Fallout PnP canceled, new license announced

Well, the problem with the special system is that it used a complex system of hexes and percentages to handle combat. Now that's doable, but the type of calculations required bogs down combat. Now its great for a computer game, but not really for a PnP.
What you need is a system that is Character driven (think Unisystem or White Wolf) which would give you the fluidity and detail needed in the Fallout setting but with a combat and damage system that's more Plot driven (think AD&D 2nd, or Hackmaster).

Timmy - Boy of the Future?

timmysmart01previewyn5.jpg

thenightgaunt said:
Well, the problem with the special system is that it used a complex system of hexes and percentages to handle combat. Now that's doable, but the type of calculations required bogs down combat. Now its great for a computer game, but not really for a PnP.
What you need is a system that is Character driven (think Unisystem or White Wolf) which would give you the fluidity and detail needed in the Fallout setting but with a combat and damage system that's more Plot driven (think AD&D 2nd, or Hackmaster).

It doesn't have to use hexes etc. The specific combat mechanics can be tweaked, but I'd really prefer the SPECIAL *character system* to be kept.

Ausir said:
thenightgaunt said:

It doesn't have to use hexes etc. The specific combat mechanics can be tweaked, but I'd really prefer the SPECIAL *character system* to be kept.

You would really have to streamline the mechanics to make it playable unless you are a real calculator geek who doesn't mind the combat running like molasses due to constant stops to press buttons.

That said, I have looked at converting SPECIAL into a playable PnP game and I keep coming back to the idea. The only problem is that the game is really badly designed when you get into details. I spent a lot of time analyzing the equipment and related rules when I did the FOD20 project and much of the weapon damages don't make sense and are not consistant. In addition I am firmly of the opinion that they priced ammunition by throwing darts at a dartboard, there is no rhyme or reason to the pricing structure. Of course, I could fix all that...

Oh, and I don't think that using hexes is a problem at all, we use a hex grid for playing PnP games all the time.

As I said, I'd be for keeping the character system mostly intact, but completely redoing the combat system to make more sense generally and for a PnP game.

Ooh, cool.
I'd love to see how it comes out. One of my biggest annoyances with D20 is that everyone tries to convert games over to it and they just dont fit the system, the Star Wars RPG for example. I'm just glad that the Deadlands D20 and Call of Cthulhu D20 RPGs failed.
If you can get SPECIAL running smooth as a PnP system you've got my respect. ^^

I thought the Star Wars D20 played OK once some adjustments were made, but in general I don't think D20 does well outside of fantasy settings. I always preferred the KOTOR version of SWD20.

It's interesting to note the similarities with Fallout mechanics though.

Both systems essentially are based on melee combat, they both reduce firearms rate of fire down to the same speed (1 shot per round for basic characters) as melee attacks and reduce the impact of firearms on combat. It doesn't matter if you are using a single action revolver or a semi-automatic pistol, they all shoot at the same rate.

Both systems use armour to reduce the hit chance, although FO also has armour reducing damage as well (something that has crept into the D20 concept box in recent years).

Both use a hit point model that requires shooting someone repeatedly to kill them, it is hard to kill a character in both games. FO has critical hits, but those have been in use in D&D in varying forms via house rules since D&D was originally released in the 70s. Fallout has hit locations, but there was a game aid book called Bio One that came out just around the same time as D&D that had a very complex hit location and damage system that was used by a lot of D&D players in the old days, especially when gamers began to modify D&D into using guns and technology.

FO always struck me as the result of a menage a trois between D&D, Runequest, and Champions. Besides what is noted above about D&D, Runequest perfected the percentile skill system and Champions introduced us to the point buy character build system.

Isn't Star Wars just fantasy in space, with magic (force), knights (jedi), swords (lightsabers) and beautiful princesses?

Princessi.

Yes, though I think the Samurai analogy works better, especially with the aesthetics of SW.

There's also a strong SF element to it, though, and this element can be larger or smaller depending on how one plays it.

Ausir said:
Isn't Star Wars just fantasy in space, with magic (force), knights (jedi), swords (lightsabers) and beautiful princesses?

On one hand I'd say yes, but in the campaign I played in we spent a lot of time dealing with space ships and ship to ship combat. It really depends on where the GM wants to take the campaign.

Ausir said:

That's the direction that WotC appearantly took with it. A lightsaber does about as much damage as a longsword does in D&D.

I just hope that whatever d20 system is made, it breaks down weapons into more specific specialties, and applies armor deflection and evasion as two different types of AC. Locational damage needs to be more elaborate, and gun and armor durabilities also need to be added...

There are a lot of other things I'd change too, as it seems like an incomplete system, and the hex system is a lot more complicated for do-it-yourself campaign makers, so even though its risky, I'd strongly recommend trying to switch to a grid system..

thenightgaunt said:
Ausir said:

That's the direction that WotC appearantly took with it. A lightsaber does about as much damage as a longsword does in D&D.

The horrors ,the horrors.

Look what they did to my SWRpg ma .

xdarkyrex said:
I just hope that whatever d20 system is made, it breaks down weapons into more specific specialties, and applies armor deflection and evasion as two different types of AC. Locational damage needs to be more elaborate, and gun and armor durabilities also need to be added...

There are a lot of other things I'd change too, as it seems like an incomplete system, and the hex system is a lot more complicated for do-it-yourself campaign makers, so even though its risky, I'd strongly recommend trying to switch to a grid system..

Exodus uses the defense system of d20 modern with advanced DR for most armors that reduce damages from a type of damage. We have classified 4 types of damage reduction. This was an adaptation from the DR found in D&D 3.5 rules and works well.

GluttonCreeper said:
xdarkyrex said:

Exodus uses the defense system of d20 modern with advanced DR for most armors that reduce damages from a type of damage. We have classified 4 types of damage reduction. This was an adaptation from the DR found in D&D 3.5 rules and works well.

I see. How does the armor class system stack up though, aside from DR?
Same as in fallout?

Sorrow said:
I don't know why, but this image brought a broad smile to my face :D .

Mine too, although I don't know if for the same reason.

The guy looks like as if Duke Nukem ever stooped Vault Girl :D

xdarkyrex said:
GluttonCreeper said:
xdarkyrex said:

I see. How does the armor class system stack up though, aside from DR?
Same as in fallout?

Yes, each armor has its own DR value against each of the four types of damage.

Back