First details on Dead Money, New Vegas' first DLC

Dillrod said:
But when placed in a post-advanced society, with many of the advances of pre-war society utilized, adapted, and even replicated (NCR), choosing not to utilize these resources is counteractive to the survivability of the society, pushing towards illogical thinking, despite personal technophobic concerns.

But most of these advances were destroyed in the nuclear war! In fact, the NCR was born out of a self-sufficent micro-agrarian communiy and until Tandi's death (who was raised in such a community) it was still a Republic with its ideals at heart. It was not until those that adapted pre-War society's advances (the Hub and neighbouring areas) came into power that it became a corrupt, imperialist pseudo-democracy.

And then there's New Arroyo, which mixed the best of the simple folk of Arroyo and heirs of the pre-War world, the vault dwellers.

But most of these advances were destroyed in the nuclear war! In fact, the NCR was born out of a self-sufficent micro-agrarian communiy

As I said, self-sufficent micro-agrarian communities like Shady Sands are fine, I wouldn't be surprised if Vault Dweller founded one of these. But he founded a shamanistic tribal village where people live in tents, relying on healing powders for their medicine etc, instead. Shady Sands had a real doctor, for example.

Ausir said:
As I said, self-sufficent micro-agrarian communities like Shady Sands are fine, I wouldn't be surprised if Vault Dweller founded one of these. But he founded a shamanistic tribal village where people live in tents, relying on healing powders for their medicine etc, instead. Shady Sands had a real doctor, for example.

Shady Sands was founded in 2165 and what we see in Fallout 2 is the settlement after some 75 years with no inspiring figure to guide its development. Do remember that the Vault Dweller came to Shady Sands some 20 years after they were settled in and it was in a much more accessible location than the cliff-bound Arroyo.

Also, why wouldn't he create a shamanistic tribal village? Maybe he considered that to be more morally sound. Remember, he might've been slightly mad after his experience with the Master.

well I guess without a chance to ask him, we probably will never know for sure ...

And so the Dweller, like always remains a mystery for the tribials around around him

I have always figured that Arroyo was just a little tribe of tribals, where the vault dweller and friends had some fun with the tribal girls and gals, trade a few trinklets and stuff against supplies, and then when further north to found their real settlement...

This could conviniently explain the technological level of the tribe, why they ain't any more vault suits around, why the tales say the vault dweller left, and still be coherent with the f2 lore in term of the Chosen One and the Elder being descendant of the Vault Dweller. The legend around the VD would have made his little stay more important than it actually was...

It would have made sense if not for it being contradicted by the Vault Dweller's Memoirs from FO2 manual, for example.

It would have made sense if not for it being contradicted by the Vault Dweller's Memoirs from FO2 manual, for example.
Shhh! Don't destroy my attempts to make sense of this mess in my head! :D In my defense, i bought the game without the manual, and didn't learn about them until very recently (a few years).

Plus the memoirs themselves contradict the reality ingame :
I taught the others the skills they would need to survive and grow strong. Hunting, farming and other skills to feed us. Engineering and science to build our homes. Fighting to protect what was our
Especially the science and engineering part. Unless Max Stone was the one leaving the vault, I wouldn't call the tribals tents a home.
I made a map once, with the arroyo MY vault dweller would have founded, without temple and tribal shit. But then, there wasn't any reason for the Chosen One to leave...

Replaying the game at the moment and having Veronica along... I'm wondering if they'll contract Felicia Day again given her history with Father Elijah (that is, if we find him to be alive in Dead Money). Her dialogues about him really seems to set up some of Dead Money.

Or maybe companions will be checked at the door, who knows.

Back