Gamerant: Why Fallout 5 Could Be Set in China

Discussion in 'Future Fallout Game Discussion' started by Proletären, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Proletären

Proletären Vault Dweller

Mar 15, 2012
    I just read some article on Gamerant that argues for Fallout 5 being set in China:

I would probably not go into that territory. I would like to keep my Fallout world small and regional. I like how a story can play out in a minor part of the US and be totally disconnected from the rest of America. It's nice to have a world that is not "global" if you understand what I mean and where politics is regional. If you brought China into Fallout then the world would suddenly feel global again and be about big politics instead of the balance of power in a smaller, self-contained region.

2. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    A Fallout in China would not make sense. Fallout involves a lot of American and is set in a retro future as imagined by people in the US during the 50s.

And, the CCP one way or another would insist that the game would be friendly towards the party.

I think most of China would probably return to what it was before the Mao and the CCP arose, breaking up in various fiefdoms and perhaps only being a handful of communists left.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  3. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Non Binary Revenant Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005
    Not going to happen...yet.

4. Aurelius Of Phoenix

Aurelius Of Phoenix Psued.

Mar 9, 2018
    If they will it'll probably be an inverse of the boringly uber-patriotic (not really! *wink**wink*) US propaganda in 3 & 4 only it won't have any teeth and just be sucking CCP micro penis so their game doesn't get banned. Not like they haven't dropped their trousers and bent over for it making that super special Fallout Shelter: Chinese Edition.

(WARNING: This video was created by a Soulless Automaton, guard your essence lest it be taken from you)​

5. The Dutch Ghost

Jan 11, 2004
    Fallout honestly feels violated.

6. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Seems appropriate.
    Because... isn't that what Fallout is these days? :drummer:

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  7. The Dutch Ghost

Jan 11, 2004
    It is a series designed by committees based on marketing research. Living beings but practically soulless.

Eventually programmers will be able to make AI routines that can accomplish the same and are much cheaper.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  8. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Yesterday I saw someone posting somewhere (reddit or steam, I can't remember) that FNV feels too much like a western and that they prefer their Fallout to be like FO3. I had to explain that Fallout was always a sci-fi western series since the first one, and that removing that from Fallout would be removing a big part of what this game series is all about.

9. The Dutch Ghost

Jan 11, 2004
    Another "fan" who thinks that he or she knows what Fallout is about after they only played Bethesda's entry.

And they will of course respond that it is up to Bethesda to decide what Fallout should be like because they now own the IP.

I would not be able to defend a lot of the ex Black Isle people and say that they know what Fallout is suppose to be as we have seen plenty of creators of IPs these days deciding that their creation(s) should be changed.

Fans are sometimes the best thing that can happen to a creation and the worst thing that can happen to a creation.

I would not bother talking to such people any more Risewild, it is a waste of your precious time and energy.

10. Morgan_

Morgan_ Putz

Jul 3, 2020
    Fallout: British Columbia