General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Tactics Ogre arrived recently, been playing that.

Also, managed to buy Dragon Quest 5 DS for 115 bucks. That sounds like a lot and it is, but it's a steal given the current price in second hand market. It goes from 200 bucks and up, so i'm pretty happy to get it for 115. The game comes with everything, the case, the manual, everything.

Tactics Ogre arrived recently, been playing that.

Also, managed to buy Dragon Quest 5 DS for 115 bucks. That sounds like a lot and it is, but it's a steal given the current price in second hand market. It goes from 200 bucks and up, so i'm pretty happy to get it for 115. The game comes with everything, the case, the manual, everything.
It's great.

Reborn has issues but the game is so good it is still great.
Haven't ran into any issue really, no slowdows, no bugs or glitches, anything. I am playing the Switch version, so maybe it's the PC version? I wouldn't be surprised if the PC version sucked ass because Square's PC ports are notoriously utter shit.

Edit: So i did some research and this version does have a bunch of changes.

- You no longer have skills points, instead characters learn the skills in specific levels. Most skills also no longer transfer between classes outside of the ones that share the same weapon type, i.e if two classes use spear both can use the spear skills (Valkyrie and Dragoon sharing Ruination spear skill). Only four skill slots which to me just means i actually have to think hard about which skills to use instead of just being able to pick everything.

- The buff cards are a new thing. I actually kind of like them because it means i can actually do something in turns where the only thing i can is walk. Plus it can make enemy units suddenly way more dangerous when they get a damage buff card.

- Crafting is 100% guarranteed instead of a chance of failing (i actually love this because i have been playing a MMO riddled with RNG bullshit upgrading, so i'm glad it doesn't fail here).

- There's a level cap which is increased between story battles, which i actually kind of like because it's so easy to overlevel in this type of game and it means the game has an actual level curve. Plus it makes story battles more challenging because enemies are always either in my level or above mine.

- Random encounters replaced with training. Which is basically the same thing, if not for the fact that training doesn't give you money and loot, which is dumb as shit.

- HP bloat is a thing and this is legit the thing i hate. I am around level 16 and i'm starting to notice enemies have way too much health. Plus apparently healing spells weren't scaled to the new hp numbers and it makes them less useful.

I haven't played the original or PSP versions though. If i had actually played them i probably would have been angry at some of these changes. But apparently each version has their differences, so i guess it's up to people which version they like.

I'm still having a blast with the story, characters and gameplay anyway.

Last edited:
Haven't ran into any issue really, no slowdows, no bugs or glitches, anything. I am playing the Switch version, so maybe it's the PC version? I wouldn't be surprised if the PC version sucked ass because Square's PC ports are notoriously utter shit.

Edit: So i did some research and this version does have a bunch of changes.

- You no longer have skills points, instead characters learn the skills in specific levels. Most skills also no longer transfer between classes outside of the ones that share the same weapon type, i.e if two classes use spear both can use the spear skills (Valkyrie and Dragoon sharing Ruination spear skill). Only four skill slots which to me just means i actually have to think hard about which skills to use instead of just being able to pick everything.

- The buff cards are a new thing. I actually kind of like them because it means i can actually do something in turns where the only thing i can is walk. Plus it can make enemy units suddenly way more dangerous when they get a damage buff card.

- Crafting is 100% guarranteed instead of a chance of failing (i actually love this because i have been playing a MMO riddled with RNG bullshit upgrading, so i'm glad it doesn't fail here).

- There's a level cap which is increased between story battles, which i actually kind of like because it's so easy to overlevel in this type of game and it means the game has an actual level curve. Plus it makes story battles more challenging because enemies are always either in my level or above mine.

- Random encounters replaced with training. Which is basically the same thing, if not for the fact that training doesn't give you money and loot, which is dumb as shit.

- HP bloat is a thing and this is legit the thing i hate. I am around level 16 and i'm starting to notice enemies have way too much health. Plus apparently healing spells weren't scaled to the new hp numbers and it makes them less useful.

I haven't played the original or PSP versions though. If i had actually played them i probably would have been angry at some of these changes. But apparently each version has their differences, so i guess it's up to people which version they like.

I'm still having a blast with the story, characters and gameplay anyway.
Yeah I played a little of the PSP version and I noticed. Training is the worst change I think. Still amazing game as you said.

Yeah I played a little of the PSP version and I noticed.
I noticed myself that plenty of people consider the stuff the PSP version added to be just bloat. I think it would have been amazing if you had all three versions in one package, so that you could more or less please the most people.

To be fair it takes five seconds to get the PSP version running on your computer. I think it might make changes that makes you uber powerful if you are a super autist which is why they dialed it back.

Shoutout to all the Tropico 1 heads out there. I have literally never played 3-6. What makes the sequels so popular with people? I tried to play Tropico 3 and the early 3D graphics turned me off so much that I didn't play much more than the tutorial. Surely the mechanics of the game must be what draws so many people to the sequels. What changed after the first game?
In addition to that, a game that gets even less love on these forums is Rollercoaster Tycoon. The online community for RCT2 is still extremely active. I played a ton of vanilla RCT2 this year.

I've played Tropico 1 with the icons above the ' Peebles' heads like the 'Sims'. Also I played Railroad Tycoon2 platinum and Industry Giant 2.
I had Tropico 3, 4 and 5 on an older puter.

All of the above games have been re-hashed, upgraded, dumbed down, sometimes just remakes with a few things ironed out supposedly to make things within the game easier or more playable.

I also played Stronghold Crusader (Isometric). I am not sure if it was Stronghold 2 that attempted to make 3D graphics of objects but similar to yourself I played a few scenarios but then binned it as it looked bad, played bad and the voicing was shite.

I won't mention EA Sports as I want to keep my blood pressure at a reasonable level ;p

Shoutout to all the Tropico 1 heads out there. I have literally never played 3-6. What makes the sequels so popular with people? I tried to play Tropico 3 and the early 3D graphics turned me off so much that I didn't play much more than the tutorial. Surely the mechanics of the game must be what draws so many people to the sequels. What changed after the first game?
In addition to that, a game that gets even less love on these forums is Rollercoaster Tycoon. The online community for RCT2 is still extremely active. I played a ton of vanilla RCT2 this year.
Tropico 3 sucks. If you want to try 3D Tropico, try Tropico 4, it's much better than 3. I never played 5 or 6 so I can't really say if they are better or worse than 4.

Just bought;
Elden Ring, Jedi Fallen Order and Judgement. Also bought Pentiment but that was out of the Sale and I already played over 3 hours of it so now I can't ask for my money back and buy it discounted lmao FML.

Both Steam and GOG Winter Sales are on but I cannot spot any bargains as of yet.

starjew vallley.png

Back