Fallout 1 mod FO1 to FO2 conversion, for real

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you guys @phobos2077 @JimTheDinosaur seen these errors before?

Terrain [0]: desert (0)
Terrain [1]: mountain (0)
Terrain [2]: city (0)
Terrain [3]: ocean (0)
WorldMap Error: Couldn't find match for Map Index!
strParseStrFromFunc Error: Couldn't find match for string: !
strParseStrFromFunc Error: Couldn't find match for string: north1!
strParseStrFromFunc Error: Couldn't find match for string: north2!
strParseStrFromFunc Error: Couldn't find match for string: north3!
strParseStrFromFunc Error: Couldn't find match for string: north4!
strParseStrFromFunc Error: Couldn't find match for string: north5!
strParseStrFromFunc Error: Couldn't find match for string: north6!
strParseStrFromFunc Error: Couldn't find match for string: hunters!
strParseStrFromFunc Error: Couldn't find match for string: ! <-- this is repeated about 50 times

Error!: partyMemberRecoverLoadInstance: No script![Party Member 0]:

[Party Members]:
Error: Failed to fix party member critter scripts!
This shows on pretty much every map.

My guess would be that it has to do with (slight) differences between FO1 and 2 map file formats: http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/MAP_File_Format

specifically:

Map Id.
  • Fallout 1: Map filename found in map.msg
  • Fallout 2: Map details found in data/maps.txt in section [Map id]

and:

EXIT-MAP-ID">EXIT-MAP-ID : Map Id. The id of the map that this exit grid leads to.
  • Fallout 1: Map filename found in map.msg
  • Fallout 2: Map details found in data/maps.txt in section [Map id]

Not sure how you would go about addressing it though...

Do the maps work properly to begin with? Do exit grid work etc.?

Last edited:
Maps work.
Long list of errors occurs at very beginning when executable is run.
The party errors occur every map load.
Fo1 didn't have worldmap.txt

He said he needed some time away, so he probably auto-banned himself for this given time to make it easier not to come.

Yeah, because that wouldn't be a good thing for him to be banned seriously. I couldn't see why he would, anyhow. Unless he flipped and went on some bizarre rant over in the general conversation section and pissed off the mods. :razz:

Hello, i see the to do list and alpha is up, is this thread/project still active? Just read like all 8 years of posts in two days. I wanted to help. Not a modder, but I am a professional developer c/c++/objective c (plan on eventually putting this on iPad) :), will to learn anything, but art or do tedious stuff if needed. I guess the league seems set, but can I least qa?

Hello, i see the to do list and alpha is up, is this thread/project still active? Just read like all 8 years of posts in two days. I wanted to help. Not a modder, but I am a professional developer c/c++/objective c (plan on eventually putting this on iPad) :), will to learn anything, but art or do tedious stuff if needed. I guess the league seems set, but can I least qa?

Help is always greatly appreciated! I'll check and see if there's anything I can find for you to help with. :D

From the to-do list (first post of this thread) a bulk of the remaining work is not programming per se, rather working with data and/or text. For example adapting Fallout1 encounter data into the Fallout2 Worldmap.txt encounter tables format.

If you check the list though, some of things will require programming. sfall will probably be needed for some, and sfall is coded in C/C++ so you might be able to do some of those! Let me know if any sound interesting to you.

Last edited:

This is a semi-official repository of sfall (one of them anyway). It needs some features for FO1 support. I think implementing countdown message on pipboy via some ASM hacks would be a start :) You know asm, right?

@Delewis1987 How's everything going?

At everyone: if all goes according to plan, I'll be able to get back to work on this December 5th.

I'm also holding myself to my previously discussed schedule, so no matter what happens, I'll be releasing something on or before January 5th (six months since last release)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, I checked some "current issues" and I'm not sure why are they listed as issues. Such as 200 skill limit, skill cost past 100, perks, level limit, dotted line, etc. I thought the whole point of the conversion was to play FO1 as if it was FO2.
What will be left of FO2 if all this gets implemented? Just "take all" button?

Companion interactions incl. the better menus (barter screen, take all button,..) and easier time with modding the game. Modding Fo1 is highly limited.

Playing Fo1 "as if it was Fo2" wouldn't work very well, imo. The game is too small / short for that. Not that the skill limit would really matter a lot, though.

I don't know... Companion barter screen, who even uses that. "Take all" is already done in sfall. I didn't know that Fallouts differ much in terms of modding, though.

I really hope that when it gets finished, all these FO1 quirks will be optional upon installation. I'd rather see FO1 content simply wrapped in FO2 engine.

Barter screen also means being able to trade more than 999 items. Companion interaction includes the menu for setting prefered weapon, armor and combat style.

I don't know... Companion barter screen, who even uses that. "Take all" is already done in sfall. I didn't know that Fallouts differ much in terms of modding, though.

I really hope that when it gets finished, all these FO1 quirks will be optional upon installation. I'd rather see FO1 content simply wrapped in FO2 engine.

Beyond the overall ease of modding being significantly increased, meaning we could potentially form a Fixt Dev Team instead of just me, I think as far as specifics to me personally the Push command and companions is the things I'm most excited about. Imagine being able to quickly and easily change so Ian never does Burst fire, etc. The specific advantages may not be overtly noticable at first, it's really intended as a significant long-term investment/upgrade. Also, I personally am excited to have Ask Me About be a dialogue option instead of the button with mysterious hidden query options.

Once it's moved to FO2, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to see some contributions by people like JimTheDinosaur, phobos2077, etc., which will be great and much-welcomed.

Plus to some degree it's "We can, therefore we shall" ;)

And yeah, many aspects of it, as with the current incarnation, will be optional. And since various of them are done through Sfall, they should be reasonably easy to cusomize.

@Lexx Speaking of which, I'd really like to allow customization in-game. Do you recall if we decided on a way to do that without completely ruining game immersion? I think it was discussed that possibly the terminal in V13 straight ahead of the main entrance door (so the one between the Medic and elevator) could be some kind of "V.A.T.S. Customization Station" or something like that. I think that's a reasonable compromise between no in-game customizations (LAME) and carrying around the Vault Dweller's Survival Guide or a similar "mod customization item" (LAME).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you can't get back into the vault before you walked around a while. Adding some kind of one-time item or a dialogue screen to Ed outside seems a lil more appropriate to me. Somewhat like the rock at the beginning of Fallout 2 in the RP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back