General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Dante's Inferno.

It is...interesting, to say the least. Especially if you have ever read the Divine Comedy or The Inferno in particular.

It is a shameless God of War rip off, that much is clear. The issue being that unlike God of War with every game having great pace and build up Dante's Inferno throws it all out in the first few hours and then the later part of the game is very "meh".

The combat is pretty easy to get the hang of (God of War is definitely more challenging) and the puzzles are incredibly simple. The story is average at best and yet again something God of War completely roflstomps it in.

The main redeeming part of this game I would say you should rent it for is the atmosphere and scenery. It is pretty cool at first to get to see each circle of Hell and how the dammned are being punished. Meeting famous historical sinners and judging them is also a bit cool.

Definitely worth a rent as I said before, I cannot recommend dropping $60 on it. It is also worth a note that you could easily get 100% the Trophies/Achievements with three or so days on this game.

Stalker Clear Sky, vanilla, patched up to ver. 10, with Ukrainian patch. Needless to say, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. And I'm thus far failing to understand why there's so much hate for the game, aside for the initial buggy release.

Bal-Sagoth said:
Dante's Inferno.

It is...interesting, to say the least. Especially if you have ever read the Divine Comedy or The Inferno in particular.
Saw the movie recently, and read the book when I was still in school.

Can't say I liked the movie much. Full of pointless heroics and whatnot.

Anyhow, I can't think of any reason why the game would be better than the movie, especially as a God of War clone. I'll just pass on that and keep the book's memory alive rather than befouling it with another travesty, thank you very much.

Torchlight, about a half hour a day. Hard to find a game that fits well into that kind of gaming schedule. Torchlight is perfect for it.

Misteryo

SuAside said:
I'll just pass on that and keep the book's memory alive rather than befouling it with another travesty, thank you very much.

Idem

Replaying Uplink, still a great atmospheric and at times challenging cyberpunk game. .
+
It reminds me of Syndicate Wars which is always a good thing. :-)

Uplink_box_art.jpg

Professor Danger! said:
sydney_roo said:
I just finished Downfall. The horror point-and-click indie game created by 2 guys. What a great game. I encourage everyone to check it out. The story is simply amazing. The game is really creepy, I tell ya.

Is this new or old. I've never heard of it. Well, except for the amazing film with the same name.

I think its relatively new. You can check it out right here: http://www.direct2drive.com/8021/product/Buy-Downfall-Download
I found demo version here: http://www.fileplay.net/file/5176/downfall-demo

Ausdoerrt said:
Stalker Clear Sky, vanilla, patched up to ver. 10, with Ukrainian patch. Needless to say, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. And I'm thus far failing to understand why there's so much hate for the game, aside for the initial buggy release.
1. People were disappointed about the lack of underground sections, and general failure to recapture the same atmosphere as the first game.
2. They removed some of the survival aspects of the first game, totally removed not just disabled making them hard to mod back in.
3. The majority of the game takes place in the same areas of the first game and several of the new areas are placed in the linear end part of the game. Which doesn't allow for exploration.
4. That there's a linear end game at all (and this is a much longer part of the game than ShoC).
5. The faction wars are broken and you are given many jobs that you are just too far away to reach in time.
6. They changed the endurance and speed of the character, which doesn't help with point 5.
7. Certain unavoidable scripted parts of the game really pissed people off.
8. The new upgrade system meant they changed the ballistics, making unmodified weapons really crap. Allowing for stupidity like shooting a guy (in just a hoodie) in the back of the head at point blank range and having shrug it off and turn around and shoot you dead.
9. The faction wars didn't fit in with the storyline and perhaps should have been a seperate game mode.
10. It was fairly unbalanced, for instance you could get the best detector and one of the best armours in the first area.

Well at least those are my reasons.

requiem_for_a_starfury said:
Ausdoerrt said:
8. The new upgrade system meant they changed the ballistics, making unmodified weapons really crap. Allowing for stupidity like shooting a guy (in just a hoodie) in the back of the head at point blank range and having shrug it off and turn around and shoot you dead.
I never had that problem, played on veteren and used an unmodded thunder s14 or vla spec ass rifle most of the game.

I also used the SIG alot.

@ requiem:

1. Yeah, those were cool, I can see that. Although within the setting of the game it makes sense, since nobody except those involved (and mostly now dead) knew about the labs until Strilets came in, so at least it's consistent with the plot.
2. Umm, like what? You still need to eat, and if anything you run out of bandages faster than usual. I do anyway. Plus, searching for artifacts got a little harder. There's now blowouts to hide from on a regular basis. etc
3. Sure, agreed on this one. Except the last part - despite the areas being "the same", the placement of events, enemies and anomalies isn't, so you can explore parts of the game unavailable in SoC.
4. Not there yet, will see what I think about it. Will probably hate the ending just like SoC.
5. It's not like you HAVE to do all the jobs. If I'm intent to help, I somehow manage to arrive before the offensive party. What does piss me off is that sometimes when you're waiting for "reinforcements" they never arrive.
6. No comment, didn't feel the difference.
7. I'm assuming you're withholding spoilers. I'll have to see if I run into any events like this.
8. Haven't had a problem with it. If anything, it added more variety; it's not like modding weapons is expensive or difficult, so you'd want to do it anyway. Even enemies have modded weapons.
9. Dolg vs Volya war was in SoC. Bandits in SoC were just aggro by default, while in CS you can actually join, which is a plus. I guess military vs stalkers is somewhat far-fetched, but can't say unthinkable. I wonder what everyone hates about faction wars, I actually enjoy them?
10. Oww, you can get APA in Fallout2 in first 5 minutes of the game. So I guess it's extremely unbalanced, too. SoC had a plenty of "secrets" like that, too, but just like in CS none of them are in-your-face and require either extensive exploration ot prior knowledge from outside sources to find them. I didn't get Veles until I bought it in Agroprom because I'm not using a walkthrough, and I'm not sure which armor stash you're talking about.

Ausdoerrt said:
2. Umm, like what? You still need to eat, and if anything you run out of bandages faster than usual. I do anyway. Plus, searching for artifacts got a little harder. There's now blowouts to hide from on a regular basis. etc
You don't need to eat, you can eat but you don't need to unless you've totally run out of bandages and medical kits. The blowouts weren't implemented very well compared to those in some of the mods for ShoC.

Ausdoerrt said:
3. Sure, agreed on this one. Except the last part - despite the areas being "the same", the placement of events, enemies and anomalies isn't, so you can explore parts of the game unavailable in SoC.
The amount of extra territory you can explore isn't that much and most of it is rather uninteresting.

Ausdoerrt said:
5. It's not like you HAVE to do all the jobs. If I'm intent to help, I somehow manage to arrive before the offensive party. What does piss me off is that sometimes when you're waiting for "reinforcements" they never arrive.
You don't have to do them no, but when you are starting out trying to scavenge enough money for a decent gun, armour and a few upgrades it's annoying as hell that they self complete or even worse get cancelled after you've done the job but before you can collect your reward. And without the jobs there isn't that much to the game.

Ausdoerrt said:
7. I'm assuming you're withholding spoilers. I'll have to see if I run into any events like this.
Well if you are out of the first area then you've already run into one of them, and the other has been partially patched out due to complaints.

Ausdoerrt said:
8. Haven't had a problem with it. If anything, it added more variety; it's not like modding weapons is expensive or difficult, so you'd want to do it anyway. Even enemies have modded weapons.
This is part of the survival thing, in vanilla ShoC when your good armour and weapons wore out or were destroyed you had no choice but to use what you could scavenge until you could reach one of the few traders (assuming you had the money). But in CS you can get them repaired for a fraction of the cost and there's a trader and technician in nearly every area.

Ausdoerrt said:
9. Dolg vs Volya war was in SoC. Bandits in SoC were just aggro by default, while in CS you can actually join, which is a plus. I guess military vs stalkers is somewhat far-fetched, but can't say unthinkable. I wonder what everyone hates about faction wars, I actually enjoy them?
The war was still going on but ShoC's storyline is a lot more slower paced so it didn't conflict, but Clear Sky's storyline is a chase. It doesn't fit together, it would of been much better to do the storyline and then have the faction wars as freeplay afterwards.

Ausdoerrt said:
10. Oww, you can get APA in Fallout2 in first 5 minutes of the game. So I guess it's extremely unbalanced, too. SoC had a plenty of "secrets" like that, too, but just like in CS none of them are in-your-face and require either extensive exploration ot prior knowledge from outside sources to find them. I didn't get Veles until I bought it in Agroprom because I'm not using a walkthrough, and I'm not sure which armor stash you're talking about.
It's not a stash, it becomes available to buy once you've gained enough reputation with Clear Sky, and you should easily be able to afford it and to get it and a weapon partially upgraded before going to the Cordon. Besides it's a totally different thing to find a powerful item when exploring the opening area of a game and running flat out to a late game area that you know about from a previous game or walkthrough.

All in all people where probably pissed off because Clear Sky wasn't what they were expecting and given the amount of extra material or lack of it should have been an add on rather than a full game.

I am playing MAG currently and it is masterful. A lot of people thought the 256 player battles would be a gimmick but honestly they are not. You are free to go where ever you want, nothing is blocked off. You could have all 256 people stand in the same area if you really wanted to.

Communication and teamwork is key, thankfully they have it broken down pretty easy for everyone to get the gist of.

You got your Squad Leads,Platoon Leads, and Officers in Charge. Squad leads call targets and tell the grunts what to do, which basic structure to attack and so on.

Platoon leads are over 4 squads and tell the Squad Leads what to do.

Officers in charge are over 128 players, or 4 platoons and are able to talk to everyone at once over mic, calling out when he is about to do a special ability or something along those lines.

Each lead has certain abilities that they can call in provided conditions are met but I will not get into that. Who gets lead is determined first by level to get Squad Lead and after that you level up as a leader until you take on the other roles.

You may think it turns out into a jumbled fragfest but it works incredibly well and with next to no lag, how they pulled that one off is beyond me.

Anyone with a PS3 and who is a fan of FPS games should definitely check it out, it is an awesome game.

I am replaying TES: Morrowind, in the hopes of yet finishing it unlike last time, so all is good and I can say I have many dozens of playing hours ahead of me. Friggin' big game.

Been playing a bit of Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders and am loving it.

2.png

I've never actually got into it properly until recently.

1.png

It's a very good game, especially because of how they've managed to fit so much stuff on the Doom engine. Doom being one of my favourite games, there's no doubt why I love this so much. Definitely gonna play Hexen after.

Screenshot_Heretic_20100221_234615.png

I really have to praise Raven for such great level design, compare the housing and buildings to those seen in Doom II and you can clearly see where id Software went wrong with the "Hell on Earth" thing. Doom II's level design disappointed me quite a bit now that I think about it. The way Raven have made some of the houses, windows, doors and stairways is exceptional for such an early game.

Screenshot_Heretic_20100222_003800.png

Item usage is also another great thing about Heretic, totally new to the genre by this time. I feel Doom II would have benefited greatly from a system like this, because in the end it just felt too much like a Doom mod - different skybox, different levels (trying to imitate Earth housing, but really sucked), Super Shotgun and new enemies. And this was released only 2-3 months after Doom II.

Thankfully, Team TNT and the Casali Brothers fixed my problems with Doom II's level design in Final Doom. I loved the music in that too. :wink:

Back