GOG.com does dumb stunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh fuck no, i was planning on buying a lot old games from these guys...Outcast included! :(

Wooz said:
So, eh. Don't worry about TW2, it's coming out. Rock solid.

I sure as hell hope so, because if anything comes in the way of The Witcher 2 I am gonna commit suicide! The Witcher 2 is my baby.

Read my goddamn posts thoroughly, you ISAF target you. They're rebranding the whole thing in order to sell games with DRM.

I thought that might be a possibility (bought out by Steam), but that's just the first thought that entered my head and there's no information to support it (well, Ausir's link now).

IMO it wouldn't be half bad. Steam should give some love to the old games too. And it would make many GOG titles available to a lot more players, especially the younger ones, who may have missed the golden days of good old games.

Not to mention a good alternative to all those crappy $40+ new games.

SkuLL said:
And it would make many GOG titles available to a lot more players, especially the younger ones, who may have missed the golden days of good old games.

Young gamers don't play old games. You can't take a kid raised on regenerating health, checkpoint saves every 3 minutes, blinding HDR, spoon-fed plots, and achievements; and expect him to play a retro game with 'gay' graphics.

My console progression was Genesis > SNES/Gamegear/Gameboy Color (purple clear one, fuck yeah)> Playstation > Nintendo 64 > Dreamcast > Playstation 2 > Xbox.

I can hop right into any game from those years; but no matter how hard I try, I can't bring myself to play games released before that. They just feel way too dated (Sorry Wasteland).

I think the same applies today with a kid whose first console was a 360 or PS3.

Well, I do know some young gamers who started with FO3 and then played FO1 and 2 and loved them (although I do realize they are in the minority).

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude said:
Young gamers don't play old games. You can't take a kid raised on regenerating health, checkpoint saves every 3 minutes, blinding HDR, spoon-fed plots, and achievements; and expect him to play a retro game with 'gay' graphics.
Yeah, I thought so as well... But one of the reasons people don't play old games is that it's a bitch to get them to run on modern machines, if you can even find them at all.

I'm sure that at least more people would try old games if they were fully optimised and accessible through Steam. I imagine a lot of Steam users don't really have a powerful rig either, and Valve does try to cater for everybody's needs...

Even if it's not confirmed yet I'm certain it's a PR stunt.

As glad as I am to see them stay in business I have to admit this is the worst idea for publicity ever.

As much as I'd hate to see DRM needed for the games they sell I considered it just a small bonus without. I bought stuff from GOG specifically, because many of the games were too old/obscure to find in a store or outside of a collectible place. This meant that games I either could never find or would never pay that much for were not in reach of being bought.

It's the first and so far only digital download service I've used. I hope they stay and also add a lot of games. I'm specifically waiting for P:T, VtM, and Deus Ex all of which I'll never get to play unless they end up there.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

They just posted the following video on their main page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDRvuKjissQ

It features a very quick snapshot of Baldur's Gate near the end (pause the video). They didn't have that available before closing down, so the only explanation is that either someone made a mistake, or they're hinting at things to come.

No way in hell they are going out of business. This was a dumb-ass ploy plain and simple.

sea said:
It features a very quick snapshot of Baldur's Gate near the end
How the fuck did you notice that!? :shock:

Nice one. I wonder what will happen with GOG, but now I'm pretty sure it's not gonna just disappear...

this was a stupid move.

by announcing this most people wont think of buying new stuff, but rather logging into their account and downloading what they bought.

very sharp spike in their bandwidth usage without any real new income to speak of.

should have thought it through.

Stupid bastards. It wasn't even a great event - 'some new features' and 'some new games' like Baldur's Gate. Wow.

"Oh noes, the Pope is dead! The anti-Christ shall devour all our souls!"

[few days later]

"We were just kidding, the Pope is fine. He's getting a new hat, so we thought we'd pull a little joke on everyone."

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ATNd4qbNTf8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back