Fallout 2 mod Fallout: Sonora

Hey guys, am having issues with a quest at the ranger dam. The one where you go with the cadet to kill the rats in the cave, then a bandit shows up and holds the farmers hostage. My game goes to a black screen with audio after exiting the map no matter if I kill or spare the bandit. Does anyone know what the issue is? Attached are my savegame files in zip form, there's three saves, one just after killing the big rat, one after the hostages are freed, and one after the bandit's been killed. Thanks!
This is because of the robot in the DLC. He appears with the cadet. Put it in data\scripts\ZTMap.int

This is because of the robot in the DLC. He appears with the cadet. Put it in data\scripts\ZTMap.int

Thanks! Installed the fix and it works now. No blackscreen!

But the patch doesn't seem to work with the community edition exe, which I'm running Cambragol's recent English translation through. Install instructions + what my main directory looks like below, and here's the thread itself: https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads...nora-dayglow-1-14-vanilla-translation.222396/
upload_2024-7-18_12-57-56.png

upload_2024-7-18_12-59-34.png

The impact is relatively minor, because its just like seven lines of dialogue before I can just switch back, but a patch that works for the community edition could be super useful to future players. Again, this is just going the extra mile, the issues already resolved. Thank you for your time, Foxx!

I'll check this out.

What is the map that you are returning too?

I'm going to the East "travel squares". It brings you back just outside Parker Dam, but then the game blackscreens due to what Foxx describes in the post above.

Is this a known bug? Do you have the source for this script? Are there any more introduced by the DLC?

I made my own fix for this, just a quick hack job, preventing the robot from appearing at the Ranger Base. It seems like this whole thing could have issues elsewhere though, i.e. on other maps during other missions. Does your ZTMap.int script deal with other issues that might arise?

Putting it into data/scripts/ may not work for him as I believe the .dat files are loaded after the data folder.

EDIT: Perry, I guess from your post it is not working for you (at least with the CE edition)? I may need to add my script/scripts into a third patch, which would be loaded after the translations and the DLC

EDIT: @Perry The Chucktopus try this patch I have attached to this post. It should load after the other patch00n.dat files and fix the issue for Fallout CE. Unzip it first of course.

Attachments

Last edited:
I made my own fix for this, just a quick hack job, preventing the robot from appearing at the Ranger Base. It seems like this whole thing could have issues elsewhere though, i.e. on other maps during other missions. Does your ZTMap.int script deal with other issues that might arise?
Removed (dude_elevation>0) in (cur_map_index == MAP_RANGERS_BASA). I didn't touch anything else.

It seems like this whole thing could have issues elsewhere though, i.e. on other maps during other missions.
To exclude this, it is better to fix it in ZPMap:
add_timer_event(self_obj, 5, 2); on add_timer_event(self_obj, 20, 2);
Code:
procedure map_enter_p_proc begin
   variable mapIndexMsg;

if (is_loading_game == false) then begin
      set_global_var(GVAR_RADIOACTIV_GLOBAL,0);
      set_global_var(GVAR_RADIOACTIV_STOP,0);
      set_global_var(GVAR_RANDOM_CAVE_ENEMIES,random(0,6)); // см SCRIPT_ZSRandom
      if (global_var(GVAR_GAME_DLC_1) == 0) then begin
      set_global_var(GVAR_GAME_DLC_1,1); // !!! даёт допуск к DLC
      end
      add_timer_event(self_obj, 20, 2);

Looks good. I assume the timer is not active in the dialogue?

I also wonder whether a different approach for the robot, without a fadeout/fadein would be good. Or a check for whether a dialogue is active? I am not familiar with Fallout Scripting, so no idea if such things are possible.

@Perry The Chucktopus - I included the cumulative script fixes I have been working on in this thread in patch003.dat

Playing through the Rangers area right now. There are quite a few small issues with quest logic, conversation logic, and at least one seriously confusing dialogue error, that is present in the original Russian.

I am fixing these as I go, both in scripts, and in dialogues (changing the original, not just translating)

Short list of some of the issues:

General Mossman asks you to *take* a report to the Ranger in San Brahmin. But he gives you no report. In San Brahmin you ask Ranger Oscar to report on his activites. So it looks like the Mossman dialogue is wrong. The rest of his dialogues and script line up with getting reports *from* you and Oscar on San Brahmin.

The spy in the Ranger areas script is looking to get the Radio Codes. However, the script gives you the option to ask for the codes from the Radio operator *before* you even talk with or meet the spy, not *after* he has revealed his and other parties interest in them, as it should be.

The location of the repeater is to the east both in the code and the dialogues, however, on the local map for the Rangers area, it is due south. Additionally, the exit out of the Radio area is due south, leading to some confusion

The repeater is still operating when using the walkie-talkie even after being destroyed. It can be located and travelled to again, despite being permanently out of commission.

Numerous small dialogue logic that should be mutually exclusive, but is not, and seems weird. example. You've fixed something, and when you talk with the the relevant NPC you have the option to ask 'how to fix it' and to also say 'I've fixed it' Just a loose example.

Currently all the above issues are fixed. Certainly slowing down my play-through a bit though.

Found more issues in the Rangers area. Mostly around the 'survey' quest.

The quest appears to be incomplete. The setup is very vague as well. The promised rewards don't exist. And some other aspects of the conversation with the cartographer are mixed up.

I have fixed these in code. However, this fix required multiple lines of additional dialogue. Now the quest has a clearer setup, clearer goals, mid-quest feedback, and successful quest rewards.

A couple of small bugs/issues in the Garage area:

1. Arriving at Garage city *after* visiting multiple world locations still gives you a noob conversation with the guard.
2. The Jackal attack quest can be completed successfully without even having to enter the tunnels or engage the Jackals. Just walk straight back to Garage city and claim your xp.

I fixed both of these in code.

Has anybody tried to get the Sonora Express working (in code). There is a whole chunk of code in the scripts dedicated to it, allowing delivery of objects/items between towns, however, it is all commented out. I guess it never worked? Anyone know the story here? Anyone tried to get it working in game?

It might have been cool to offer it as a 'fast travel' service between the major settlements, if the delivery aspect of it didn't work.

the survey quest ( if we are talking of Quartz survey is working just fine in foxx's release do mind most of the stuff in the quest is map based and in different locaton Quartz, and relies around few global vars.

as for sonora express once it worked and other times it didn't so maybe the devs decided to ditch it i dunno. and i'm talking of an experience ranging from Sonora v1.00

The survey quests main issue, aside from being frustratingly unclear for some people (I guess), and unrealistic for others (me maybe) was the lack of the actual stated reward. ie. viewing the Rangers maps. My script fix now adds that back in. It also adds mid quest feedback/clues/help)

Interesting about the Sonora Express. I didn't realize it was implemented at some point. It must be as you say, and they ditched it because of bugs or some such.

Back