Fallout 2 mod FO2 Engine Tweaks (Sfall)

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Dude101, Jul 30, 2007.

1. FatMerc

FatMerc First time out of the vault

Feb 18, 2020
    OK, I got this running with Win98SE with Directx9 installed, but on the main menu I see only the change from Fallout II 1.00 to 1.02 not the extra Rpu string. And the rock doesn't show up confirming the install. I just barely recently got this started and maybe I need to tweak something? Using DDraw 7. I also get the screen adjustment menu on main menu...Sorry just realized Im speaking about RPU in sfall forum, but maybe somebody could help.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
  2. kokeeby

kokeeby First time out of the vault

Jul 4, 2019
    What hardware are you running this on? Some emulator? Or a real PC?

3. FatMerc

Feb 18, 2020
    Yes, its an emulator. Dosbox-Pure running Windows98SE with Dx9. I see now that only XP and later is compatable. Rats!

4. kokeeby

Jul 4, 2019
    You could use crafty's sfall2, which should work on Win98 Dosbox (check the instructions in the archive) and is probably enough for killap's RP 2014 (not 100% sure about this; definitely not enough for RPU).

https://fforum.kochegarov.com/index.php?showtopic=29288

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
  5. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder Moderator

Mar 10, 2007
    Why not recommend your sfall win98 backport?

6. kokeeby

Jul 4, 2019
    Dosbox-pure can only do Pentium i586, which is not enough. I wanted to have a look at it and make sfall9x work there, but I've been lazy...

7. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    If you're aiming at Pentium MMX, at least you need to replace those CMOVcc instructions in sfall, as they are only available starting from Pentium Pro/II.
    But even with them replaced, you might still be caught off guard by VS codegen.

8. kokeeby

Jul 4, 2019
    Yeah, I had the CMOVs and MMX replaced and I could get it working on pentium i586 on PCem/86box, but dosbox was still not working. I think it's mostly a HW emulation problem. Not necessarily CPU. Sfall4.x in terms of HW requirements is almost an XP-tier application and dosbox was designed for humble 80486 games :). But I would have to consult the HW emulation with the dosbox guy, hence my laziness.

9. FatMerc

Feb 18, 2020
    Just to be clear I have vanilla Fallout 2 running full speed using Dosbox-Pure with RetroArch on my iPhone 8 Plus using Vulkan. I typically use Auto (not a specific cpu model) and never see slowdown. I’ll try some of these other options above. Thnx for reply. I realize this is niche, but with mobile getting more powerful maybe it’s getting less niche. I’m only able to find December Dx9 not October. http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/directx.htm

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  10. kokeeby

Jul 4, 2019
    December 2006 is good too.

Vanilla FO2 is not very heavy, I played it on pentium 120Mhz, sfall with all the RPU scripts is heavier. If I were you, I'd look into https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.af.fo2ve

Author claims compatibility with ettu/sfall/rp etc... and it has custom control scheme for phones.

edit: crap, I forgot you're on iphone... well check if fo2.exe exists also on iphone? :)

It does seem like there's no ios version, maybe you also have an Android phone?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  11. FatMerc

Feb 18, 2020
    @kokeeby I did and used to use exagear, which was easy and great to use. The trouble I run into though is win98se has trouble using the modified ddraw.

Edit: Nevermind All Good

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
  12. Vault 39 Dweller

Vault 39 Dweller First time out of the vault

Nov 8, 2023
    Is there a way to keep the Fallout 2 window from capturing your mouse cursor, like the default behavior of the High Resolution Patch?

13. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    sfall 4.4.1 and 3.8.41 are released on SourceForge, along with their respective modders packs.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  14. Nirran

Nirran Vault Senior Citizen
    Modder

Apr 15, 2007
    heya ppl,does sfall hr-res have the zoom feature?if yes what key is it?if no can it be added?

15. kokeeby

Jul 4, 2019
    I tried InventoryFilter 2.0.2 and the hotkeys on sfall 4.4.0/4.4.1 are broken. (maybe broken .ini parsing?). The hotkeys are all scrambled.

Tried it on vanilla fo2 + ifilter202 + (sfall 438/440/441/5023)

4.3.8 and 5.0.2.3 work correctly. I can cycle between the different categories with Q/1/2/3/4/5.

on 4.4 however I have to cycle on my character with the hotkeys reserved for NPCs (W/6/7/8/9/0) AND the subcategories in it are also scrambled (the default hotkeys are laid out so the different item types follow one after another, but here it's all mixed up).

edit: I tried to bisect it, the behaviour begins with https://github.com/sfall-team/sfall/commit/14f6de0329337d56b5be858f4ccf1835f0bd530b

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  16. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  17. kokeeby

Jul 4, 2019
    Yep, works correctly. Thanks.

18. fuzzi

fuzzi It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 7, 2006
  19. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    sfall 4.4.2 and 3.8.42 are released on SourceForge, along with their respective modders packs.
    A note about add_mult_objs_to_inven script function:
    Code:
    obj := create_object(PID_STIMPAK, 0, 0);
    add_mult_objs_to_inven(dude_obj, obj, 1000000);

When you try to add more than 99999:
    • Vanilla or sfall pre-4.0.3: Player gets only 500 Stimpaks.
    • sfall 4.0.3-4.4.1: Player gets 99999 Stimpaks.
    • sfall 4.4.2+: Player gets one million Stimpaks as intended.
    There's also a trick to increase the number of an item with rm_mult_objs_from_inven:
    Code:
    obj := obj_carrying_pid_obj(dude_obj, PID_NUKA_COLA);
    tmp := rm_mult_objs_from_inven(dude_obj, obj, -1000000); // remove negative == add
    destroy_object(obj);

Player will receive one million more Nuka-Cola. This works even in vanilla.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1