Fallout 2 mod Fallout: Yesterday

OK, I think I discovered what's causing the slowdowns. If HI-RES mod is turned on and your graphic card is 2D or integrated Intel crap, then it will run like a PowerPoint slideshow. Forcing the game to use the 3D card makes it run smooth!

:dance:

If I can play on Intel crap (HD 4600 mobile) ATOM RPG/Trudograd without issue, then how "ancient" Fallout 2 engine together with Hi-Res patch could be so demanding in FY?

I must be doing something wrong or the game is acting weird; some issues I encounter (some of them already mentioned before by others):

- broken dialogue with the girl in the metro café (“go on”)
- I *think* it’s that girl Magik asks to leave a message, but no dialogue options with her because of the reason here above. (I’m also not sure anymore if it’s this girl Magik means because it doesn’t show up in the quest lists on the pipboy (as other miniquests!)
- something wrong with the same girl’s father’s dialogue because when I try to tell him she’s dating me, he says impossible because “you’re a female…” while I’m playing with a male character…
- in the orphanage the female doctor ath the bottom left corner gives a quest to take with Taz (or Chaz?), but when talking to him no useful dialogue options appear?
- then’s there also weird stuff going on with the Sheriff (Joe?) and his sons (sonny black and red), when I want to go with Joe to kill or remove the junkies and I say “I’m ready to go” nothing happens. Maybe because I already convinced Maurice to leave?

I feel completely stuck, and know of nothing to do anymore, let alone escape…

Please point me to what I’m doing wrong here?

OK, I think I discovered what's causing the slowdowns. If HI-RES mod is turned on and your graphic card is 2D or integrated Intel crap, then it will run like a PowerPoint slideshow. Forcing the game to use the 3D card makes it run smooth!
The reason is not HI-RES, but the fact that you use shaders in your mod, which significantly reduce FPS on weak video cards at high resolution.

I feel completely stuck, and know of nothing to do anymore, let alone escape…

Sorry, loads of quests in Tibbets that were added in R2 are unfinished and can only be completed in a specific way currently. That's why they don't show up in your Pip-Boy. The quickest method to escape is to rest until Halloween (OCT 31st), then enter the Metro bar level. You should hear a loud explosion in the distance. Then travel east.

The reason is not HI-RES, but the fact that you use shaders in your mod, which significantly reduce FPS on weak video cards at high resolution.

Not much I can do there. The "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" look is part of the game.

One More thing @hexer
If You have the guide for CrapOSX or linuk$$$ using w(h)ine, don't forget that they need to be running at least in windows XP or above mode and also add f2_res.dll (native,builtin) to w(h)ine override besides just overriding ddraw.dll.
In R4 that is.
Running F:Y R4 on Android with ExaGear would be PITA as hell..

Android Integrated GPUs are weaksauce as hell, not to mention the option to force GPU acceleration for 2D applications was cut from developer options in Android 10.

So the only option would be to turn of the shaders, if it won't break the game in a way it will be unable to play. (Not counting Immersion).

EDIT:

Found some annoying bugs:

1.Custom Combat options for Hanged Man are waay off, and don't get saved even on map change.
Ask @Lexx about how to proceed with this one, He's got ecperience with setting those as he was doing all four party NPCs in Fo:EtTu, I remember Him saying something about there beeing a strict specific order of those custom combat options to be one under another in a script or else it will not work as it should.

2.Circle o Steel has a table that can't be looted, as it's blocked by another table from the side which it is lootable.

Last edited:
To me this just doesn't look right. :D

But bloom has been part of the game since forever, in a limited form thanks to the 1998 tech.
Even you said way back that's "damn cool" but I guess you changed your mind :D

LJCVIz0.jpg

1.Custom Combat options for Hanged Man are waay off, and don't get saved even on map change.
Ask @Lexx about how to proceed with this one, He's got ecperience with setting those as he was doing all four party NPCs in Fo:EtTu, I remember Him saying something about there beeing a strict specific order of those custom combat options to be one under another in a script or else it will not work as it should.

Pretty sure I've added him in in the last minute so players can have some at least some help in combat out there. I'll fix him and many new companions are coming in R4.

I mean, that's just glow. And in a static image. Your bloom shader kills pixels with overblowing the brightness (I just tried it on ettu for lolz), and it gives me FNV ENB vibes.

/Edit: Disclaimer - do what you want, I don't care. It's just my opinion on it.

I mean, that's just glow. And in a static image. Your bloom shader kills pixels with overblowing the brightness (I just tried it on ettu for lolz), and it gives me FNV ENB vibes.

/Edit: Disclaimer - do what you want, I don't care. It's just my opinion on it.

Yeah but Glow = Bloom. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_(shader_effect)
I got the same lightning glow as in that picture with my shader on legacy art.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I came up with the idea on my own.
That's the look that the lead Fallout 2 artist considers right for Fallout.
They just didn't have the tech back then.

Well I'm glad they didn't have the tech, because it looks bad. Can't even see the shrub grass scenery objects, because it's just glowing like mad.

Well I'm glad they didn't have the tech, because it looks bad. Can't even see the shrub grass scenery objects, because it's just glowing like mad.

That's how it is when the sun is high, everything is blinding you. I know that well haha - I hate wearing sunglasses in the summer so I squint all the time. Especially if I visit Mediterranean where everything's built from white stone and grass is yellow.

Anyways, I'll pay a little tribute with it to the BIS spirit but you'll be able to easily turn it off.

@hexer
what sfall, and which version of it did You released R3 with?

was it Sfall-Extended 4.2.9 or was it something else?

Anyways if someone just like me is playing with 'sfall-extended' v4.2.9 because he likes that 'no knockback on punch' or other neat stuff, know that in 4.2.9 of the Extended sfall there is an error with party control combat part of the mod.
I've talked with the author of sfall-extended Mr.Stalin and he did a fix for the bug. so if anyone is intersted here is a link to few scripts that you need to overwrite in your Fallout:Yesterday\Data\SCRIPTS :
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/eHLaNZvuzpPczQ
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/eHLaNZvuzpPczQ

the above 3 scripts fix:
mode=2 and mode=3 of [control combat] of the sfall-mods.ini
and 'auto close containers' if it is set to =1 in sfall-mods.ini otherwise it doesn't work in sfall extended.

P.S.
if some of you folks are wondering why "the hanged man" does not hand control over himself to You during the fight *after* applying the fixed files, it is due to line under Mode=2. the PIDList= must contain the number of .pro file of the basic Hanged Man prototype, otherwise it will not work.

Sorry, loads of quests in Tibbets that were added in R2 are unfinished and can only be completed in a specific way currently. That's why they don't show up in your Pip-Boy. The quickest method to escape is to rest until Halloween (OCT 31st), then enter the Metro bar level. You should hear a loud explosion in the distance. Then travel east.

Thanks, that got me out of Tibbets!

Now I’m stuck again after visiting fort abandon and the legionnaires with the deathclaw, no other places show up at the world map. Is this the end of the demo?

I read other people visiting other places such as bos bunker… Don’t know what I’m doing wrong here.

Thanks, that got me out of Tibbets!

Now I’m stuck again after visiting fort abandon and the legionnaires with the deathclaw, no other places show up at the world map. Is this the end of the demo?

I read other people visiting other places such as bos bunker… Don’t know what I’m doing wrong here.
You should be able to find the Brotherhood of Steel by going 6 squares south of Tibbets, then 4 squares west.
The world map is a bit large.

You should be able to find the Brotherhood of Steel by going 6 squares south of Tibbets, then 4 squares west.
The world map is a bit large.

OK, thanks I'll try this, but just wondering: is this the only way to reach BOS and other locations, or should I've been able to get them through some other way than just wandering through the world map?

Back