General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Completely agree with you, Sea. Might want to wait fo a Steam sale, they are a least competent enough to not have that problem, and you need Steam to play anyway (and the DL is 1KB, it's just a text file that unlocks CR content)

Shame, because the campaign is quite good and long and Chaos is a very fun multiplayer faction, even if very few people will play DOW2 vanilla now that Steamworks has replaced that GFWL piece of feces.

I'm so incredibly happy they got rid of GFWL. It had one of the worst match-finders ever, I can't think of one single time where I actually got randomly paired with someone from the same country. Being in the US, I'd always get paired with guys deep in Europe who connected with practically unplayable 400-500 pings for whatever great reason.

Anyway, beat the regular DoWII campaign finally and have gotten a bit into Chaos Rising now, very good stuff so far, with the whole corruption mechanic. I think I'm gonna run Loyalist the first time through. The first few missions were a little rough because I had to make do with this kinda standard gear they gave me, since your Terminator armor isn't instantly usable again, since it was damaged during the big final fight of DoWII.

A bit later when I got it repaired though, I got the old team back together, FC in teleporter Terminator armor, Tarkus in his Terminator set + veterans (Now Sternguard too), Thaddeus rocking the Thunder hammer & Storm shield in his Terminator set + Assault veterans, plus [spoiler:7fe1e2948b]DreadThule.[/spoiler:7fe1e2948b] Then when I got a 4th set, I brought in Avitus with a powerful assault cannon. I've been mostly rolling through missions after that, with my full deployment of high-powered Terminators. :lol:

I can't wait for Retribution to come out. I wish they'd open partial campaign or The Last Stand in beta though, I've never been much of a MP person with RTS. Only big problem I have with Retribution so far is the voice-acting, the IG are all good, being fresh voices, but the old voice-actors had to re-record *all* their lines due to some kind of union thing, making some of the existing factions just sound wonky.

The new Space Marine FC sounds like he has a hard time saying Marines properly (Marwheens) and the Marines themselves sound too tinny and robotic now. The Orks are mostly fine. The Chaos Sorcerer sounds high or just too mellow now, he lost all the zeal he had in CR, while the Heretics smuggled all that emotion and sound a bit more fanatical and the Chaos Lord just sounds like he doesn't care as much. Tyranids got rid of the tutorial lady voice informing about things and got some new growly animal voice. The Eldar apparently don't sound as determined as before, but I wouldn't know, I can't stand the Eldar. :D

Alphadrop said:
Hoxie said:
The new Space Marine FC sounds like he has a hard time saying Marines properly (Marwheens) and the Marines themselves sound too tinny and robotic now.

Well Commander's inability to pronounce Space Marine properly is well documented.

Here's a little bit of comparison for some of the new voices. The Warboss sounds mostly fine, I preferred the old Chaos Lord lines, but the Sorcerer is just egh, like I said he sounds too chilled out.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MaVQzRG8lo[/youtube]

Thinking of Boreale. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeCfod1XT7E[/youtube]

Also [spoiler:48e0c0ba39]RHINOS, RHIIIINOOOOS~ OUR ENEMIES HIDE IN METAL BAWKSES~ :D [/spoiler:48e0c0ba39]

Bad_Karma said:
Lately i'm playing a bit of Mount & Blade Warbands with some mods. I really like that game. I'm still not sure if i should buy the next 'addon', though.
I heard it's a little like Darklands, gameplaywise. Do you recommend it?

got Magicka last night and it's pretty damn awesome. only playing solo so far, but a friend is installing right now so hopefully we'll spend the rest of the night playing.

Hassknecht said:
Bad_Karma said:
Lately i'm playing a bit of Mount & Blade Warbands with some mods. I really like that game. I'm still not sure if i should buy the next 'addon', though.
I heard it's a little like Darklands, gameplaywise. Do you recommend it?

Well i would say there are some similarities. As both have no defined end and are about a somewhat realisitic medieval world. I haven't played Darklands so much, so i can't really compare both that much.
I would recommend trying the demo or if you've the possiblity the game itself before you buy it. If you like the fighting in the demo it might be something for you - otherwise i wouldn't recommend it.

It got a lot of features which aren't so deep as they sound. Because in it's heart it's really what it names implies - a '1st/3rd person' game about riding a horse and fighting with a weapon - it's great in that terms. Not to forget that one can hire and train different troops from the empires which are quite a bit different , and you can buy a lot of different weapons, armors and such - so again battles are great.
You've got character development, because there's a underlying level system for characters and skills, and it's somewhat meaningful, so it's not too bad, but now to some other features:
You can trade or even own a buisness, but that part ist quite shallow and didn't add too much for me. Especially because there's - as far as i'm aware - no way to gain more power through trading as buying more troops from the money you get from it. The worst about trading , for me, is that you can get much more faster money if you're battling bandits and such. Not to forget that you can gain quicker money by fighting and if you don't loose too much troops they and you will level much faster.
You can join and empire or built your own, but it's not really about strategy or something like that, it only seems as if you need to battle more that way and do bigger battles with more soldiers involved. That's because there's also not that much of diplomacy in the game.
With Warbands you got the option to marry some lady/lord, but beside being forced to join their empire and becoming a knight that way, it doesn't really add much and isn't really fun to try to win the heart of the lady/lord.
There are a few quests but they aren't really too good - because they're really generic...
The multiplayer hase i think 3 game-modes : deam-deathmatch, deathmatch or conquering a castle - but it's quite fun, if you've now problem with being butchered by experienced players ;)

So overall it's also comparable with Pirates! because you can fight for some empire, you don't have a real goal. You might be able to trade, but it's more focused on fighting.

So as said you should try the demo or the game itself (because the demo is somewhat short - it ends as soon as you reach level 7 ) and if you like the fighting, you might want to buy it.

aenemic said:
got Magicka last night and it's pretty damn awesome. only playing solo so far, but a friend is installing right now so hopefully we'll spend the rest of the night playing.

Playing with a friend or two is a lot less frustrating than playing solo, since in solo any accidental death results in a gameover and return to last checkpoint. In short, the game's poorly balanced for SP. MP is great though.

Figured I'd bite the bullet and give Invisible War a try, after putting off the playthrough for a while.

After about 40 minutes of patching, hex editing to make the fucking thing run at 1920x1080 (the default res caps out at 1280x1024), and installing the awesome texture pack; I got in the game.

Then my eyes exploded, because the UI is all kinds of fucked up. I don't know what they were thinking when they ditched the sleek and functional UI of the first game and replaced it with this retarded circular monstrosity.

The entire thing reeks of console port, and everything from the first game was gutted. It's actually comical in some ways, like how every gun uses the same type of ammunition. I'll still play through it though, just to see how the story pans out.

I enjoyed playing through Assassins Creed II, now I'm trying to play Assassins Creed I but I can't seem 'to get into it'.

PainlessDocM said:
I enjoyed playing through Assassins Creed II, now I'm trying to play Assassins Creed I but I can't seem 'to get into it'.

It's because II holds the story tighter throughout the game, it keeps you reminded of what's going on and what you're trying to do. While in I the story started losing lots of steam about halfway through all the big targets, then popped back up suddenly on the last few targets.

I have only played for about 2 hours. Love the setting and atmosphere but indeed the story is fragmented by menial tasks like eavesdropping etc.

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude said:
Figured I'd bite the bullet and give Invisible War a try, after putting off the playthrough for a while.

After about 40 minutes of patching, hex editing to make the fucking thing run at 1920x1080 (the default res caps out at 1280x1024), and installing the awesome texture pack; I got in the game.

Then my eyes exploded, because the UI is all kinds of fucked up. I don't know what they were thinking when they ditched the sleek and functional UI of the first game and replaced it with this retarded circular monstrosity.

The entire thing reeks of console port, and everything from the first game was gutted. It's actually comical in some ways, like how every gun uses the same type of ammunition. I'll still play through it though, just to see how the story pans out.

The best part is how you can only carry so much, and that thirty rounds for an assault rifle is like three shots for a shotgun.

Dawn o' War just got hit by the midweek madness so Chaos Rising is half price at the moment.

Boo ya.

Still go to slog through the Vanilla Campaign first, gah Space Mary Sues are boring.

I'm playing so many games I've had to come up with a system to make sure I get to play them all frequently enough.

Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas (replaying the first two, of course), Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword 2, Machinarium, Blazblue Continuum Shift, Deadly Premonition, Arham Asylum, Anachronox, Divine Divinity, Caesar III, Age of Wonders, Planescape Torment (replaying), Arcanum, Myst Uru, Dreamfall, Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Betrayal at Krondor. Phew!

After this I really need to limit how many games I end up playing at once.

Export said:
Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas (replaying the first two, of course), Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword 2, Machinarium, Blazblue Continuum Shift, Deadly Premonition, Arham Asylum, Anachronox, Divine Divinity, Caesar III, Age of Wonders, Planescape Torment (replaying), Arcanum, Myst Uru, Dreamfall, Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Betrayal at Krondor. Phew!

HOW?! AT THE SAME TIME!!!
Seriously, I still haven't completed The Witcher I started 4 months ago...and that's the game on "top" of my list.

^ Weakling :roll: Witcher takes a couple of days to complete, a week tops. It's also possible to play a lot of games at once, but I usually prefer to limit it to 1-2 and switch them more often, cause then the games keep my attention longer.

Blazblue Continuum Shift

Dang it, I wish they released a PC version for that (instead of that horrible-quality pirated rip). Calamity Trigger was quite a blast to play.

Divine Divinity

You should def. try Divinity2 DKS once you finish this one.

The new Double Fine game, Stacking!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsrAIe2xWpU[/youtube]

Tim Schafer is my hero.

Back