Fallout game set in a different country.

Hassknecht said:
vanzizzle said:
Surely there would be some ships that would be useable.. or even subs stationed at dry docks that never got deployed at locations away from where the bombs fell and that didn't get found out. So, making Super Mutants or 50's retro, American culture plausible in other countries.
But what would be the point?
A Fallout set in a different country should specifically NOT be 50's americana+super mutants+whatnot.
I think there are a lot of possibilities there.
A Fallout game set anywhere else would lose a lot of iconic imagery, but well, America is not the entire world.

In other words, a Fallout game set in a different country isn't a Fallout game.

That said, you can make a post-apocalyptic game set in a country also completely full of itself during the Cold War and rife with black humor - just set it in Russia.

Since FEV is in the atmosphere, it could have spread to the entire world. No supermutants anywhere else, but surely there are all kinds of mutated animals, either by pure radiation (as BN stated above so strongly that you doubted yourself soldier!) or by FEV traces as well.

Damn, rabid giant crocodiles wearing spiked metal armor in post nuclear egypt would be the pwn.

I'd like to see Europe and Germany in particular breaking down into 10-20 small kingdom like entities, all fighting among each other.

Main character can faction with them, unite them into alliances, overthrow governments and instill yourself as a leader, and even carve an empire out.

Of course, a very different and specialized engine would be needed for this. Instead of RPG+FPS it'd be RPG+RTS. It would be very sexy.

Thomas de Aynesworth said:
Of course, a very different and specialized engine would be needed for this. Instead of RPG+FPS it'd be RPG+RTS. It would be very sexy.
A little like the old Burntime, maybe more emphasis on RTS?

@Nalano: I'm just saying it could be interesting. A different perspective. Of course it wouldn't be much left of the original Fallout except that it's set in the same universe, like the movies Blade Runner and Soldier.
But then again, did the war only happen in the US? Are the US the only country in the world?
We only know what happens in America, what about the rest?

I'm thinking Hawaii. It's kind of small compared to previous games, but maybe as a DLC or something...

But in general, any location can work with the proper writing.
Hell, the Soviet Union wasn't too different from the United States in some regards. You just put more matryoshka dolls, cosmonauts and ushankas. To me the Pre-War Fallout USSR is more or less the same from the Red Alert 2 and 3 cut-scenes.

Hassknecht said:
Thomas de Aynesworth said:
A little like the old Burntime, maybe more emphasis on RTS?
You ever come across a farm in a random encounter in Fallout 2 and think, "damn, I wish I could stay here/build more buildings/found a town"? Oh yeah, I certainly have.

Even though i would love to see a Russian fallout XD
Fallout wouldnt work anywhere else, what i would love to see is a fallout set in America but in an area with a different climate then the Mojave desert or Capital Wasteland, maybe something like a nuclear winter, would be cool :D

I think some american undertone is quite important for the typical fallout feeling, so it might not exactly work out well in countries where you didn't have such undertones.

But countries who were bordering american might work.
Fallout Mexico, where Mexico mysteriously becomes some post-war paradise and wanting to keep the US-americans out of their country... but well it might not be to good to base a whole game on a single 'joke'...

As somebody said Hawaii might be interesting, but i would say any 'Tiki' island might work.

Back