Game Informer Fallout: New Vegas preview scans

Arr0nax said:
People often bitch about New Reno being off-setting, but to me the greatest utter piece of bullcrap in the Fallout 2 setting is the NCR. I mean, no, it just doesn't make sense. The Fallout 1 world is an inhabited wasteland where the greatest form of social organization are gangs and some decadent sects, and then a republic spawns out of nowhere, on the very spot the lifeless craphole Shady Sands were ? This should get the palm of the most ridiculous setting twist in Fallout 2.
This kind of argument is pretty much on par with that guy who was unironically whining about the TV Robot not being mechanically feasible. IE: Both are utterly worthless.

I like a number of things I've read.

-A character with high Sneak being able to smuggle in weapons where you'd normally be disarmed, and it being mentioned that people with certain skills can solve a normally drawn out quest in a matter of moments.

-Companions actually having little quests and unique quirks.

-The currency system

-Even the playground that is The Strip, with its varying rules and sights sounds interesting to me. Certainly exudes more personality than the 80th subway tunnel.

People often bitch about New Reno being off-setting, but to me the greatest utter piece of bullcrap in the Fallout 2 setting is the NCR. I mean, no, it just doesn't make sense. The Fallout 1 world is an inhabited wasteland where the greatest form of social organization are gangs and some decadent sects, and then a republic spawns out of nowhere, on the very spot the lifeless craphole Shady Sands were ? This should get the palm of the most ridiculous setting twist in Fallout 2.

You can’t really nit-pick games; they all have fairly wobbly foundations. Fallout is full of holes, and even the Fallout Bible contradicts itself on more than one occasion, these are the murky waters in which we choose to swim. Of course some games are better written than others, or at least have a more solid storyline, but the original Fallout’s were collaboration between a half a dozen excellent game designers and if people started to edit out all of the questionable design decisions in Fallout 2 for instance, there will be very little left.

*Temple – gone - (Who built that!)
*Broken Hills – gone - (Mutants and humans!)
*New Reno – gone - (1930’s gangster rip-off!)
*NCR – gone - (Shady Sands = NCR!)
*Navarro – gone - (A hidden Government!)
*The Enclave - gone - (A hidden Government on an oil platform!)

Sometimes you just have to enjoy the ride and not think too deeply into the design decisions…saying that I still think Fallout 1 is the superior gaming experience, a pity its 50% too small. Bethesda and Co are opening up the Fallout cannon and expanding upon it, I personally think they are diluting the best aspects of Fallout by doing so, but they own the IP and can shit all over it and sadly there’s nothing anyone can do about it. This is just a money earner for Bethesda, the love and passion for a true gaming experience died out when games became astronomically expensive to build and the “investment” needed justification. Even Tim Cain had to justify Fallout to an uninterested Interplay; it’s a miracle this game even made it to the shops.

DemonNick said:
This kind of argument is pretty much on par with that guy who was unironically whining about the TV Robot not being mechanically feasible. IE: Both are utterly worthless.

.Pixote. said:

You can’t really nit-pick games; they all have fairly wobbly foundations. Fallout is full of holes, and even the Fallout Bible contradicts itself on more than one occasion, these are the murky waters in which we choose to swim. Of course some games are better written than others, or at least have a more solid storyline, but the original Fallout’s were collaboration between a half a dozen excellent game designers and if people started to edit out all of the questionable design decisions in Fallout 2 for instance, there will be very little left.

*Temple – gone - (Who built that!)
*Broken Hills – gone - (Mutants and humans!)
*New Reno – gone - (1930’s gangster rip-off!)
*NCR – gone - (Shady Sands = NCR!)
*Navarro – gone - (A hidden Government!)
*The Enclave - gone - (A hidden Government on an oil platform!)

You misunderstood the point of my post, so I guess I didn't make clear enough.
I'm not "nitpicking" about a small hole or incoherency in the plot, I'm talking about making the world go the exact opposite of what a post-apocalyptic setting is supposed to be, and against what makes it INTERESTING relatively to other settings. This is : anarchic and self-organised social relationships, in a context where the all-encompassing coercitive structure that the government is has completely faded.
That's also why the Enclave and the mutants must die to let the setting remain "pure" of any hegemony, but if you spawn a fucking republic and set it to expand all over the land, then you're menacing the whole foundation of the setting.

On the contrary, New Reno doesn't do that, it's completely post-apo. The enclave is a residue from the past like the vaults, so it also fit in the setting, and it's born to be destroyed whereas the NCR isn't. The temple would just be nitpicking, same for the Broken Hills (humans and mutants is not off-setting at all).

We're left with the NCR sticking out.

It's silly to say that the NCR doesn't fit the setting as established in Fallout 1 because the NCR was first established in Fallout 1's endings.

Yeah, I got the message the first time you said it. But if one can say New Reno doesn't fit in Fallout 2 setting, why couldn't I say the advent of the NCR doesn't fit in Fallout 1 setting ?

You could, but you originally referred to it as a "setting twist in Fallout 2".

Fallout 1 world is an inhabited wasteland where the greatest form of social organization are gangs and some decadent sects

The Hub was much more than that. Even if oligarchic, ruled by the trading companies, and not exactly democratic like the NCR.

That desert eagle or whatever pistol it is looks damn nice. Also is it me or the gore is slightly minimised (less blood and smaller head explosion) ?

Yes, I refered to it as a setting twist in Fallout 2 in my first post because I didn't know it was already stated in the Fallout 1 ending bits.

Would you please comment on how it changes any of the points I made, or are you just representing the memory part of your brain ?

The Hub was much more than that. Even if oligarchic, ruled by the trading companies, and not exactly democratic like the NCR.

That's better.
I guess you can make out the difference between a wobbly traders community hosting a few divergent groups, and a full fledged and technologically advanced republic looking to unify everyone under their hegemonic banner, and succeeding in it.
Tip : one is post-apo, the other is completely not
Some key words : Political unity, Social control (police), Technological means, Population, Imperialism

The Hub had a well equipped (combat armors) police force, had trading relations with pretty much every other town in Fallout 1, and was governed by a Central Council.

Arr0nax said:

Yes, I refered to it as a setting twist in Fallout 2 in my first post because I didn't know it was already stated in the Fallout 1 ending bits.

Would you please comment on how it changes any of the points I made, or are you just representing the memory part of your brain ?

That's better.
I guess you can make out the difference between a wobbly traders community hosting a few divergent groups, and a full fledged and technologically advanced republic looking to unify everyone under their hegemonic banner, and succeeding in it.
Some key words : Political unity, Social control (police), Technological means, Population, Imperialism

Exactly how long after the apocalypse does it have to be before you think people could start grouping up and forming a movement?

The Hub was a hundred years before FO2, so it's entirely possible people paid attention to the success of groupings like that, and thought 'hey, if we organized...' and built from there. 100 years is a long time, and things can change drastically.

And if the people in charge of the NCR had a eye for those with bright minds, or at the very least were good at tearing stuff apart and putting it back together, it's entirely possible they gathered up pre-war tech and built themself a functioning tech society. There were people all over the place in FO2 that could upgrade this, modify that, build you something out of scrap...so apparently there's not that great a drought of problem solvers.

.Pixote. said:
Sometimes you just have to enjoy the ride and not think too deeply into the design decisions…saying that I still think Fallout 1 is the superior gaming experience, a pity its 50% too small. Bethesda and Co are opening up the Fallout cannon and expanding upon it, I personally think they are diluting the best aspects of Fallout by doing so, but they own the IP and can shit all over it and sadly there’s nothing anyone can do about it. This is just a money earner for Bethesda, the love and passion for a true gaming experience died out when games became astronomically expensive to build and the “investment” needed justification. Even Tim Cain had to justify Fallout to an uninterested Interplay; it’s a miracle this game even made it to the shops.

The part is bold is very sad but extremely true :|

Arr0nax said:

If both were set in the same time, sure, your point would be valid. However, seeing how there's nearly a century of difference between Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, your point falls flat on its face and squeals in pain.

Both are. One is simply an earlier state of affairs.

Some key words : Political unity,

Hub had political unity. It was governed by an oligarchic Council with representatives from all the major trading companies operating in the City.

Social control (police),

Yep, Hub had that too. Sheriff Justin Greene operated a well equipped and organized police force, which adhered to laws of the Hub (which included not arresting people without proof).

Technological means,

Hub was arguably the most advanced settlement in 2161, with the exception of the Brotherhood. A supply of water and food, city walls, well organized caravans...

Population,

Hub has quite a lot of population. Enough for distinct social classes to emerge.

Imperialism

Economical imperialism, yeah. For instance, the Hub exploited Adytum, using their position as a sole supplier of raw materials for ammuntion manufacturing.

Who said Fallout needs to be strictly post-apo anyway? The franchise needs to move on and staying at the same level of development for years ain't exactly that fun, if you ask me.

I find it very interesting to see how world puts itself back into one piece after a nuclear war, so the reconstruction theme of Fallout 2 suits me pretty well.

Not that the shit can't hit the fan again, if need be. Van Buren would do that.

Thanks, Brother None!
This really made my day. I'm probably just gonna print out the number "3" and glue it to the New Vegas case. Just for the hell of it.

Back