General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

PainlessDocM said:
Playing Company of Heroes and its expansions.

Excellent game, I hope Relic makes a sequel in the near future.

A game that's similar is World in Conflict, if you need to scratch the itch with something else.

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. Was planning on giving Men of war a go after this game.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzISDtcZ72k[/youtube]

Reminds me of Heroes of world war II a game I loved to play on my old shitty pentium 4.

Anyone here remembers WWI: The Great War (or at least knows about it)?
It's not a particularly good game, though there aren't many WWI games around...

If you are into flightsims you should check out Rise of flight. Beautiful WW1 sim.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywug11nLFfg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLQtBV73ofM[/youtube]

That game does look amazing.
Yeah, the only good WWI games are flight sims.
And maybe Battlefield 1918.

I just started playing Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword. Not much improvement over Warband but still fun, and not many games are set in that time period so it's interesting.

I absolutely adore Company of Heroes (it's literally the game that got me into PC gaming, and the only RTS I played somewhat competitively) and really liked World in Conflict, but imo Men of War went so much towards realism that it becomes tedious and a bit unfun.

Also, rumours abound that Company of Heroes 2 is indeed the next Relic game, coming out in 2012. Of course, rumours are just that, but they were right about DOW2 and it's expansion races, so it's a pretty educated guess. If so, I sincerely hope we will see the Pacific and the East, or any other not so well know teather (Africa?). Or make an old dream of mine come true and give us a good WWI RTS.

Would you believe me if I say that I haven't played Company of Heroes?
It's somewhat comical, when that game came out I said to myself: "I have to get this thing, looks so awesome". And here I am, 5 years later, still haven't got a taste of that baby yet.

After a long period of no gaming whatsoever I thought I'd give Red Alert 3 a shot.

After the tutorial and a few minutes into the first mission I quit the game. The cutscenes are still pretty much the same, but I just can't take the art and style of the rest of the game. It used to be that, in RA2, they at least tried to create a semblance between the game world and the real world. Stuff was far-fetched, some of it was corny, laughable, but all in all, it was convincing in its own way.

Now it's all out childish. The tutorial had me assisted by talking tanks that actually moved so as to simulate their speech, tanks that fired streams of colourful confetti at one another in jesting bouts. Everything is brightly coloured, big and bulky in a cartoony style. It's all a joke. A vehicle that can cannonball units into the air? A psychic Japanese school girl? Mecha's? It's as if they were desperately trying to pander for an 'all ages approved' rating. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any civilians either. I guess the old RA2 style where one mission consisted solely of quelling an uprising no longer fitted with the 'My First Fisher Price RTS' style they were going for.

Perhaps it's a fun game, but it's not for me.

So, I bought mario all stars for wii a couple months ago but got distracted by dead money. I opened it a couple days ago and it's like a direct port. The menu screen controls suck. The game controls are nice, though.

I got into the All Points Bulletin Reloaded closed beta a few weeks ago and have been playing it extensively. It's actually pretty good, but it does have a lot of major problems, mainly Punkbuster being a resource-hog piece of shit that doesn't actually do anything to stop hacks/cheats (as usual). Lots of lag problems and weapon balance is out the window.

Really fucking lonely if you're playing it on your own and going only with random groups, but I got into a clan and it's become a lot more fun - we actually have communication going, unlike the random grouped gangs which don't know what the fuck the plan is and don't know what the fuck to do.

Reconite said:
I got into the All Points Bulletin Reloaded closed beta a few weeks ago and have been playing it extensively. It's actually pretty good, but it does have a lot of major problems, mainly Punkbuster being a resource-hog piece of shit that doesn't actually do anything to stop hacks/cheats (as usual). Lots of lag problems and weapon balance is out the window.

Really fucking lonely if you're playing it on your own and going only with random groups, but I got into a clan and it's become a lot more fun - we actually have communication going, unlike the random grouped gangs which don't know what the fuck the plan is and don't know what the fuck to do.

I got into the Beta too, but I quickly realized that none of my friends who played APB back in the day were on there and thus I had no one to play with anymore.

I want to get back into it but I'm not looking forward to losing dozens of matches and getting yelled at by jackasses who tried to rush people with automatic shotguns.

New Vegas, Disciples III and Serious Sam HD in co-op with my brother.

Nothing creates sibling bonds better than fighting fourty feet tall giants throwing fireballs at you together.

Sword of the Stars, New Veags, and basically every co-op game on the xbox ever; Mercs 2, Saints Row 2, Both Rainbow Six Vegas games, and whatever else me and my buddy can think of and share.

Darksiders. Good game (if a bit derivative, but I never played Devil May Cry or God of War so it doesn't bother me much) but very shoddy port, no graphical options and, get this, to throw the boomera... err crossblade, you need to press alt, then hold shift, then press middle mouse button. Very easy to do in the heat of battle, isn't it. In the end I swallowed my PC gamer pride and plugged in a gamepad, much more fun that way.

That said, turning into a huge flaming demon of kickassery and shooting down those annoying Angels with their own guns never gets old.

Back to Star Wars Galaxies on PreCU SWGemu servers. SOE really ruined this game on original shards :-x Can't imagine playing official after NGE. Emu guys are doing great job and I'm gonna stick to it for some time.

Edmond Dantès said:
After a long period of no gaming whatsoever I thought I'd give Red Alert 3 a shot.

Perhaps it's a fun game, but it's not for me.

Actually it's worse than that, RA3 is a refurbished RA2 without the good parts.

In the beginning it was love at the first sight with Tanya and Boris and the flak gunners (a little flak? and you had dolphins and squids! LOL). Then for the second instance it was funny as hell with Romanov, Yuri and Carville in Yuri's Revenge. In RA3 is lame, very lame with Cherdenko, Yoshiro and Bingham.

EA & Westwood tried to feed the same jokes again, in the same style, but without the same punch.
They did a rare thing with RA3, turning a classic, iconic, funny and always ironic setting into a endless boredom.

That's something not easy to achieve.

Back