Game Informer Fallout: New Vegas preview scans

Brother None said:
It's not the armor that does it, it's the skirts. Though I suppose they're practical in the heat?

In the heat and in all those outdoorsman activities legionnaires engage in, like raping villagers and crapping in the desert.

In other news,
J.E.Sawyer said:
He's actually a pre-war person who specialized in robotics and research into extending human life. So he was in stasis for several hundred years, and then woke up.

So, mr. House is a cyborg?

MKSaibot said:
All I know is I will not be wearing any Caeser's Legion gear . . .

Ever . . .

Same... well maybe if someone makes a version with trousers. :P

At least Caeser's Legion are interesting which is something, the Fallout 3 slavers were so generic I keep forgetting they exist.

MrBumble said:
My belief is that to judge a given piece of Fallout design, you have to ask yourself : would that fit in Fallout 1 ?

That's a stupid philosophy. New Vegas is set more than a century after Fallout 1. That alone means things change.

I tend to agree on that one. The timeline becomes a bit too long in years. And if Bethesda really just wants to move forward and never look back... it will go on and on and on, until we are at a point where it either doesn't make any sense anymore or is just silly.

Holy crap!! I remember talking with someone in another post about how good it would be to have different currencies and how unlikely it would be for such a thing with exchange rates and all to happen.... AND IT HAZ HEPPENED!!

Dionysus said:
Ausir said:
Dumb dialogue is back (in a way)!
We knew that from the first round of previews.

And Caesar's Legion does look pretty silly. I'm a little surprised that Sawyer decided to go all the way with them.

The Legion was created out of Sawyer's love for Roman times, society and culture. I remember that he once said something about having a remotely Roman like faction in Van Buren was just a personal thing to him, a sort of pet project. You can find the correct quote somewhere at The Vault, can't find it right now. In all fairness there are tons of Roman like paraphernalia in Vegas, it's a weird place...

I would prefer a Desert People or Deranged Atomic Troopers from the experiments in the region, or something from Escape from LA, but maybe in the end it becomes an interesting faction, with silly costumes, I could live with that...

Lexx said:
I tend to agree on that one. The timeline becomes a bit too long in years. And if Bethesda really just wants to move forward and never look back... it will go on and on and on, until we are at a point where it either doesn't make any sense anymore or is just silly.

Star Wars games can pull off long timeline's pretty well like KOTOR and the Old Republic MMO, but that's Star Wars lol.

39 years after Fallout 2 though isn't that bad, but it makes Fallout 1 look ancient.

MKSaibot said:
39 years after Fallout 2 though isn't that bad, but it makes Fallout 1 look ancient.

which does a great job explaining the difference in tone between the first game and the rest...

Briosafreak said:
The Legion was created out of Sawyer's love for Roman times, society and culture. I remember that he once said something about having a remotely Roman like faction in Van Buren was just a personal thing to him, a sort of pet project. You can find the correct quote somewhere at The Vault, can't find it right now. In all fairness there are tons of Roman like paraphernalia in Vegas, it's a weird place...

Wasn't it made up originally by Avellone for his PnP campaign that became Van Buren?

Thing is, if for example Fallout 4 or 5 is three hundred years after the War and things still are like they are in Bethesda's Fallout 3; small locations with only a handful of people that can barely survive until the player comes by, than the universe has become freaking retarded,

Personally I think there should be a fixed history limit; the PA theme can only be handled for two, three centuries after the War, after that the newly established governments like the NCR and who knows what else have been busy rebuilding and reuniting the country, and that similar events take place over the rest of the world.

That may sound limiting to some but it doesn't have to.
Sequels or Spin Offs could take place during the time period of other games but set in complete different regions that are not affected by the events of other games.

Of the jumps in time in the games go from decades to a couple of years like in Fallout New Vegas' case.

Any game that would have taken place on the East Coast in a period in which people were only slowly starting to rebuild should have been around the same period Fallout 1 takes place.
But that would eliminate the use of factions like the Brotherhood of Steel and the Enclave who could not be present at the East Coast at the time.
I don't think Bethesda would be capable of doing that as they are to fixated on those two organizations.

Brother None said:
Tagaziel said:
New Vegas is set more than a century after Fallout 1.

One could argue it shouldn't be.
One could argue, but it would be an incredibly stupid argument. There's literally no reason to orient everything around Fallout 1, especially considering how poorly Fallout 1 has aged in a lot of respects.

In addition, one could also argue that most people who appeal to Fallout 1 are judging their opinions of what people look like off of their sprites or talking heads, and not on the actual descriptions that show up in the UI, or that the rebuilding shown in FO2 and New Vegas has more to do with the franchise's alleged Post-Nuclear themes than wallowing in post-apocalyptia and is way more interesting than retreading the same territory as 1, which was frankly pretty tired by the end of Fallout 1.

The Dutch Ghost said:
Personally I think there should be a fixed history limit; the PA theme can only be handled for two, three centuries after the War, after that the newly established governments like the NCR and who knows what else have been busy rebuilding and reuniting the country, and that similar events take place over the rest of the world.

Speaking about "one could argue"...
We could argue about the credibility of large social structures being reconstructed as fast as they did in Fallout 2.
Chaos and anarchy after a nuclear war could be much more resilient than that.

People often bitch about New Reno being off-setting, but to me the greatest utter piece of bullcrap in the Fallout 2 setting is the NCR. I mean, no, it just doesn't make sense. The Fallout 1 world is an inhabited wasteland where the greatest form of social organization are gangs and some decadent sects, and then a republic spawns out of nowhere, on the very spot the lifeless craphole Shady Sands were ? This should get the palm of the most ridiculous setting twist in Fallout 2.

After all New Reno is much more fidel to the background of Fallout 1 : gangs fighting at each other to impose their law on a piece of desolated land and accumulate as much warranties of survival as they can

By that take, the Unity, the Enclave, the Calculator, or Dr Presper would have been the best thing that could happen to the wasteland, seeing as they were the only ones around who actually had a plan.

There is of course that thing of wanting to turn all humans into mutants, sterilizing them, or just outright kill them.

People often bitch about New Reno being off-setting, but to me the greatest utter piece of bullcrap in the Fallout 2 setting is the NCR. I mean, no, it just doesn't make sense. The Fallout 1 world is an inhabited wasteland where the greatest form of social organization are gangs and some decadent sects, and then a republic spawns out of nowhere, on the very spot the lifeless craphole Shady Sands were ? This should get the palm of the most ridiculous setting twist in Fallout 2.

Actually, it wasn't a twist in Fallout 2. The NCR was first mentioned in one of the possible Fallout 1 endings for Shady Sands.

Arr0nax said:
The Dutch Ghost said:

Speaking about "one could argue"...
We could argue about the credibility of large social structures being reconstructed as fast as they did in Fallout 2.
Chaos and anarchy after a nuclear war could be much more resilient than that.

After all New Reno is much more fidel to the background of Fallout 1 : gangs fighting at each other to impose their law on a piece of desolated land and accumulate as much warranties of survival as they can

better see again the endings of Shady in F1, you will see that the idea of NCR was before F2 and how that happend

edit: damn Ausir, i didnt see your post

Tagaziel said:
Brother None said:
Tagaziel said:
New Vegas is set more than a century after Fallout 1.

One could argue it shouldn't be.

I'm among those people. But fact is, it's set that far off in the future, so things are bound to be different.

Equating time passed with societal change as an absolute concept is fallacy.

Today's world, the last 200 years, the world you've lived in your entire life, has seen a lot of change. And not for the reason most people imagine. This period of time is rather unique from a Universal standpoint.

Long stretches of time have passed (in the past) with little change to the structure of society or its technology.

At any rate, it's a game. They can make up whatever they want. Why not? Most of "reality" is made-up - the news, orchestrated events, depressions, wars, etc.

Back