General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Just finished Prey. The latter half of the game was a little disappointing, but still, i stick to the opinion that it's very solid.

The strongest point of the game is also it's downfall, and that is scripted events. It is highly reminiscent of Half-Life and Aliens vs Predator 2, very atmospheric. Unfortunately, a game based on scripted events equals a game with little to no replay value.

There are also some really good twists to the casual FPS experience one could expect from the game, things like gravity triggers, magnetic walkways, the spirit walk thingy.. it may sound weird but i loved how the game sometimes made me confused, even if it is extremely linear and straight-forward.

Also, some of Tommy's comments are pure gold, like when he enters a very dark corridor and mutters "It's so dark... i'm doomed!" (it's a reference to Doom III, which engine was used in Prey) xd

One of the reasons why the latter parts of the game were not as interesting for me, is that these comments become very scarce, and the other is that the game stops surprising you after a while.. it's kinda like it throws everything it has to offer in the first few levels and then it starts turning into a good, yet, generic, "go here, shoot that guy, press that button, repeat" kind of a game.

Still, it's pretty good, thumbs up.

Commandos 2, now at Castle Colditz.

I killed 15 minutes of gameplay, as I forgot to save. Fuck. Will replay this evening.

I finally got around to Halo 3. I figure that since I don't have a 360 of my own and only get to hack my way through the campaign when I go co-op at a friend's house, I may be able to fool myself into thinking that the game is sufficiently long.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

I finally started the game over this past weekend. It's fun. I'm just about to leave Santa Monica Pier area. I'm enjoying all the dialogue jokes about fetch-and-carry quests. I'm playing a Toreador first, because it seemed to have the most social/diplomatic angle going for it, and on first run-through, I wanted to spend more time exploring and talking than fighting and stealthing, which has turned out to be a good choice so far. Perhaps on later run-throughs I will try a Nosferatu. It sounds like a challenge to be so ugly that you can't let humans see you at all.

My only quibble so far is the scarcity of interactive objects in the world. Often it seems like the one thing I need in a room is the only thing I can interact with, and that diminishes the fun of exploring a bit.

However, characters, atmosphere, dialogue -- all very creative and I like it.

Misteryo

Misteryo said:
Perhaps on later run-throughs I will try a Nosferatu. It sounds like a challenge to be so ugly that you can't let humans see you at all.
be sure to play as a Nosferatu.Its really fun !

Ultima 7: The Black Gate, for the first. time. evah. I've been saving this one for a long time and it really is sweet. My introduction to the series was actually U8 (years ago), which I enjoyed very. I'm glad I played U8 first because I don't think I could ever go back to it now that I've tasted 7.

I think I've put off playing U7 all this time because I was afraid that modern control schemes had spoiled me. However, I'm finding that having to interact with inventory objects like the map, abacus and sextant to access game information actually adds alot to the immersion. So anyways, I officially understand what all the fuss is about.

Regarding Arcanum, great game, It just went on forever! However, the way throwing molotov coctails worked in turn-based mode made me feel like I was exploiting a glitch. Was throwing stuff from your quick-slots really supposed to cost zero action-points? I also found the soundtrack really depressing. Maybe it's just me, but after several hours of that overland music, I would just be too bummed out to play anymore.

BlockStacker said:
I think I've put off playing U7 all this time because I was afraid that modern control schemes had spoiled me. However, I'm finding that having to interact with inventory objects like the map, abacus and sextant to access game information actually adds alot to the immersion. So anyways, I officially understand what all the fuss is about.
Heh :) .
Ultima 7 inventory system and interaction with environment is my favourite from all cRPGs I played :) .

Mass Effect. 7 1/2 hours in, but I got off around 8 PM CDT. My bro kicked me off to play SvR 2K8. I think he has a tumor masquerading as a brain...

Call of Duty 4 - Completed
FEAR: Perseus Mandate - Completed
Gears of War - Doesn't work, will fix it later.
Crysis - Currently playing.

Oh, and Dark Crusade with buddies. Particularly, my RL friend Morgan and Mika. Although, Mika hasn't been wanting to play too much recently. :?

I just finished a campaign game, as the Rebs, of The American Civil War: The Blue and the Gray by Ageod. Best damned Strategic Level ACW game ever made.

And since their Napoleon's Campaigns has just came out I DLed it, still waiting on my physical copy, and I am gonna give the 1812 or 1813 campaigns a try. :D

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Finished Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 yesterday. I'm missing 3 or 4 chars but it's only obtainable by a random factor.

Pretty much boring, although i love the Dragon Ball concept, the history of bt3 is worse than bt2. 161 chars (including transformations/fusions) isn't that much if you consider the DB world.

The game kinda lacks on a online mode, a online versus mode or a MMORPG based game. Also a create char mode would be cool too. Other than that it was fun. I had more troubles beating up Arale than Shenron or Great Ape Baby, ironic.

@Demonslayer:

There were several Dragon Ball Z themed Half-Life mods. The concept translated rather well: Flying around, throwing energy balls at eachother, trying to sneak up behind people and savage them with melee attacks.

ah the myriad Half-Life mods... :rip:

(The Wastes was the Shiznit!)

Back