General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

C&C decade box is proving quite an usefull investment. Playing Red Alert 2 again. Played through Red Alert and Tiberian Dawn.

Reconite said:
Been playing a bit of Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders and am loving it.

2.png

I've never actually got into it properly until recently.

1.png

It's a very good game, especially because of how they've managed to fit so much stuff on the Doom engine. Doom being one of my favourite games, there's no doubt why I love this so much. Definitely gonna play Hexen after.

Screenshot_Heretic_20100221_234615.png

I really have to praise Raven for such great level design, compare the housing and buildings to those seen in Doom II and you can clearly see where id Software went wrong with the "Hell on Earth" thing. Doom II's level design disappointed me quite a bit now that I think about it. The way Raven have made some of the houses, windows, doors and stairways is exceptional for such an early game.

Screenshot_Heretic_20100222_003800.png

Item usage is also another great thing about Heretic, totally new to the genre by this time. I feel Doom II would have benefited greatly from a system like this, because in the end it just felt too much like a Doom mod - different skybox, different levels (trying to imitate Earth housing, but really sucked), Super Shotgun and new enemies. And this was released only 2-3 months after Doom II.

Thankfully, Team TNT and the Casali Brothers fixed my problems with Doom II's level design in Final Doom. I loved the music in that too. :wink:

Holy crap, didn't notice this post ! Heretic is a great game, no doubt about it. I really liked Hexen too, I would say its worth playing. The graphics in Hexen might seem to be bit more crude though.
I love a lot of the 90's early 2000's games, even though I played many of them for the first time recently.

Patton89 said:
Holy crap, didn't notice this post !
Yeah, it was bad luck of me to post it right at the bottom of the last page. That is how things get missed easily on a forum. :wink:

Patton89 said:
Heretic is a great game, no doubt about it. I really liked Hexen too, I would say its worth playing. The graphics in Hexen might seem to be bit more crude though.
I've noticed that about Hexen's graphics when I played co-op briefly with some friends on Skulltag. The game still kicks severe amounts of ass but I want to finish Heretic before properly getting into that. Another thing about Heretic is that it's a really fresh and colourful experience (and that ain't a bad thing) after playing through the likes of Doom, Doom II and Wolfenstein 3D, which are in general kind of dreary (well, hell and nazis, what was I expecting?).

Heretic holds a nice balance of mythical creatures and colourful scenery; the skyboxes in the game are great too. I love the skybox of The Dome of D'Sparil when you just look up and can see the inside of the dome. I remember when I played the Shareware as a kid, I was fascinated to see water in a Doom-like game and not toxic sludge. :lol:

Patton89 said:
I love a lot of the 90's early 2000's games, even though I played many of them for the first time recently.
Pretty much the same for me, too.

You guys know about Doomsday Engine right?

With Doomsday Engine and the right high resolution packs Heretic can look like this or even better

staff7.jpg

Back on topic, just finished playing Delta Force Xtreme 2, I still have to finish Rainbow Six Lockdown and might start playing Mass Effect 1 or Dragon Age, depending on which one i buy.

Been playing Cabal Online and L4D.
Played some levels of Future Cop LAPD before that but deleted it already.

Going to buy Bayonetta for PS3 in some days, since i got a bargain for it, while i'm waiting for Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition and Final Fantasy XIII.

BR4ZIL said:
You guys know about Doomsday Engine right?

With Doomsday Engine and the right high resolution packs Heretic can look like this or even better

http://media.moddb.com/images/downloads/1/10/9628/staff7.jpg[img][/quote]
Yeah I know about all the 3D engines for stuff like this, Doomsday and Risen 3D work with Doom as well. But to be honest I prefer the sprites, it gives it a much more classic feel. And I don't even think the PC I'm playing on now could even handle that stuff, it's a fairly primitive Dell. [b]Really[/b] need to get a new PC. I'm saving up for one but have only £362 so far. I honestly prefer 2D sprited FPS games to flashy 3D graphics ones though, so I'm good with what I've got for now.

GreyViper said:
Reconite funny you should mention Doom with item use. While Tube surfing I ran into Æons of Death. http://zdoom.org/wiki/Aeons_of_death

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1waHg-ttcuU[youtube]
And yeah, I know all about mods on the ZDoom source port and etc., and I'm pretty familiar with mods which utilize item use. I was talking about Doom II vanilla, it was pretty plain and had some bad mapwork compared to Heretic.

PainlessDocM said:

A very cool game, shame I never got myself to finish it. Sometimes it isn't very obvious what's the next step to progress. I remember being stuck in a part where the dude entered a palace, and had to run from a small army of the orc-like dudes chasing him, I always got stuck behind two doors while they shot them open, without knowing what to do.

You can't just say "Civ IV"!

What difficulty are you playing? What victory are you going for? Which civ have you chosen to best suit your playing style? People want to know!

I play Prince; I usually go for space race victory, with the Germans (Bismarck). When I feel like going on a conquest campaign I pick the Aztec's, diplomatic, I try to stick with the Spanish.

I don't always win, but it certainly always ends up close.

I find myself most comfortable with prince too, or sometimes monarch. I've never gone for space race actually... mostly domination, though I don't really try to get a good score too hard. Then I play Japansese or some civ with free combat I, or whatever it's called.

Once I went for cultural victory, which was kind of special I think. I played a civ with starting techs appropriate for bee-lining the early religions to get most of the religious "wonders", plus the great person growth thingie, then tried to get as many +% culture wonders in three main cities and when the time was right, maxed out the culture slider. The AI got really aggressive a few turns before I made the switch, but it was fun.

Never had much luck with diplomatic... I always end up with an AI with religious friends and I'm too reluctant to give away tech for free.

Replayed Half-life 1 and 2 and the episodes. And Portal.
Now I am wondering why Valve is not getting around making Half-life 2 episode 3.
Might start playing Team Fortress 2 next.

Back