8 around a month away, it is possible they will move even further away from that line of legacy support.
More and more of us will have OS versions that simply won't permit tpatch.exe to run in its current form but Fallout 1 is still receiving well-deserved attention due to its appeal and (after appropriate patching) its quality.
In the short term I could choose to spend the £120 retail (or £90 online) that Microsoft are demanding for an upgrade from Home to Pro, but when Win8 hits us it will be a further expense, if 16-bit apps are supported at all.
So...is it time to come up with either an alternative to thatch.exe or is there another way to get it to run?
Lol medicine man, I like it. I'll call him that from now on
Fix is on the way. I'll try to get it done tonight.
I might have missed it, but is there any way to make your installer not try to use a 16-bit program near the end of it's installation? It pops up a bunch of errors and refuses to work anyway (win7-64b).
Shadowkeeper - I mentioned it in the last post of the FIXT feedback thread too.
Check the last post : http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58086&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=880
Unless you have Win7-64 Home, all you need to do is go to the MS site and download the Compatibility Tool. It is only available to Professional and Ultimate users remember.
Ah, thanks I missed that!
I'm running ultimate so I'm off to look for that tool you mentioned!
Thanks for the reply, but there seems to be another problem.
In the "Mutant Invasions" part of the FIXT installation, I chose the third one: All enabled, default days, Boneyard after 90, Necropolis after 110...and so on.
But when I went to Boneyard again(came here with the Far Go Caravans before, just once) in Jan. 22, only found everyone laying in blood and the place was swarming with mutants.
It supposed to be 90 days(begin with the the moment I set foot in the wasteland I assume?), I think that should be around Feb. 5?
I feel bad responding with such a small reply to such a beautifully written post, but long story short, you needn't worry about it. It's basically a patch to certain hex locations in the master.dat and critter.dat files to fix certain crashes, but you may or may not have the affected version of those files, so it's nothing to sweat.
I will do my best to have a fixed version released tonight.
Should be march 5th, actually. Weird. I'll check it out.
Oh yeah my bad.
I can offer my save file if you need it.
Thank you for the reply - that was just the feedback I needed.
I am pleased to hear that the rest of the patch would be applied successfully without these four edits. I really do appreciate you looking into an alternative way to apply those edits too. It will be good if you can find a way round using tpatch.exe as it will make the game more accessible to more people... "Fallout FIXT - the ONLY Fallout patch you need!"
I am definitely looking forward to exploring Fallout - I have never played any of the Fallout series before... I have always gone for the fantasy RPG side of the fence - BG, Planescape and so on. Since GoG.com had their "Diamonds of D&D" sale this week I filled up on my missing fantasy titles and of course with the KickStarter for Project Eternity it made me have a new look at the Fallout titles so I grabbed FO1 and FO2 from GoG.com too.
I now have a ton of great Oldies to play for the first time and it is a wonderful thing to realise that not only are they still being played enthusiastically by people, they are still being modded and patched too.
Keep up the good work!
Hey Sduibek, is this thread for bug-posting and other ideas, or it's that other Fixt thread? Anyway I've just finished whole game and I have to say, with that kind of alpha version like 5.2, You don't need to release beta version before releasing final version of the mod.
1) I've got a same problem during installation as DanielCoffey, because I'm using Win7 64bit, anyway I didn't noticed anything (very) wrong in game.
2) You should really check some restored content - third elder of Shady Sands, that one in Garden part of town, told me to kill radoscorpions, and when dialogue ends, I found leather armour and hunting rifle in inventory. And no other quest in pipboy. And I have that nice conversation with her before I even asked Set about showing the way to cave.
At Khans there was a prisoner from Junktown, after I wiped out all raiders, there was no proper dialogue option to told him he's free (or maybe something just didn't triggered, who knows). Freed slavegirls' floating text was displayed in red. Shouldn't be in green?
3) My favourite kind of errors - memory errors. One time in random encounter with merchant - talked to me with errors. After failed pickpocket attempt, reload, then game crashed with nice pop-up window with memory error each time I tried to talk to him. Nevertheless, I've just left the location.
4) As someone mentioned, "medicine man" in Hub (oh how I lol'd when I read it) is bugged. Game didn't crashed when I talked to him two times, but all dialogue options was errors. So second time I clicked something wrong and have to kill him, but hey, I took all his stuff from his dead body, including something about 30x Rad-X, so finally I could travel to Glow without worries.
5) And Glow, yeah, well, it was a bit strange, all of my buddies (Dogmeat, Ian, Tycho) were immune to radiation. I've never played with huge party before (yeah, that's weird when I think about it) (or at the late game stage they're already dead since long time), and didn't noticed it before.
6) Childkiller - when You killed just one kid, no one gives a flying f*** about this. I ended game as a Childkiller and Champion with 83 reputation. Maybe changing it, that everyone would finally noticed that Childkiller who killed only one kid is still a Childkiller, is a good idea? (I killed "flower child" in hospital in Hub. Decker said no witnesses, so...)
7) One small quest broken in Brotherhood? Michael told me to get EMP grenades from Vree, but didn't noticed I brought them - he just asked for them again.
8) It will be a nice, new feature, if player could report that Skulz told him to stole urn, because each time I stole it, Neal knows that I stole it, and when I and Junktown guards appear at Skum Pitt to kill Skulz, Neal attacked me, so I have to killed both Skulz and all other people, including him and Tycho. After several reloads, I've completed this quest by talked to Lars that Sherry would testify against the Skulz, without even tried to join them or do anything for them, but it was too easy way.
8) After I completed the game, my character died. Yeah, just after end-game screens passed, I saw my character just lying in blood before Vault 13 gates, in a cave. Weird. So I didn't have a little and final chit-chat with Overseer.
I am beginning work on alpha 5.3 right now.
Yes please. You can give a link here or email it to me, either is fine.
Before and After saves is best, if not available that's okay.
Sorry to bug you, but every time I try to save the game after dealing with Doc Morbid in Junktown, I get this error:
Which version are you running and which version did you have when you created that character?