General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Sharcc said:
Carbon is at the moment my favourite, couse I like the handling,
the canyon drift races, also normal drift, it´s much better than in UG or UG2.
I finished Carbon last week, I hated the drifting and canyon races. The best bit was the police chases, though I wanted to drive one of those rino suvs in pursuit.

I've just finished Crackdown, it was fun but the road races and roof top races detracted from the storyline. Pursuit of criminals across the roof tops or around the streets would of been much more enjoyable and suitable.

It just made me wish someone would do a GTA clone where you played a honest, normal joe, cop and could rise through the ranks and choose from different departments to work in.

Currently:
Dawn of War - Dark Crusade (DoWpro mod)
C&C 3 (it sucks, I'll uninstall it pronto)
Z95
Stronghold Crusader (Warchest - 2nd Skirmish Trail)
HoMM III Complete (WoG mod)
The Witcher (though it'll get rd'ed pretty soon)

Previously:
Fallout 2 (5th re-run)
Warcraft III - The Frozen Throne (top 20 1v1 Lordaeron - got bored)
Company of Heroes (top 50 1v1 Axis - until Relic released the expansion pack and fucked up gameplay)
Civilization IV - Beyond the Sword (multiplayer was horribly unbalanced, didn't last long)

Hoka said:
Warcraft III - The Frozen Throne (top 20 1v1 Lordaeron - got bored)

:shock:

I've been playing Warcraft 3 with the expansion competitively on battlenet for 3 months. I play mostly 1v1 the same as you. My win % is about 53% and I'm level 26 ranked around 800 on the ladder.

You got in the TOP 20?! How long have you been playing and are you part of any clan? Have any particular tips or anything?

I don't believe this...I just met a WC3 hero and a Fallout forum browsing a thread about nothing in particular.

:o ,
The Vault Dweller

*EDIT*

Please don't tell me you disconnect hacked to your position or only slightly worse that you played human and towered all the time...it'll break my heart.

The Vault Dweller said:
I've been playing Warcraft 3 with the expansion competitively on battlenet for 3 months. I play mostly 1v1 the same as you. My win % is about 53% and I'm level 26 ranked around 800 on the ladder.
Hey that's pretty nice, I'm particularly fond of the top1000 tier. Once you start getting into the top 100/200, however, you'll notice a dramatic increase in the korean-micro-god population, and games will start getting excessively hard.

You got in the TOP 20?! How long have you been playing and are you part of any clan?
I've been playing since 2003, and actually 'previously' means a year and a half ago (let's say I just felt like boasting about it :P).
I first played online with a friend (he goes by MrTutu; he's a fellow argentinian player) over a clandestine PvP network. We got hooked, and decided to go ladder. Then I played for about two years, ranked 17th on the Lordaeron ladder (~60% W/L ratio), and got bored (MrTutu however actually got into the WCG finals).

I used this very same nickname, I think you can still find some of my replays on wcreplays.com
Have any particular tips or anything?
I've grown fond of grid-aligned hotkeys, though perhaps it's just personal; it took me some time to get used to since I had previously memorized the default hotkeys, but once I felt comfortable with them, I noticed a better micro performance.

Besides that, replays are the best way to improve. At first imitate, then learn the metagame.

That and playing a lot, of course.

I don't believe this...I just met a WC3 hero and a Fallout forum browsing a thread about nothing in particular.
The way I see it, there were bound to be at least two cynical bastards who enjoyed both games :) .

Please don't tell me you disconnect hacked to your position or only slightly worse that you played human and towered all the time...it'll break my heart.
Nah...hate drophackers. Though I did tower at least once :P .

PS: Are you the same Vault Dweller from rpgcodex?

Per said:
HoKa said:

Absolutely he is. You can't mistake that characteristic posting style.
I just read the news from the codex, the forums are the internet equivalent of snake pits on fire.

I can't thank you enough for answering all my questions Hoka. Although...

Then I played for about two years, ranked 17th on the Lordaeron ladder (~60% W/L ratio), and got bored (MrTutu however actually got into the WCG finals).

...the game is more than fun enough for me to play two years easily with the deep gameplay and wide strategy options, but I figure in that time with WC3 already being 5 years old the community will decrease alot (though not dissappear the game is too good to get old). I'm hoping that in the next year or the past year a game will have turned out about as balanced and varied as it and I'll pick up that game and play it two years becoming both good and at a popular game.

I have yet to try Supreme Commander and C&C3 so I don't know if they are balanced yet or have as many options (I doubt it), but if they do I'll switch to them or wait for another game. I explained this to Per, but I use to love and play Magic the Gathering religiously, but in the past year multiple changes have ruined it for me as well as other subtle things over time and I had been looking for another pasttime to fill the void that would be both fun, never get old, and be competitive.

I'll keep playing WC3 while waiting for something as good to come out that's new then I'll switch to that.

Per said:
HoKa said:

Absolutely he is. You can't mistake that characteristic posting style.

Glad Per's around to answer for me. Especially since now he read that post I don't have to send him an annoying PM saying "ZOMG look I met a WC3 God totally at random here at NMA!".

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

P.S.

What faction did you play? I only play NE. I liked them since I did best with them against the computer that I practiced against before playing online and also, because they are all nature devout.[/quote]

I started playing Syndicate Plus. It's 2D "high-res" graphics still look pretty good (in opposition to 3D Syndicate Wars) despite (or rather thanks to) the limited amounts of colours :) .

The gameplay is nice, but has two things that I dislike - no option of making buildings transparent and rebelion in conquered countries forcing player to repeat a mission instead of a special anti-insurgency mission.

The Vault Dweller said:
I can't thank you enough for answering all my questions Hoka.
No prob, my pleasure to actually find out my favorite (only :P ) codex newsposter plays WC3 (couldn't believe it, that's why I asked).

The Vault Dweller said:
...the game is more than fun enough for me to play two years easily with the deep gameplay and wide strategy options, but I figure in that time with WC3 already being 5 years old the community will decrease alot (though not dissappear the game is too good to get old). I'm hoping that in the next year or the past year a game will have turned out about as balanced and varied as it and I'll pick up that game and play it two years becoming both good and at a popular game.
WC3 is the second best balanced RTS out there (SC is the best). Plus it's fun. I grew bored out of getting into college, which practically killed my interest in competitive gaming. I've read some articles and strategies recently and things seem to have changed quite a lot, with Zeppelins playing a much more decisive part in battles.

The Vault Dweller said:
I have yet to try Supreme Commander and C&C3 so I don't know if they are balanced yet or have as many options (I doubt it), but if they do I'll switch to them or wait for another game. I explained this to Per, but I use to love and play Magic the Gathering religiously, but in the past year multiple changes have ruined it for me as well as other subtle things over time and I had been looking for another pasttime to fill the void that would be both fun, never get old, and be competitive.
I'll keep playing WC3 while waiting for something as good to come out that's new then I'll switch to that.
I have yet to try them too; still I can't find something interesting in their gameplay, guess I'm just waiting for Starcraft 2 to come out and catch up with some old friends, though reinstalling Warcraft seems kind of tempting at the moment

The only recent game that actually got me interested into online competition was Company of Heroes. However, Relic's support killed it for me. Since they released the expansion Opposing Fronts the game balance has gone down the drain, and it won't get fixed for a very long time. My old account is Barfer, I stopped playing about 3 months ago.

The Vault Dweller said:
Glad Per's around to answer for me. Especially since now he read that post I don't have to send him an annoying PM saying "ZOMG look I met a WC3 God totally at random here at NMA!".
I wasn't a god, Tutu was (1st in Lordaeron, got interviewed; got to WCG finals); he did make me feel like that when I played as his 2v2 partner though. Also remember Lordaeron is the easiest of ladders.

The Vault Dweller said:
What faction did you play? I only play NE. I liked them since I did best with them against the computer that I practiced against before playing online and also, because they are all nature devout.
I hated NE because I hate elves and nature in general :P . I played Orcs because I just love Orks from Warhammer, and at the time ghostridah was my WC3 hero.

I've fallen into FPS games craze all of a sudden, re-playing Painkiller, and finally getting around to play Prey.

Man, i have to say, the bar scene, when the UFO comes, and takes Tommy, his grandpa, and girl, away, and the jukebox plays "(Don't Fear) the Reaper", is pure $$, as well as the Half-Life'ish "transportation" scene. This game really packs alot of atmosphere, i'm so glad i finally got my hands on it.

Well i have to say silent hunter 3, This is my first foray into such games but it is really interesting.

I got it from gamestation as a buy one get one free offer along with commandos strike force I loved the commandos games but that one just sucked.

Well got around to playing the Orange Box.
Gotta love Portal but goddamn I wish it were longer, just when I start to get intrigued about the cake it's over. The levels get longer, but far too late in the game, but that's what it is I suppose, a little distraction and nothing epic. Wondering how they are going to introduce this character and perhaps the Portal gun into Half-Life, someone at Valve said it was gonna happen so it's a case of "Wait and see".
Plus, I finally got to play Episode 1 and working on 2 here soon, seems alright but a tad short, but I guess that's the territory of episodic gaming.

Arcanum (sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeett as always !)
Call OF Duty 4 (what a nice game ! )
Crysis(what a nice engine !!!!)
Gears of War(...)

Call of Cthulhu : Dark Corners of the Earth.

I just LOVE that game, even if I've already finished it. The atmosphere is totally teh win !

Back